Search results

1. B

Jimmy Mataya Passed

Just heard JM passed. No specifics as of yet. One of the all time good players and personalities in our game. RIP JM.
  2. B

Back Gammon vs Chess; Which One is Most Like One Pocket

We seem to refer to One Pocket as Chess on a pool table. I got to thinking more about this and to me, One Pocket is more like Back Gammon. I believe this because Chess is impirical and Back Gammon isn't because of the dice and nerve and luck that are intertwined in the game. When evenly matched...
  3. B

HOF One Pocket

I haven't heard anything about our next HOF inductee, if any? A while back I mentioned Eddie Robbins posthumously and that was put on the back burner. In going over some of my old photos, I saw one for Marvin Henderson. Back in my early days, he was on par with Ronnie Allen, Ed Kelly and Jack...
  4. B

DCC 2024

Has anyone had problems entering the events? I can't seem to log in and register?
  5. B

CBD and ME

A friend gave me a jar of CBD creme for my knee and back pain. Of course he also told me to lose weight but that's another story. So, I used the creme for the first time at the Seniors One Pocket Event and Wow it works!!!!!! I was almost free of pain and played many a long match ( which I'm...
  6. B

California Billiards MOT

Chris Swart and company made us all feel right at home. CA Billiards is nothing short of FIRST CLASS. It's a treat to play there. The tournament went well although there was some confusion about us playing two or three rounds on friday. Steve Booth worked very hard to keep things moving and...
  7. B

Going to Columbia SC

My wife and I are going to Columbia SC next week to visit our son. Last year he took me to Grady's old room in Livingston SC. This year I'm bringing my cue. Does anyone know if any players play out of that room? I'm not looking to get steered just if it's worth my time to hang there a little and...
  8. B

Three Consecutive Fouls

I'm sure this has been addressed but, how are we counting fouls these days? If I owe one and then you owe one, nobody owes anything? So how do we count three consecutive fouls by the same player? LOL is there a seperate stack of pennies stored somewhere?
  9. B

The Pilot

The Pilot flew in and we matched up yesterday at my place. Every time we play we have a good time. Fortunately for me, I held my own. Word to the wise should you play him. He's deadly on those straight back banks. No Grady rule for us. HA........Thanks Jim for the match.
  10. B

DCC One Pocket Rules Changes

The rules changes initiated this year at DCC had little if any impact on the time it took to play the event. Because of the high number of players, all levels of skill were represented. So, if two players or more of a lower skill played each other then those matches would slow the brackets down...
  11. B

Dementia/Alzheimers and Pool

To my knowledge we have never discussed dementia and/or alzheimers disease(s) as they may relate to pool. So, a friend who has profound dementia came into the poolroom with her girlfriend. She played pool somewhere areound a "6" APA or low 500's Fargo rating. She couldn't remember me or her own...
  12. B

The Pilot In Ventura, Ca.

Jim (Pilot) flew into the area and we matched up tuesday. He gave me another banking lesson in One Pocket. But, I squeaked out a couple of games ahead BEFORE I QUIT HIM WINNERS. Quiting him winners after about 9 hours of play wasn't too bad a move. For those of you who haven't had the...
  13. B

Harold Worst

I wanted to get some information about the great Harold Worst. We've mentioned him a few times but mostly about his appearances in Johnson City. I went on line and discovered a few facts. But, those may not be facts in reality. A few of our members may be able to shed some light on his short but...
  14. B

The Pilot Came To Town

The Pilot came to Ventura yesterday and we played a little One Pocket. We played about seven hours and I was fortunate to break even. Jim put some bank shots on me that were 'WORLD CLASS." He had me scratching my head with the pounding he put on me. I had him games where I had 6/1 leads and lost...
  15. B

Fremont California One Pocket

Heading to Fremont Ca. this weekend for their monthly event. What's different this month is that about $1800 is added with a $30 entry. Chris Swart (owner) sponsered our Members Event a few years back and we all had a good time there. The Pilot beat me out for 1st and the live stream was POV...
  16. B

Predator Tour

I've been watching recent events which were sponsored by Predator and Matchroom Sports. Wow, there presentations and prize funds are so much better than anything I've seen lately. Predator now makes cues, cloth and tables. They have invested a lot of money and time to corner the market and I...
  17. B

HALL OF FAME

A couple of years ago I nominated Eddie Robbins for the HOF. I'd like to rekindle that nomination process again.
  18. B

Analytics in One Pocket

After watching a lot of Baseball and then Pro Football recently, I got to thinking what kind of ANALYTICS could be applied to Pool more specifically One Pocket? Being a decent player, I could think of several situations where Analytics might work. Examples might be sending the cueball up table...
  19. B

John Henderson

I reently spoke with our colleague and friend. John gave me approval to share some of his medical problems with you guys. John has had a bout with cancer and needed spinal surgery and other interventions. He is currently in a nursing facility receiving physical therapy and is beginning his road...
  20. B

Joe Porper

I just heard that Joe Porper passed recently. He was a decent player from the Los Angeles area but his forte was Creative Inventions in which he manufactured cues, cases and pool/billiard products for the pool playing community. He was a fun guy to be around. I knew him since about 1966 and...