Practice

Ross Keith Thompson

Verified Member
From
madisonville, texas
Sometimes I would practice at the first table at the end of the bar at LeCue Club in downtown Houston.
I only practiced when the main core of hustlers were gone. I usually would practice deeper in the pool room so as not to draw attention.

Tall Jeff would do the same, that is practice further from the main crowd. He couldn’t get away from me if I saw him practicing I was there.

I watched him a few times and knew I would never beat him playing 9 ball! He was insane like Incardona. For an hour Jeff would shoot the toughest shot on the table, pounding every ball he shot never missing a ball!

Probably the best practice session I’ve seen and he shot the breeze to me the whole time, unbelievable.

Anywho, I’m practicing at the first table and Dotti Breit “Jersey Red’s wife” is setting at the bar corner front row seat to my table.

Red wasn’t there with her that night and was probably spying for him bahaha. But I knocked a few balls around then started practicing 14-1.

After an hour or better I quit an started knocking balls around again.

She immediately said what did you for your at 106. I didn’t know what to say I wasn’t counting.

But I started counting after that night every time I practiced 14-1. I would stop if I ran 60-80 balls so no one would see a 100 ball run! Also I would get a little bored with it.

But I had to practice 14-1 cause Duke and Jersey Red told me I had to bahaha.

I was 17 when she busted me running a 100 plus. I’m sure she told Red Bahahaha

The 14-1 paid off in Johnston City against Lassiter and Ronnie in 1970, put 60 plus on Wimpy with my only shot, put 70 on Ronnie and got a win only because I practiced the game!

All the good playerswould practice away from the crowd so no one would see how good they played.

Sometimes I would B S with Dotti when Red wasn’t there and she was cool. But she was a dam good Spy, she was very observant in the pool room. I didn’t practice in front of her again! Bahahaha

Dennis "Whitey" Young

Verified Member
From
Klamath Falls, Or.
Keith,
I recall you thread on the importance of practicing 14.1.

Great story, and what historic figures you grew up around in learning this game. You were very fortunate, indeed.
It sure is nice seeing you back threading, I hope you come with some more stories, about LeCue.
Take care, Whitey

Last edited: