Ghost's Shot Choice #10

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
From
Ghosttown
I had this situation come up last night - it's similar to the cross-corner choice that I posted up a few weeks back...

It's my shot, I have the bottom pocket, I need both balls, and he needs one...I can't bank the 4ball - there's a kiss...I'm deciding whether to bank the 1ball or not....The angle is such, that if I shoot pocket speed with inside english and hit it well, I can make it, get the cueball over to the long rail, and have dead-ahead shape for the cross-corner on the 4ball to win the game...The first wei-table shows this happening...

The second wei-table shows what could happen if I dont make the bank or leave it in the jaws, and I don't get the cueball all the way to the rail...now I left my opponent a very makeable slice down the rail to win the game, and he'll probably shoot it...

For me, my decision probably depends on who I'm playing, and how likely I think they are to make the cut down the rail, if I miss the bank....if I'm playing a super straight shooter like SVB, I might not shoot the bank - if I'm playing a normal guy who misses a few shots, then I'll probably go for the bank...

Would you shoot the bank or not? - (In serious game conditions, like playing in the DCC tournament for example)

- Ghost

[CUETABLE]http://CueTable.com/P/?@2AYjx3DaYa2PPms2UYjx2UcEa4Ucpt2kPms2kYDH2kbgJ1kbNG@[/CUETABLE]

[CUETABLE]http://CueTable.com/P/?@2AaAv3DaIe2PQcs2UaAv2Ubve4UcXW4URdk2kQcs2kYLF2kbXH1kVPc@[/CUETABLE]

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
One Pocket Ghost said:
Would you shoot the bank or not?

You betcha ! Of course I have a touch like a feather dipped in oil. ;) The inside english will prevent the bank coming short, and most won't shoot the 4 ball with the 1 ball in front of the pocket.
Rod.

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
One Pocket Ghost said:
(In serious game conditions, like playing in the DCC tournament for example)

- Ghost
Ghosty,

I've got to hand it to you, you are one funny f@@king Ghost:p :D :eek: .

I would not shoot the bank.

Dennis

vapros

Verified Member
From
baton rouge, la
Ghosty, I have to ask - what percentage of the time will you make this bank?
Also, at this angle, can you hit it at pocket speed and get the CB all the way across the table? Looks like that would be tough. Tell us what you did and how it turned out.

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
Ghost -- I like the shot you diagrammed if I had seen it :)

But, do you think early in the week at Derby City the tables might be playing so long the other bank could go without a kiss?

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
From
Ghosttown
NH Steve said:
Ghost -- I like the shot you diagrammed if I had seen it :)
But, do you think early in the week at Derby City the tables might be playing so long the other bank could go without a kiss?

Not a chance Steve - you couldn't even get it within half a diamond of the pocket.

vapros said:
Ghosty, I have to ask - what percentage of the time will you make this bank?
Also, at this angle, can you hit it at pocket speed and get the CB all the way across the table? Looks like that would be tough. Tell us what you did and how it turned out.

V, not sure of my % of making the bank - maybe 1 out of 3 tries, at a guess...

v, The object balls pocket speed, and the cueball across the table to the long rail were a pretty natural match...

I was playing a guy that plays around me/Preacher Ronn/John Henderson's speed for $40 a game...I shot the bank - almost made it, didn't, but left it in the front jaws of my pocket - got the cueball almost all the way over, about 1" off the rail...my opponent took awhile to decide, almost shot the cut shot, but finally decided to shoot the 1ball out of my pocket instead.

- Ghost

jtompilot

Verified Member
From
New Orleans
Do you really play JH speed:)

I just found out SVB does miss:eek:

I try to play what I think is the right for me without worrying about who I'm playing.

Frank Almanza

Verified Member
From
Upland, California
If you can get the cue ball to that spot then it's the a shot well taking. Positioning the object ball near your pocket will eliminate any attempt, even from a sharp shooter, to shoot at a low percentage shot like that cut shot.

Most don't work hard to get to game ball just to give the game away on a shot like that.

jtompilot

Verified Member
From
New Orleans
Are you sure there's a kiss. Approx 1/4 ball hit with a little inside english I made the 4 ball 2 of 6 tries and had a nice bank on the 1 after.

And by the way, if the Q isnt froze everyone I know is shooting the 4 from there. That has to be atleast an 80% makeable shot.

Last edited:

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
jtompilot said:
Are you sure there's a kiss. Approx 1/4 ball hit with a little inside english I made the 4 ball 2 of 6 tries and had a nice bank on the 1 after.

And by the way, if the Q isnt froze everyone I know is shooting the 4 from there. That has to be atleast an 80% makeable shot.

Maybe you mean 3/4 of a ball hit ? :confused:
Rod.

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
From
Ghosttown
jtompilot said:

No offense Jim, but responses like the first paragraph in your post just make me shake my head...the reason I composed/posted this thread was to discuss the risk-reward quotient in banking the 1ball or not - not to talk about a different, non-existent shot...

As I said, when I had this shot in the game, it was 1/2 off the rail, there was a kiss on the 4 - it couldn't be made - period....I don't know how differently then this you set it up when you shot it, but when I see you next I'll set it up for you to shoot, and we can bet $100 per shot - and I''ll give you 3-1 on the money - how's that sound?...:)...:cool:

- Ghost

PS, I guess I don't know when there's a kiss :rolleyes: I've only been playing banks for 44 years now, including playing with Bugs and Freddy since I was 19 yrs.old.

Last edited:

jtompilot

Verified Member
From
New Orleans
One Pocket Ghost said:
No offense Jim, but responses like the first paragraph in your post just make me shake my head...the reason I composed/posted this thread was to discuss the risk-reward quotient in banking the 1ball or not - not to talk about a different, non-existent shot...

As I said, when I had this shot in the game, it was 1/2 off the rail, there was a kiss on the 4 - it couldn't be made - period....I don't know how differently then this you set it up when you shot it, but when I see you next I'll set it up for you to shoot, and we can bet $100 per shot - and I''ll give you 3-1 on the money - how's that sound?...:)...:cool:

- Ghost

PS, I guess I don't know when there's a kiss :rolleyes: I've only been playing banks for 44 years now, including playing with Bugs and Freddy since I was 19 yrs.old.

You asked us to evaluate your shot. I prefer to move the 4, not to shoot the 1 and sell out the cut shot.

I dont care if you been playing 100 years. It looks like a 1/4 ball hit avoids the kiss. Even if I have over cut the 4 and just leave it close to my hole.

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
One Pocket Ghost said:

- Ghost

Ghosty,

Sometimes I seriously wonder why we take the time and make the effort to post any layouts at all.

Dennis

beatle

Verified Member
it looks like a moot point. as if you are against a weaker player you probably dont increase your chance of winning much as you can out move him up table.

against a better player you may not increase your chances much over 25 % shooting the bank. but likely would tend to do the shot.

SJDinPHX

Suspended
Cowboy Dennis said:
Ghosty,

Sometimes I seriously wonder why we take the time and make the effort to post any layouts at all.

Dennis

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm...me too !.:D :D :D

PS..I would also shoot the 4 in that spot, maybe...I'd have to see it on a real table to judge it though.. :eek:

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
From
Ghosttown
Cowboy Dennis said:
Ghosty,

Dennis

Yeah Dennis, you got that right - I think it's only for Larry, that I keep making them, lol.

- Ghosty

jtompilot said:
It looks like a 1/4 ball hit avoids the kiss.

Yeah you're right, "a 1/4 ball hit avoids the kiss" - If you want to bank it one diamond above your pocket, that is :rolleyes: that's as low as you can get it to go without kissing.

PS, You didn't answer whether you want that 3-1 for $100 a shot, since you know the secret way to get out of the kiss and make it in your pocket from that layout.

jtompilot

Verified Member
From
New Orleans
One Pocket Ghost said:
Yeah Dennis, you got that right - I think it's only for Larry, that I keep making them, lol.

- Ghosty

Yeah you're right, "a 1/4 ball hit avoids the kiss" - If you want to bank it one diamond above your pocket, that is :rolleyes: that's as low as you can get it to go without kissing.

PS, You didn't answer whether you want that 3-1 for $100 a shot, since you know the secret way to get out of the kiss and make it in your pocket from that layout.

If the 4 ball is at 2 1/2 diamond and not froze, the Q ball 1 diamond away from the side rail, you have a bet. I've been making it 33% of the time and very close another 33%.

But the real point is why leave the 4 there? You need 2 balls, why let the other guy shoot a reasonable shot to win.

jtompilot

Verified Member
From
New Orleans
Ghost, the better bet would be to set up your 1 and 4, you shoot the 1. After you miss I shoot the 4. We post $500, race to 10.

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
One Pocket Ghost said:
Yeah Dennis, you got that right - I think it's only for Larry, that I keep making them:)

- Ghosty
ghost i had to edit your post alittle.:eek:
i appreciate your efforts to help my game:D :eek: