Has anyone yet played on "new design" Diamond rails?

iusedtoberich

Verified Member
If you have played on this new Diamond rail design, does it play one hole like a GC now? I'm looking only for personal experiences, not what you heard from others. I'm also looking for player's experiences, not mechanics, which might be biased. Only talking about how the balls react off the rails, not the other factors like how the pockets play.

In order to have played on this rail design, it has to be about 6 months old or newer, OR, be an older table that was retrofitted by cutting the rails with a circular saw by one of only 5 or 6 people in the country.

Thank you for your feedback.

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
From
Ghosttown
iutbr.....send berniep a pm and ask him....I talked to Bernie recently and we were talking about the new Diamond rails...I can't remember now what he told me - he either told me he had tried out the new Diamond rails, or that a pool hall in town was going to have them soon and he was going to then start playing on them.

- Ghost

Last edited:

bernie p

Verified Member
iusedtoberich said:
If you have played on this new Diamond rail design, does it play one hole like a GC now? I'm looking only for personal experiences, not what you heard from others. I'm also looking for player's experiences, not mechanics, which might be biased. Only talking about how the balls react off the rails, not the other factors like how the pockets play.

In order to have played on this rail design, it has to be about 6 months old or newer, OR, be an older table that was retrofitted by cutting the rails with a circular saw by one of only 5 or 6 people in the country.

Thank you for your feedback.

Hi IUTBR,

I have recently (last week) played on 3 older Diamond Pros (3 piece slate) with the newly refurbished black diamond k-55 rubber, in Phoenix, AZ. They were done by one of Diamond's Certified table mechanics.

My first impression is that they appear to play very close to modern day Gold crown specs in that the rubber definitely banks longer (arguably truer) that original Diamond rubber. The new rails are approx 15% slower than previous, ie not as "boingy".

Given that the cloth is brand new and still obviously sliding, it will be difficult to tell the true banking angles for a couple of weeks. Having said that, if you were a Gold Crown fan before (and not necessarily a Diamond fan) then I think most players will just love the new spec.

FWIW, when I first started playing on a Diamond a couple of years ago, I really did not care for the transition from GC's to Diamond but have since come to prefer the rail speed of the Diamond, most certainly for 1P and 14.1. I play approx 90% of my IP on a Diamond and have absolutely no desire to play IP on an older GC. It really is a completely different game, not much different to say playing Tennis on a clay court verses a grass court. I find the Diamond rail angles to be much more consistent, albeit playing "shorter". Hopefully it won't be too much of a transition to revert back to a "longer" rail.

The pool room in question has currently refurbished 5 or 6 of 7 total Diamonds and will soon be doing the same thing on the remaining 5 GC's that are seriously dilapidated.

I will be very eager to sample the "side by side" comparison of the completed Diamond verses GC to see with my own eyes that they will play identical, as promised by the table mechanic. Given the extreme high quality of the completed Diamonds I have little doubt that they will. I would anticipate that any discerning IP player, having sampled both tables that play the same will be pestering their local Poolroom owners to sign up for this "surgery" as soon as possible, especially if their room has a mixture of Diamonds and GC's. (If Jimmy Joe, owner of Kolby's Billiards/Tempe, AZ is reading this.......please don't shoot the messenger :D )

If I understand correctly, all large tournaments that utilize Diamond tables will be incorporating the new Diamond spec rubber, starting with the recently finished US 9 ball open and the upcoming DCC.

As a side note, the pockets on all of these 12 diamonds/GC's will be cut identical to match the 4 1/2" current Diamond spec so playing IP on any these tables will be, in theory, exactly the same. If the newer GC's do infact match the playability of the new Diamonds, then I will certainly update my older home GC table to the new spec, (hopefully before GCC;) .)

I will be sure to post an update when I have compared both the completed Diamonds and GC's.

Thanks.

Bernie.

jrhendy

Verified Member
From
Placerville, CA
bernie p said:
Hi IUTBR,

. I play approx 90% of my IP on a Diamond and have absolutely no desire to play IP on an older GC. Bernie.

Guess where I want to play LOL.

Played Bobby Emmons in Mtn View Friday & Saturday. Won a little on Friday & got tortured on Saturday when I played poorly and we played on a table that had been covered the night before. He was running balls from everywhere on the softer equipment. I need a tight table to try & outmove him and have a chance.

Looking forward to seeing you at the Derby. John

bernie p

Verified Member
jrhendy said:
Guess where I want to play LOL.

Played Bobby Emmons in Mtn View Friday & Saturday. Won a little on Friday & got tortured on Saturday when I played poorly and we played on a table that had been covered the night before. He was running balls from everywhere on the softer equipment. I need a tight table to try & outmove him and have a chance.

Looking forward to seeing you at the Derby. John

Hi John,

Hopefully you don't have enough clout to have Greg Sullivan sneek in an old GC at the DCC:D

A wise ole' sage such as yourself should know better than to give Bobby E even a little "air". He has been know to freewheel. I agree, ya gotta squeeze them younguns' on tighter equipment;)

If it makes you feel better, he had me stuck 7 games recently until I tightened up the game and felt like a winner at being stuck just 1 game.:rolleyes: ....but then again.....I heard you were giving him a little something of a spot........umm.....One Pocket Ghost and I may have to do a lil' adjustin' with you.......just sayin' :p .

See you at Derby.

Bernie.

jrhendy

Verified Member
From
Placerville, CA
bernie p said:
Hi John,

Hopefully you don't have enough clout to have Greg Sullivan sneek in an old GC at the DCC:D

A wise ole' sage such as yourself should know better than to give Bobby E even a little "air". He has been know to freewheel. I agree, ya gotta squeeze them younguns' on tighter equipment;)

If it makes you feel better, he had me stuck 7 games recently until I tightened up the game and felt like a winner at being stuck just 1 game.:rolleyes: ....but then again.....I heard you were giving him a little something of a spot........umm.....One Pocket Ghost and I may have to do a lil' adjustin' with you.......just sayin' :p .

See you at Derby.

Bernie.

No spot, we played even both days. When he got rolling on the new cloth he started running balls like crazy and the games were over in minutes. Beat me nine games in about three hours.

I don't have enough clout to get us a Gold Crown, but I am hoping & praying The Ghost shoots some of the shots he posts on the website that he claims he shoots. That might be too much for you to overcome.

jtompilot

Verified Member
From
New Orleans
Hey Bernie, How is Diamond playing shorter better. The old standard is angle in = angle out except on about half of the Diamonds out there that bank so short.

I like Diamonds but they are so inconsistant betwween different rooms. I had back to back trips, Pittsburgh and Cincinnati and there was a big adjustment between rooms. Some Diamonds bank short and some are close to a GC.

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
From
Ghosttown
jrhendy said:
I don't have enough clout to get us a Gold Crown, but I am hoping & praying The Ghost shoots some of the shots he posts on the website that he claims he shoots. That might be too much for you to overcome.

Sorry to disappoint you John, but I'm just going to be playing safe/squeezing you every shot ;) I'm letting Bernie do all of the shooting for our team - he's still got young eyes...:)

- Ghosty

jrhendy

Verified Member
From
Placerville, CA
One Pocket Ghost said:
Sorry to disappoint you John, but I'm just going to be playing safe/squeezing you every shot ;) I'm letting Bernie do all of the shooting for our team - he's still got young eyes...:)

- Ghosty

That strategy will get you busted. Remember he is shooting every fourth shot & it will be hard for him to stay in stroke. You will have to pony up a little offense yourself.

Just trying to help. The more I think about this match, I may just open up the rail for a little more $$.

bernie p

Verified Member
jtompilot said:
Hey Bernie, How is Diamond playing shorter better. The old standard is angle in = angle out except on about half of the Diamonds out there that bank so short.

I like Diamonds but they are so inconsistant betwween different rooms. I had back to back trips, Pittsburgh and Cincinnati and there was a big adjustment between rooms. Some Diamonds bank short and some are close to a GC.

Hi JTom,

For me, it is not necessarily better that the Diamond I play on is shorter, it's just that I've become so familiar with it, that I now am used to it compared to a GC.

I have played on Diamonds in several locations and they have all been essentially the same when it comes to cushion rebound angles. The rubber consistency that I mentioned on a Diamond refers to the "crispness" of rebound angle verses what I would call "mushy" or a little bit less predictable on the GC.

Perhaps the GC's that I play on occasionally have varying age and differing types of old rubber on them, and so perhaps play with less consistency.

Thanks.

Bernie.

bernie p

Verified Member
One Pocket Ghost said:

- Ghosty

Ghosty.....and I thought I was the Mover and you were the Shaker:eek:

Bernie.

bernie p

Verified Member
jrhendy said:
That strategy will get you busted. Remember he is shooting every fourth shot & it will be hard for him to stay in stroke. You will have to pony up a little offense yourself.

Just trying to help. The more I think about this match, I may just open up the rail for a little more $$.

John........smooth.......very smooth:cool: I like your style.......:D

Bernie.

SJDinPHX

Suspended
Just a thought John...

Just a thought John...

jrhendy said:
:cool:

You could be right Bernie, he very well could be shaking:eek:

I suggest you play them as soon after my match with the Ghost, as possible...He will be either euphoric, or semi-comatose, and, either way, Bernie may
not be able to carry him...:p :p :p

SJDinPHX said:
I suggest you play them as soon after my match with the Ghost, as possible...He will be either euphoric, or semi-comatose, and, either way, Bernie may
not be able to carry him...:p :p :p

LOL:D :eek:

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
bernie p said:
For me, it is not necessarily better that the Diamond I play on is shorter, it's just that I've become so familiar with it, that I now am used to it compared to a GC.

I have played on Diamonds in several locations and they have all been essentially the same when it comes to cushion rebound angles. The rubber consistency that I mentioned on a Diamond refers to the "crispness" of rebound angle verses what I would call "mushy" or a little bit less predictable on the GC.
I feel the same way as do you. I'm used to the Diamond shorter banking angles, and also to playing in the Gulf Coast humidity. Those conditions always throw me when playing in the North or West.

Now you say that the new Diamond rubber will likely be used at the DCC. So in my case there will be two conditions to get accustomed to: the "longer" rebound Diamond rails, and also the dryness-- which will also cause the banks to go longer.:eek:

Doc