another one .what to do??

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
Cowboy Dennis said:
Billy,

If you noticed that, then I'm sure you noticed that I said I could also push back out behind the 10:) . I've spotted my 9 ball & we're both on one foul now and going backwards.
[CUETABLE]http://CueTable.com/P/?@3AXkv4BALW4CUoM4DIcW3EVgh4FRFK3GUwL4HGPp4IALn4JLHW4KMwJ4LDWH4MBSY3NScL3OKIK2PbGg4QdOx2kbGg4kbRc4kVMl4kSbX@[/CUETABLE]
Dennis, the intentional foul was one of my options, it wasn't my preferred shot, but never the less a good option. You said "why would anyone take an intentional foul in this position" You take an intentional foul when you feel that your opponent may make a mistake and give you a chance to win the game. That was proven imo when you chose your first shot, shooting the 15 ball:eek: With that choice you had to execute perfectly, and your upside was very minimal, if any. Your second choice was taking an intentional back, which was a good option, but some players would of tried to do something special from that position and may have failed. That's my point, that's only one of the reasons good players take intentionals.

Billy I.

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
wincardona said:
Dennis, the intentional foul was one of my options, it wasn't my preferred shot, but never the less a good option. You said "why would anyone take an intentional foul in this position" You take an intentional foul when you feel that your opponent may make a mistake and give you a chance to win the game. That was proven imo when you chose your first shot, shooting the 15 ball:eek: With that choice you had to execute perfectly, and your upside was very minimal, if any. Your second choice was taking an intentional back, which was a good option, but some players would of tried to do something special from that position and may have failed. That's my point, that's only one of the reasons good players take intentionals.

Billy I.

This position is a good position to establish the importance and value of the intentional scratch. Whenever you have a strong position and can't figure out how to preserve it, always look for the intentional scratch. In doing this you put the ball in your opponents court, usually without a good option for him. Now it's up to him to make the right choice, and there are times when he won't.:cool: I guess it's sorta like they say when your playing chess "if you don't know what to do,move a pawn":D

Billy I.

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
Cowboy Dennis said:
I know this shot ain't no hanger but it's not that tough either, even frozen to the rail. If needed, I can always push-out behind the 10 ball and put the rock near the 11. Then the score is 2-3 and we're both on one foul.

[CUETABLE]http://CueTable.com/P/?@3AXkv4BALW4CUoM4DIcW3EVgh4FRFK3GUwL4HGPp3IPqL4JLHW4KMwJ4LDWH4MBSY3NScL3OKIK2PbGg4QdOx3jKIK4jLxm4jbqC2jbIh2jQnj2jLIG2kbGg3kMEA3kTQl3kbIe1kMWk1kYML@[/CUETABLE]
Dennis, if this shot is hit poorly not only do you have a chance to sell out the 15 ball, but you also have to defend against giving up shots on the 10 ball and the 5-1 ball combo bank into the balls. You no longer have the 15 ball on your side to put pressure on your opponent, and to cut down on his options. Or there's always the chance that I can put you back where you were before,(legally) without the 15 ball to defend against.

Billy I.

Last edited:

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
wincardona said:
That was proven imo when you chose your first shot, shooting the 15 ball:eek:
Billy I.
Bill,

The 15 ball shot was just the first shot that I diagrammed, it doesn't mean that's what I like. If you go back and read post #68 you'll see that I also wrote that I can push-out behind the 10 ball if needed. I saw the possible combo-bank on the 1/5 balls(no gimmee) and the other pitfalls of the shot, as you did. What I would shoot would depend on who I'm playing and their speed.

You do make a good point about testing the other player though to see how he'll respond, I just don't know if it's worth a ball to find out in this layout. It's situational I suppose.

Dennis

[CUETABLE]http://CueTable.com/P/?@3AXkv4BALW4CUoM4DIcW3EVgh4FRFK3GUwL4HGPp4IALn4JLHW4KMwJ4LDWH4MBSY3NScL3OKIK2PbGg4QdOx2kbGg4kbRc4kVMl4kSbX@[/CUETABLE]

Dudley

Verified Member
From
San Jose, CA
I know I'm a little late to the party but this is what I would probably do in this spot....

Dud

[CUETABLE]http://CueTable.com/P/?@3AXkv4BIgI4CUoM4DIcW3EVgh4FRFK3GUwL4HGPp3IPqL4JLHW4KMwJ4LDWH4MBSY3NScL3OKIK4POQF4QdOx4eLHW4eTAk4eYOOzc4kOQF4kJTK3kEWk3kbIS3kWwrzc4uAAQ@3ARve3BMwL3CEoL3DFAp3EOuE3FHaL3GUwL3HFyh3IPqL4JCHt3KKLL3LGhA3MAdJ3NScL3OaaM4PPnO4QdOx@[/CUETABLE]