Search results

1. J

Port Chester Mickey

Roy Futternick! That little guy could really play. He got right down on the table and shot everything in. He spent many years dealing (Craps, Blackjack and Roulette) up in Reno and may still be there. Great guy and a very smart man! He knew all the odds. A great handicapper.
  2. J

5 rack game?

Larger pockets help! ;) At DCC we used 4.25" corners.
  3. J

My report on the "Express rules" used at Buffalo's last week

I have used the Grady rule in several One Pocket tournaments we put on at Hard Times. Simply put, it works! Just use it from the start of the match and you won't have to change the rules midway in the match. My experience was that by using it all the time players quickly remember and are looking...
  4. J

Port Chester Mickey

I knew Roy (he may still be alive down there in San Dego. I don't know). He was a hardcore junkie, but when he was on the juice he could shoot lights out. It took a Swanee or a Keith to reel him in. And even for them it was a struggle. Then he might not play anyone for months at a time. No one...
  5. J

5 rack game?

One year when we were doing the One Pocket Challenge, Alex propositioned me with a bet, after I told him the world was an underdog to shoot 45 on the first try. This was the same night he had run 55 an hour or so before. He wanted to bet me 500 he could do it on his first try. How could I say no...
  6. J

John Henderson passes away...

Thank you Mary. What a huge void there will be for Pool in California. John exemplified everything that was good and fun about playing pool here. Wherever he went he brightened the mood! He and I played exactly one time, twenty a game. He gave me 9-8, 9-7 and we broke even. That was over fifty...
  7. J

MOT Group Photo

It's a lot easier when you're hanging onto the pool table when you try to get up. ;)
  8. J

California Billiards

Thank you Chris for being such a good host. You have a beautiful room! I'm always glad to see successful poolrooms. It proves it can still be done. I always say that people (all people) are looking for places to go to enjoy themselves. NO ONE wants to stay home all day, every day!
  9. J

California Billiards

Haters gotta hate.
  10. J

2nd Euro OnePocket.org tournament -- player sponsor!

I'll chip in 100 Steve. Will send to you on Paypal.
  11. J

2nd Euro OnePocket.org tournament -- player sponsor!

What about Chicago Mike, our recent winner at California Billiards. If he can go I will throw in $100 toward his expenses.
  12. J

Official entry list for 2023 MOT California Billiards

You play great Mike and are a very deserving champion. You earned it! Plus you're a great guy and not afraid to get in the box and mix it up. All attributes of a real player! Hope to see you down the road. I'll be better prepared next time, I promise. Jaybird (Freddy's name for me). P.S. You...
  13. J

The sheer amount of pool knowledge in that group is unreal! The tales they could tell and the things they could teach are truly amazing. Oh, if only we could capture all that and put it on tape. Since I thought about it then it must be my responsiblity. I'll see what I can do.
  14. J

I want to thank Steve Booth and Chris Swart for putting this event on. It has been fun for me to see many old friends and make a few new ones. I surprised myself on day one by winning a couple of matches. I literally had not picked up a cue for over a year when I arrived on Thursday and hadn’t...
  15. J

There you go, problem solved.
  16. J

With Chris Atkins. One Ball One Pocket at its best, one ball for the match!
  17. J

What to do what to do

Maybe I'm crazy but if I need only one ball I'm going to play very conservative and remove these balls from this end of the table, especially if I have no clear (and free) shot at my pocket. I will shoot directly at the six and stick the cue ball on the rail right there. I want to bank the six...