Orcullo wins U S Open

glbglb

Verified Member
Tyler, do you think they would have missed those shots playing someone else? Pool is such a mental game and even those two guys feel pressure. EVERY athlete who has ever played a sport feels or felt pressure. The difference is guys like Tiger Woods, Michael Jordan, Efren Reyes etc.. handle and deal or dealt with that pressure better than other players. Shane and Dennis have a rivalry and are 2 of the best on the planet so believe me that creeps into both of their minds when they are playing each other. The bottom line is yes they are human and they miss,... its just that they are at their most human when they play each other.. coincidence? I dont think so

What method do you use to deal with pressure? Any key points?

onepockethacker

Verified Member

You try to clear your mind of any negative thoughts before you pull the trigger. Easier said then done... However if you are playing someone that cant play at all like Cowboy Denise there is no pressure. You just relax, stall alot and take his $ 30 a game until his $ 150 runs out.

SJDinPHX

Suspended
There are many different kinds of pressure...Dealing with money pressure, as when gambling at cards or dice, is a whole lot different than gambling at a skill game like pool !.. It doesn't take long to recognize the difference, and find out if you can control your nerves/emotions under pressure ! :cool:

Very little separate the top player's 'skill-wise'.. But, as in ALL endeavors, there are 'John Wayne's' who can fade the heat, and there are 'Don Knott's, who will fold (ie; dog it.) most of the time !...(Hint... There are way more Don Knotts, then there are John Waynes)..The sooner you find out which one you are, the more you will enjoy the challenge of playing a skill game as difficult, and demanding as pool ! ;)

PS..At least that's what Sherriff Andy tells me, every time he gives me my bullet ! :p

Last edited:

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.

If you think of anything except the game and your shot, you maybe in trouble.
Everyone is nervous when they start, but after a few shots it should be all about the game. Nothing else.
Rod.

baby huey

Verified Member
Dennis and Shane in Reno One Pocket Finals

Dennis and Shane in Reno One Pocket Finals

I was able to watch the entire match live and Shane was going for the home run a lot more than normal. He shot several shots that were very low percentage even for his dynamic game. After he lost I had the opportunity to talk with him about the match. He told me he wanted to just shoot and wasn't serious about the match. I said, "what are you talking about?" He said he just didn't feel much like grinding that night and tried to end the games too fast. He also told me Dennis will play him for the cash and this would pump him up. Sounds like an unusual spread to me……..

Island Drive

Verified Member
From
florence, colorado
I was able to watch the entire match live and Shane was going for the home run a lot more than normal. He shot several shots that were very low percentage even for his dynamic game. After he lost I had the opportunity to talk with him about the match. He told me he wanted to just shoot and wasn't serious about the match. I said, "what are you talking about?" He said he just didn't feel much like grinding that night and tried to end the games too fast. He also told me Dennis will play him for the cash and this would pump him up. Sounds like an unusual spread to me……..

Pros do get bored and need stimulation in different ways at different times. This statement has some truth to it. Every loss has a reciprocating side from a pros point of view. Hawaiian Brian used to tell me back in the seventies when he traveled ''all over'' the states how much he won from his losses. Once he played better he'd fly out again he'd call first and set the game and dbl the bet, he managed his business in a Very tactful manner. He said when his game was right, the flight was Easy on the body as compared to a long drive and kept his game Fresh. Plus he was a ''true'' gentleman while picking your pocket.