DCC Rules - a visual quandary

unoperro

Verified Member
Watching the Ed vs. Oscar match neither player observed the no dual negative scores. The players were not slow but it was 2 hours and the second game wasn't finished.

The players were advised about the Grady rule but didn't change play. If they had I believe 4 balls may have needed to be spotted up?

I wonder how much the fouls go away rule would have effected the game and the length of the game?

unoperro

Verified Member
This is the 1:57 minute mark when a ref is advising the players about the Grady rule.Screenshot_20240404_082815_Chrome.jpg

Dennis "Whitey" Young

Verified Member
From
Klamath Falls, Or.
unopero,
I suspect that the players agreed prior to the match not to play by DCC rules, and this probably happens a lot. Or, players just play standard OP rules and do not even consider thinking about DCC rules. It takes two players in agreement to do this otherwise it is a no go!

But, in this case I believe the ref. did his job. He told the players @ 2 hr. they were to go to the Grady rule, then he left. What the ref. to do, stay there when "ALL" the other tables are in the same situation.

The Rule; if the match is not over in 2 hrs. then it goes on the Grady rule. I talked with Greg Sullivan about how he might get some push back on this 2 hr. rule. I do not believe he realized that if the match is not finished in 2 hrs, the rule goes into effect.

But I think it is somewhat wasted when it goes into effect in 2 hrs., because not many matches end in 2 hrs., so what is the point for many players to play faster because they are not going to get the match done anyway. It would be better at 3 hrs. That would be a more realistic 'Threat'.

So the Ref. considered these players, top notch, and he is not staying there to watch these players. There is no concern here. The rule is not for pros, never was, because the pros will get the match done in time. The rule is for the everyday players that might stretch a match out for hours.

It is one thing to have a rule and another to enforce it, not possible with this many tables in play. So I would, and I believe many matches ignored the new rules. The rule is an unenforceable threat in this venue, but works to speed up play..

I can see many pros waving the 45 degree rule, why not, who at this level wants their play dumb down to the lowest standard of play possible.

The 4 hr. rule is the only important rule. On your match card mark your start time, to avoid problems.
Whitey

Last edited:

Dennis "Whitey" Young

Verified Member
From
Klamath Falls, Or.
Rules can and will be taken advantage of.
The DCC 45 degree rule; this allows a player to legally play a shot that would be otherwise illegal. If you elevate your cue butt 45 degrees or more then you shoot an illegal shot. This is how DCC handles close proximity shots, They do this because of referee nutrition.

So here is the scenario; a player elevates his but and what would be otherwise illegal, pushes the ob and cb into the center of the stack.
-1pt, but no, because his opponent now buried within the stack has to tap, so the fouls offset. And if the opponent was on a foul, now he is in trouble, because there is going to come another tap trap. Now the 3 foul limit comes into play.

So the Offsetting Fouls rule invites the taking of an intentional, and when you couple this with the 45 degree rule, then wow, what a weapon.

A huge weapon! Especially beings that DCC does not recognize illegal trapping within the stack, There is no consequences for this tactic.

To compound the effects of DCC OP rules, they are widely used by TD's. Dumb down low standard of play are now excepted and used by many. Why, they are short and simply written, easy to understand, and they are DCC rules by the way.

There is a better way to go than the 45 degree rule, and I will post a thread on how to solve the 45 degree rule for DCC.
Whitey

Last edited:

unoperro

Verified Member
Whitey I was not questioning the rules or the ref.
I posed the question how would have the match been effected by actually playing by the rules?

Dennis "Whitey" Young

Verified Member
From
Klamath Falls, Or.
Whitey I was not questioning the rules or the ref.
I posed the question how would have the match been effected by actually playing by the rules?
I answered the question about 'Offsetting Fouls'.
The Grady Rule; Since your question is specific to this match; as you see they did not pay attention to the ref. so there was a number of balls up table past the head string. As you witnesses the play got behind those balls and thus there was scoring generated on those balls.

So the Grady Rule in this instance would of had a profound effect upon this game.

The Grady Rule does effect the game, especially for those players that thrive at up table game. The up table game is a huge discipline of OP. A discipline that if not learned can and would be devastating for players that do not play it well.

For me, the up table game would be very hard for me, not from a shooting or banking stand point but from the knowledge of the correct safety play.
Take that away and it is a huge advantage for the players the move down table.

For me, it is not the best way to change the game to speed it up.

Does this surface unopero, of is there something else.?
Whitey

u12armresl

Verified Member
Sucks because I don't know anyone who doesn't like Oscar.

Maybe the ref stays there a few innings, gives one more warning and then starts penalizing?

Dennis "Whitey" Young

Verified Member
From
Klamath Falls, Or.
Unopero,
As far as offsetting fouls, as I stated it encourages the taking of an intentional. It does not have any affect upon a match if only one player fouls, it takes both players to foul. I believe it has a slight effect upon speeding up the game.

To better answer your question; I could not here the agreement the ref. made with the players, could you?
But, you see that Hobbs broke open the 3 spotted balls, so he wants to open them up because he is behind in the score.
Therefore, if they would of played by the Grady rule, then there would of been once again a line of balls spotted. Hobbs would of broke those balls up again, IMO.
Hobbs gets it on, as does Oscar, and they both go for their hole. Very enjoyable to watch.

***** Those players that went to DCC this year could really comment on your thread. I'd really like to here from them!

I really only commented on this thread because no one had put up a comment. I hate when a member threads and does not get a comment. Many of us have been there and done that, not very encouraging for members to thread.

thanks for threading!
Whitey

unoperro

Verified Member
How many fouls occurred? I hope everyone realizes a ball has to be made for each of those- iirc that 1st game was at least 12 to 10. You can't believe that doesn't take longer then playing 8/8.