Duck I Am

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
lll said:
dennis , there is alot to say to be able to win when you are not playing your
best.champions find a way to win (smiley face could not add it in the edit)

Larry,

The last shot in that set with John was a spot-shot with the cueball uptable in the jaws or very near the jaws of the corner pocket on his side of the table. I almost drew the cueball into his pocket when I shot the ball, that's how bad I hit it, but I did make it:) .

Dennis

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
Cowboy Dennis said:
Larry,

The last shot in that set with John was a spot-shot with the cueball uptable in the jaws or very near the jaws of the corner pocket on his side of the table. I almost drew the cueball into his pocket when I shot the ball, that's how bad I hit it, but I did make it:) .

Dennis
we all know never DUCK when a spot shot is there to be made:eek:

SJDinPHX

Suspended
lll said:
we all know never DUCK when a spot shot is there to be made:eek:

Larry,

I must tell you a story about my favorite pool character. Woppy (AKA Walter Getty) was one of the funniest guys I ever met. (Rodney knew him well too)

He was pure scuff, but he could be funnier than any stand up comedian when he got wound up. On our frequent road jaunts, our MO was to send Woppy in as advance man. I would come in an hour or so later...By that time, Woppy would have even the biggest "nit' in town, foaming at the mouth to bet big $$$. He would just say "Waall, I cain't play rat now, cause I hurt my arm loadin' watermelon, but I'll bet a few bucks on my lil' bro here"..Sounds corny I know, but he could get people so reved up... it worked more often than not. He never worried about money either...he could make a stakehorse out of a non-gambling stranger, in a strange town no less.

Woppy was a top notch Bumper Pool player (and hustler) at one time. But as bumper pool was dying out, he tried to become a pool player. He won a lot of close match-ups, with his comical antics...It was almost like a Ronnie Allen shark, but I never saw anyone get mad at him.

In the old days of two shot fouls, if a guy scratched on the 9 ball, you had ball in hand in the kitchen. (a spot shot) Woppy hated spot shots so much, that he would "push out" to a point, a little up table and a little toward the middle (making it a little thinner, and a little longer shot) His strategy didn't always work, but it would set off howls of laughter from the rail birds...Did you ever witness that move from him Rod ?

Woppy gave up pool hustling some years back, and began hustling for the Lord. He got religion, and now has his own congregation. I would bet he has become a top notch preacher. I'll never forget the fun times we had together. He was one of a kind.

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
good story dick.
i bet there are alot of things you could relate if you cared to.
i know most of us would want to hear about them.
then we could rag on you for bragging:D (jk)
p.s. freddy this was a good natured rib at dick and in no way was meant to offend you or insinuate anything.:)
p.p.s. nice pic of you and cornbread red for your avatar.(the lobster was very creative tho)

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
Favorite

Favorite

lll said:
good story dick.
i bet there are alot of things you could relate if you cared to.
i know most of us would want to hear about them.
then we could rag on you for bragging:D (jk)
p.s. freddy this was a good natured rib at dick and in no way was meant to offend you or insinuate anything.:)
p.p.s. nice pic of you and cornbread red for your avatar.(the lobster was very creative tho)

That is probably my favorite pool pic. Back when I was slim and good lookin'.

Beard

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
SJDinPHX said:
Larry,

I must tell you a story about my favorite pool character. Woppy (AKA Walter Getty) was one of the funniest guys I ever met. (Rodney knew him well too)

Woppy was a top notch Bumper Pool player (and hustler) at one time. But as bumper pool was dying out, he tried to become a pool player. He won a lot of close match-ups, with his comical antics...It was almost like a Ronnie Allen shark, but I never saw anyone get mad at him.

In the old days of two shot fouls, if a guy scratched on the 9 ball, you had ball in hand in the kitchen. (a spot shot) Woppy hated spot shots so much, that he would "push out" to a point, a little up table and a little toward the middle (making it a little thinner, and a little longer shot) His strategy didn't always work, but it would set off howls of laughter from the rail birds...Did you ever witness that move from him Rod ?

Yes I saw him do it, got him a lot of games. He even won some of them.
I also remember his wife Betty, she was a bit of a character also. I played him in Dallas once with TY staking him, that's how good he was at recruiting stake horses. I might've staked him myself, everyone liked him.
Rod.

SJDinPHX

Suspended
androd said:
Yes I saw him do it, got him a lot of games. He even won some of them.
I also remember his wife Betty, she was a bit of a character also. I played him in Dallas once with TY staking him, that's how good he was at recruiting stake horses. I might've staked him myself, everyone liked him.
Rod.

Yes, Betty was a character too..Her, and their little toddler daughter would often accompany us on the road. At that time, she rarely let Woppy out of her sight. (He did like the ladies, and they liked him)

I guess, in later years Woppy got strung out pretty good, on drugs or something. I know he and Betty split, and the light of his life, his daughter, (Jill ?) was killed in a car accident in her early 20's...Charlie Brown recently had him call me, and he told me that tragic event, was when he became a born again Christian, and turned to preaching the gospel...He also managed to convert Ray Humphrey's too. that seems nearly impossible, but if anybody could do it, the Whopper could.

Last edited: