Musings on the 2014 DCC

kollegedave

Verified Member
From
St. Louis, MO
Musings on the 2014 DCC

Efren the Great
One of the most memorable things I witnessed was other people, including great players, taking time out to watch Efren. As good as Efren still is, time will, at some point, catch up to him. It gets us all. If you have not seen Efren play, do it. He was nothing short of a miracle on the 10 foot table against Rodney Morris.

While I was there, I could always tell where Efren ways playing, because that is where one of the biggest crowds was located. Within the crowd, I was struck by how many “champion” players would take time out to watch the “Magician”.

Efren is a rare and special talent. I count myself as lucky to have seen him play.

Overdose of Pool?
I found myself fighting a level of over stimulation. Given the fantastic overhead seating that allows someone to sweat (with a great view) multiple matches, I would unconsciously move from one match to another, and an hour later, I would feel like I couldn’t remember a thing about any of them. I must be more disciplined in my “sweating” next time I go. If you go, you should be prepared for this.

I was luck to have experienced one DCC at the Executive West. I prefer it there, but this location does have its virtues (great steakhouse…you may have seen lfigueroa’s recounting the tale of my giant rare steak). In any case, it seemed to me that there was less action in this at the Horseshoe when compared to “DCC’s of old”. However, I did leave on Wednesday, and I could not stay up as late as I used to, so I may have missed some cool stuff.

Meeting the Greats
I was lucky to meet Greg Sullivan and Billy Incardona. Mr. Sullivan was a perfect gentleman, and I suspect there are few (if any) people alive that are doing more for pool than him.

With regard to Mr. Incardona, I was sincerely thrilled to meet him. I would like to think of myself as a one pocket player that could have had a promising career if it weren’t for things like college, law school, and marriage—the ruin of many a pool player. Billy Incardona and Grady Matthews as commentators to Accu-Stats are part of the soundtrack to my formative years in life and in pool, and to meet Mr. Incardona, and have him be super kind was an honor. However, Billy Incardona did tell me that he wasn’t sure about one pocket players without gray hair (I don’t have gray hair). Mr. Incardona has a ton of gray hair, so I think if he were to get in the tournament next year he might be a favorite to win given the volume of his gray hair!

I was able to meet a number of AZers, and I appreciate the chance to meet them and catch up with old friends like SJM.

Holy Super Stalev!:eek:
Tuesday night Evgeny Stalev held court on a table upstairs. He set up a rack like 14.1 but instead of shooting the cue ball into the object ball he shot the loose object ball into the cue ball and caromed it into the hole, sending the cue ball into the stack to bust it up. He proceeded to 13 caroms in a row. I have never seen anything like it. It was absolutely amazing.

Almost as amazing as Stalev, on one table over, Mike Dechaine was giving some European the seven ball in a race to 15. It appeared to me that Dechaine won easily, but whether it was “easily” or not, he did win, giving a very strong player the 7…yikes!

I can’t wait for next year...when Mr. Incardona gets in the One Pocket event.

kollegedave

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
That is Evgeny Stalev from Russia. Look up Russian Pyramid pool. Same thing you saw with the caroms, but smaller pockets.

And this is him -- using what looks like the same cue he used 5-6 years ago when he came to the DCC when it was back at the Exec West -- or same style anyway

and from 2007:

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
He came through Mobile a few years back, and beat everyone at everything. I don't think he missed 5 balls in 5 days.:eek: He had a big long soft rubber grip on his cue. Can't tell from the current pic if he still uses one.

He was also an animal in the vodka drinking contest. Shall we say everyone else tied for second place...;)

Doc

Mkbtank

Verified Member
From
Philly Pa
Musings on the 2014 DCC

Not sure if this is him but Bernie P played a guy who in the 1p tournament who had a cue like that. Beautiful cue with the pattern going right into the shaft wood. (Bernie notched the win btw)

Shortstop

Verified Member
From
Chisqztown
I also saw him a few years back,at the Executive West...He was accompanied by an older gentleman...This year,he was with a tall,thin model-type woman...Good for him.

Mkbtank

Verified Member
From
Philly Pa
Musings on the 2014 DCC

I also saw him a few years back,at the Executive West...He was accompanied by an older gentleman...This year,he was with a tall,thin model-type woman...Good for him.

Yeah. Then it must have been him who played Bernie. Her, I'm sure of ;)

Alexonepockettrickshots

Verified Member
I like Evgeny Stalevs mind. It is easy to tell how much it processes and at great speed too. Very cool, very methodical and very systematic.
O and just if anyone does not know...Moscow, Russia, is supposed to be ONE OF THE MOST beautiful cities in the world!!!

Last edited:

Alexonepockettrickshots

Verified Member
Tell me I don't know what I am speaking of. Just by looking at Stalev, well, I know :) I actually just added him on facebook and through google translate I am talking to him. I asked him what he thinks is the most important thing for one to excel at pool and he said, "memory is the most important" and I know what he means. I may never get great at pool but who cares because if I were to, i'm doing the right things except I need to gamble more.
YEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

Miller

Verified Member
From
East St. Louis Area
those fukn russians are harder than nails. they come up the same way our grandfathers and great grandfathers had to.

out of college around 95' I lived in ft. wayne, in, for a year or a little less. i had a sneaky meucci with custom turned 12mm shafts with the old good lepros. (like a true sucker, i really thought i was something....) like to play mostly 9ball back then and my running partner was "one eyed ralfs." ralfs rovoskis, a retired army captain, was my pal. we worked together doing construction inspection on soils and concrete. crazy fukr drove six hours to my wedding about a year later after we moved and i haven't heard/spoken to him since*.

anyway, i get the bright idea to take judo classes. at this time, i had just played college rugby for a couple years, did all the shit young men do, etc., and didn't consider myself a sissy at all. two russians that were in that class; vaaja (sp?) and haraby (sp? pronounced like the food joint arby's) kicked the living shit out of me on a weekly basis....

those russians liked to play pool and there was one snooker table in the entire town at a bar i think might have ben called "piere's" or it might have been called something else. those guys could shoot the eyes off of em. must be that russian billiard game they all grow up playing over there....

*if anybody from that area knows ralfs, i'd like to hear of how he is....

Last edited:

tylerdurden

Verified Member
those fukn russians are harder than nails. they come up the same way our grandfathers and great grandfathers had to.

out of college around 95' I lived in ft. wayne, in, for a year or a little less. i had a sneaky meucci with custom turned 12mm shafts with the old good lepros. (like a true sucker, i really thought i was something....) like to play mostly 9ball back then and my running partner was "one eyed ralfs." ralfs rovoskis, a retired army captain, was my pal. we worked together doing construction inspection on soils and concrete. crazy fukr drove six hours to my wedding about a year later after we moved and i haven't heard/spoken to him since*.

anyway, i get the bright idea to take judo classes. at this time, i had just played college rugby for a couple years, did all the shit young men do, etc., and didn't consider myself a sissy at all. two russians that were in that class; vaaja (sp?) and haraby (sp? pronounced like the food joint arby's) kicked the living shit out of me on a weekly basis....

those russians liked to play pool and there was one snooker table in the entire town at a bar i think might have ben called "piere's" or it might have been called something else. those guys could shoot the eyes off of em. must be that russian billiard game they all grow up playing over there....

*if anybody from that area knows ralfs, i'd like to hear of how he is....

I have always liked Russians. There seems to be a lot less bullshit with them. They do seem to be able to handle themselves too, which is kind of a lost art nowadays.

Billy Jackets

Verified Member
I was sweating the Ghost Mike Massey match from across the pit when a friend came up to me and asked who I thought was the greatest player I had ever seen.
I told him to look up at the banners that are pictures of all the winners of the DCC and the years and events .
I told him to walk around the entire pit and look at them all and come back and he would have his answer.
Lots of great players and 1 superstar.