More than one shot?

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
I'm pocket A, I need one ball, Mark needs two. It's my shot, I think there's only one shot here. I Attempted it and failed. Your thoughts ? I rarely see a shot with only one answer, maybe someone else sees one I missed.
Rod.
PS, I lost the game.

[CUETABLE]http://CueTable.com/P/?@3AWTP4BbtL3CTBP3DQHP3ENNQ4FVmL4GSsK4HQPL1IYaM3JGcO4KNNL4LDJO3MKLP4NAPN3ODJN4PbMn3QcQp@[/CUETABLE]

blackeee

Verified Member
From
Jackson, Tn
androd said:
I'm pocket A, I need one ball, Mark needs two. It's my shot, I think there's only one shot here. I Attempted it and failed. Your thoughts ? I rarely see a shot with only one answer, maybe someone else sees one I missed.
Rod.
PS, I lost the game.

[CUETABLE]http://CueTable.com/P/?@3AWTP4BbtL3CTBP3DQHP3ENNQ4FVmL4GSsK4HQPL1IYaM3JGcO4KNNL4LDJO3MKLP4NAPN3ODJN4PbMn3QcQp@[/CUETABLE]

Only shot I see is cuttin the 2 in the side and coming 2 rails back close to his hole trying to keep him off a 3 railer on the 9.

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
From
Ghosttown
androd said:
Rod.
PS, I lost the game.

Rod.....Do you mean to tell me that you passed up this hanger?...;) >>>

- Ghost

[CUETABLE]http://CueTable.com/P/?@3AWTP4BbtL3CTBP3DQHP3ENNQ4FVmL4GSsK4HQPL1IYaM3JGcO4KNNL4LDJO3MKLP4NAPN3ODJN4PbMn3QcQp1dYaM3dcQq4kbMn4kafj2kcAC2kWKo1kcTq1kaXU@[/CUETABLE]

CaliRed

Verified Member
From
Heart of the Midwest
One Pocket Ghost said:

- Ghost

If I went for that hanger, this would happen.... just because that's the way I roll

[cuetable]http://CueTable.com/P/?@3AWTP4BblS3CTBP3DQHP3ENNQ4FVmL4GSsK4HQPL1IYaM3JGcO4KNNL4LDJO3MKLP4NAPN3ODJN4PbMn3QcQp4VblS4VagF1dYaM3dbGm4dbrn4kbMn2kbaw2kVdl1kbeh1kaXW1kblC4kdQD@[/cuetable]

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
If that 2-ball is hooked on the side pocket, I wouldn't touch it. As I look at this, right now neither the 2 or the 9 go in your opponent's pocket, so I don't see the need to move them, and it looks too dangerous to try a safety off of them. Being the stronger player, I would think you just want to avoid a sell out. Probably the best thing is just to take a scratch by banking the cue ball up by the far corner pocket and let him shoot -- he could make a mistake from there. You now both need two, but you are the stronger player...

You could also try to kick lightly behind the 9-ball, but you risk leaving a bank on the ball that spots if you don't hit anything, or a straight in shot on the 9-ball if you bump it out in the slightest. That's why I would take a scratch.

Edit: if the 9-ball does go by the 2-ball, then that would be different -- I'd take the scratch to the other end of the table (by your opponent's pocket) instead.

[CUETABLE]http://CueTable.com/P/?@3AWTP4BbtL3CTBP3DQHP3ENNQ4FVmL4GSsK4HQPL1IYaM3JGcO4KNNL4LDJO3MKLP4NAPN3ODJN4PbMn3QcQp4kbMn2kbHC1kKrk1kasv@[/CUETABLE]

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
Or this, if the 9-ball does fit by the 2-ball...

[CUETABLE]http://CueTable.com/P/?@3AWTP4BbtL3CTBP3DQHP3ENNQ4FVmL4GSsK4HQPL1IYaM3JGcO4KNNL4LDJO3MKLP4NAPN3ODJN4PbMn3QcQp4kbMn3kbHk4kPhl4kSKf@[/CUETABLE]

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
androd said:
Rod.
PS, I lost the game.

i was weiing when steve posted
[CUETABLE]http://CueTable.com/P/?@3AWTP4BbtL3CTBP3DQHP3ENNQ4FVmL4GSsK4HQPL1IYaM3JGcO4KNNL4LDJO3MKLP4NAPN3ODJN4PbMn3QcQp4kbMn4kbUa3kbOp4kMnh@[/CUETABLE]

MARK..HOU TX

Verified Member
Steve, he tried Blacklee's 3 rail..but came off the 2 with a little to much juice and scratched in upper right corner pocket

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
my shot was making the 2 . steve i did not think about takink a scratch but thats also a good idea. actually ghosts shot leaves the 2 out of play for mike so wherever the 9 ends up mike has to try to make both to get the 2 on the spot and play shape for the spot shot.
making the 2 makes it tough to not leave some kind of shot on one of the balls i guess you have to pick your poison know how the table plays and which shot do you want to leave.
rod this is a mind bender tough situation for me

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
MARK..HOU TX said:
Steve, he tried Blacklee's 3 rail..but came off the 2 with a little to much juice and scratched in upper right corner pocket
looks like im a step behind today

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
The aim of the game

The aim of the game

Certain principles come into play here. Number one is he needs 2 balls to win and you cant allow him to have a chance to get 2, no matter what! Number two, there is a ball hanging in the side and if you dont make it and you dont scratch, he cannot possibly get out on the next shot. Since it seems that you cannot shoot off of the ball in the side without making it or putting it into play then you are forced to shoot at the other ball. The only shot that seems reasonable is the Ghost's 3 rail kick. I refuse to put a ball into play that my oppo can win with on one shot.

There is a possibility that the 9 ball will go two rails and back to your oppo's pocket, but as long as the ball remains hanging in the side you are still alive. It is also possible that the cue ball will trickle behind the 9 and pocket the hanging ball. That aint so wonderful either, the shot is risky but you must take your turn, and the kick may be all you have. The kick is laying very good and the upside is, you might even make it and win.

What is important is to understand the eternal principle of trying never to do anything that will allow your oppo to win the game on one shot. That is on page on of the Onepocket bible.

Beard

Even if you take a scratch and DON'T leave a shot, there are two out of three balls in play and he can now win the game in one shot. With the ball hanging in the side, and just one other ball on the table, he always needs two shots or two mistakes to get out. This situation comes up regularly and seldom with the drastic nature of having to shoot at the 9 ball.

Last edited:

mr3cushion

Verified Member
From
Cocoa Beach, FL
One Pocket Ghost said:

- Ghost

[CUETABLE]http://CueTable.com/P/?@3AWTP4BbtL3CTBP3DQHP3ENNQ4FVmL4GSsK4HQPL1IYaM3JGcO4KNNL4LDJO3MKLP4NAPN3ODJN4PbMn3QcQp1dYaM3dcQq4kbMn4kafj2kcAC2kWKo1kcTq1kaXU@[/CUETABLE]

Ghost; I can tell you right now, it's even money if you can even hit the behind the ball there's a scratch, the reason. The angle of approach is difficult to say the least, so you have to juice up the cue ball,(a little curve), by doing this the cue ball will pick up a little speed after contacting the ball and produce spin and slide in the side pocket off the 2. It would hard to get behind the ball on billiard table, not alone a pool table.

Bill Smith "M3Cushion"

vapros

Verified Member
From
baton rouge, la
In the absence of any shot that you like, looks to me that the 2 ball on the spot is not that bad if you can leave the CB near your pocket. You could do it with a 3 rail track a little shorter that the one Mr3c just laid out (don't hit the 9 ball) or maybe you could draw the CB over there. You can hit almost all of the 2. I would rather do that than take a scratch.

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
fred bentivegna said:
Certain principles come into play here. Number one is he needs 2 balls to win and you cant allow him to have a chance to get 2, no matter what! Number two, there is a ball hanging in the side and if you dont make it and you dont scratch, he cannot possibly get out on the next shot. Since it seems that you cannot shoot off of the ball in the side without making it or putting it into play then you are forced to shoot at the other ball. The only shot that seems reasonable is the Ghost's 3 rail kick. I refuse to put a ball into play that my oppo can win with on one shot.

There is a possibility that the 9 ball will go two rails and back to your oppo's pocket, but as long as the ball remains hanging in the side you are still alive. It is also possible that the cue ball will trickle behind the 9 and pocket the hanging ball. That aint so wonderful either, the shot is risky but you must take your turn, and the kick may be all you have. The kick is laying very good and the upside is, you might even make it and win.

What is important is to understand the eternal principle of trying never to do anything that will allow your oppo to win the game on one shot. That is on page on of the Onepocket bible.

Beard

Even if you take a scratch and DON'T leave a shot, there are two out of three balls in play and he can now win the game in one shot. With the ball hanging in the side, and just one other ball on the table, he always needs two shots or two mistakes to get out. This situation comes up regularly and seldom with the drastic nature of having to shoot at the 9 ball.
all wise words beard:)

sappo

Verified Member
From
Tucson AZ
Simple and Safe

Simple and Safe

i cant tell from the picture but could you hit the 2 ball thickly pocketing it and roll the cue ball up against the 9 ball and/or th3 side rail. if this can be accomplished your opponent would have a tough time cueing. Sappo

stljohnny

Verified Member
From
St. Louis, MO
I think someone mentioned this already, but I'd be shooting this: (path estimated)

[cuetable]http://CueTable.com/P/?@3AWTP4BbtL3CTBP3DQHP3ENNQ4FVmL4GSsK4HQPL1IYaM3JGcO4KNNL4LDJO3MKLP4NAPN3ODJN4PbMn3QcQp4VbtL1VdxE4kbMn4kafY2kaya2kFtj1kbgV3kbBB3kVLt2uBOO@[/cuetable]

Perhaps not the smartest shot, but I feel more comfortable doing that then kicking behind the 9. It puts a ball in play for my opponent, true - but also for me as well. and getting to the 9 won't necessarily be an easy piece of cake for the opponent.

At least, that's my thinking. *shrug*

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
You are right Bill

You are right Bill

mr3cushion said:
Ghost; I can tell you right now, it's even money if you can even hit the behind the ball there's a scratch, the reason. The angle of approach is difficult to say the least, so you have to juice up the cue ball,(a little curve), by doing this the cue ball will pick up a little speed after contacting the ball and produce spin and slide in the side pocket off the 2. It would hard to get behind the ball on billiard table, not alone a pool table.

Bill Smith "M3Cushion"

These freaking WEI tables just keep confusing me. After taking that shot to a REAL pool table, the three rail kick is a stone stiff, just like Billy Smith said. Once you get on a real table it becomes obvious that the shot does not lie well and would be extremely difficult to execute. A masse is needed to come close.

A sensible shot would be to kick one rail to the 9, softly. You can either use a few tips of rt eng and hit the rail on the left side of the side pocket, or use 2 tips of reverse, left eng, and hit beyond the side pocket on the right side and bank the cue ball at the 9. Softly is the key. Even if you dont hit the ball and scratch, one ball comes up and you could bank it, but you would still not have a shot at the 9 with the side pocket ball blocking the pocket. If you execute the kick and contact the 9 ball softly, your oppo should not have any sort of reasonable shot.

Softly kicking at the 9 would keep you within the perameters of the rule I outlined previously, whereby you dont provide the two balls your oppo needs to win the game on his next shot.

Beard

Good catch, Billy

Last edited:

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
From
Ghosttown
fred bentivegna said:
These freaking WEI tables just keep confusing me. After taking that shot to a REAL pool table, the three rail kick is a stone stiff, just like Billy Smith said. Once you get on a real table it becomes obvious that the shot does not lie well and would be extremely difficult to execute. A masse is needed to come close.

Beard

Good catch, Billy

Freddy, I'm sure glad you made this second post....otherwise I was going to uncomfortably have to respond to your first post - and disagree with you, agreeing with me, on a 'joke shot'...:eek:...

I thought guys would get the joke...There was a clue after all > I put the winking smiley face at the end of my post - I was only kidding about shooting the 3-rail kick...:rolleyes:...

And Billy, you of all people should have for sure known I was just kidding with Rod....you know my billiard playing speed, and so you know that I would know that the angle is not there to get long enough for that shot...:rolleyes:

- Ghost

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
stljohnny said:
I think someone mentioned this already, but I'd be shooting this: (path estimated)

[cuetable]http://CueTable.com/P/?@3AWTP4BbtL3CTBP3DQHP3ENNQ4FVmL4GSsK4HQPL1IYaM3JGcO4KNNL4LDJO3MKLP4NAPN3ODJN4PbMn3QcQp4VbtL1VdxE4kbMn4kafY2kaya2kFtj1kbgV3kbBB3kVLt2uBOO@[/cuetable]

Perhaps not the smartest shot, but I feel more comfortable doing that then kicking behind the 9. It puts a ball in play for my opponent, true - but also for me as well. and getting to the 9 won't necessarily be an easy piece of cake for the opponent.

At least, that's my thinking. *shrug*

Johnny, That's a good suggestion. Wish I'd shot it that way. I was trying to get the CB buy his pocket as Blackeee said, but scratched. I'm a fast player but thought a while before making the 2 ball and putting his winner in play. I'm always reluctant to take a foul ( character flaw I guess ) ;)
Rod.

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
lll said:
i was weiing when steve posted
[CUETABLE]http://CueTable.com/P/?@3AWTP4BbtL3CTBP3DQHP3ENNQ4FVmL4GSsK4HQPL1IYaM3JGcO4KNNL4LDJO3MKLP4NAPN3ODJN4PbMn3QcQp4kbMn4kbUa3kbOp4kMnh@[/CUETABLE]
rod do you think you can get the q ball to pocket B with the 4 railer.
whats your opinion of my shot above. similar to steves but making the 2