Pool Balls … Display Only … Advice? Thanks!

sunnyone

Verified Member
From
nyc
Dear Gentle Readers,

There was a guy I used to hang with (it didn’t work out, somehow) ... anyway, he and I bought a Soho loft that came with a Gabriels billiards table. (Emperor? No, but some name like that.) The seller didn’t have room for it in his new place.

Thus began my journey into darkness … well, into the world of pool.

Geographically, I’ve since moved on … just a tad west into the Village. A short pilgrimage, in terms of distance. But, emotionally, a pretty big move for me.

The same contractor who did our loft remodel is now (after his post-Sandy rehabs) transforming my little townhouse into something that will be up-to-date and up-to-code, secure enough to satisfy my mom and dad and stylish enough to meet my ever-evolving sense of, well, style.

Toward that end, and with a fond backwards glance to that Soho billiards table, I’ve envisioned a display -- on this specific window-height, (great light!) ivory-white, bookcase -- of 15 pool balls. Arranged, I guess, in a classic 8-ball pattern.

At first I imagined an old-timey wooden rack. Then, I thought a Magic Rack might also be fun … a sort of semi-invisible glue holding everything in place.

So ... to the pool balls. Online, they cost anywhere from a few bucks to a lot of bucks.

Since I intend them to be only a sort of a low-rise sculpture -- never to be actually batted around with cue sticks -- what would your recommendations be for this exhibition set?

I’d appreciate handsome, wouldn’t mind antique (although I’d be ambivalent about ivory), would enjoy colorful, wouldn’t want to spend oceans of cash.

Never paying retail is my life,

Sunny

P. S. This obviously isn’t an original design idea on my part. I recall a certain forum regular here with a Southern California masculine cavern who employed a similar motif. Out of consideration to this gentleman’s checkered past -- and the possibility of future law enforcement scrutiny -- I shan’t name his name. You, sir, are most welcome!

Plus, there was a Helen Hunt film where one of the characters -- the artist, if I remember accurately -- had a comparable array of pool balls in his NYC apartment.

P. P. S. Perhaps we should reconsider the non batting-around aspect of these Sunny pool balls. Now that I think about it, I can see:

> girlfriends

> tequila

> hardwood floors

> a Sneaky Pete I think I have packed away somewhere

> raucous laughter

> hmm.

P. P. P. S. The pool balls in the CSI US Open One-Pocket Championship are intriguing. I particularly like the 6-ball / 14-ball color … how would you describe it? Chartreuse? Green Apple?

I made a bet with myself that a lot of you boys wouldn’t appreciate that particular hue. (Fair warning -- I win approximately 100% of the wagers I make with myself. However … this particular venture-window is wide open should anyone want to fade the odds!) Is ‘fade the odds’ a correct phrase, in re poolrooms?

Anyway, thanks for your pool ball suggestions. Or, at least the ones I like!

SJDinPHX

Suspended
Dear Gentle Readers,

There was a guy I used to hang with (it didn’t work out, somehow) ... anyway, he and I bought a Soho loft that came with a Gabriels billiards table. (Emperor? No, but some name like that.) The seller didn’t have room for it in his new place.

Thus began my journey into darkness … well, into the world of pool.

Geographically, I’ve since moved on … just a tad west into the Village. A short pilgrimage, in terms of distance. But, emotionally, a pretty big move for me.

The same contractor who did our loft remodel is now (after his post-Sandy rehabs) transforming my little townhouse into something that will be up-to-date and up-to-code, secure enough to satisfy my mom and dad and stylish enough to meet my ever-evolving sense of, well, style.

Toward that end, and with a fond backwards glance to that Soho billiards table, I’ve envisioned a display -- on this specific window-height, (great light!) ivory-white, bookcase -- of 15 pool balls. Arranged, I guess, in a classic 8-ball pattern.

At first I imagined an old-timey wooden rack. Then, I thought a Magic Rack might also be fun … a sort of semi-invisible glue holding everything in place.

So ... to the pool balls. Online, they cost anywhere from a few bucks to a lot of bucks.

Since I intend them to be only a sort of a low-rise sculpture -- never to be actually batted around with cue sticks -- what would your recommendations be for this exhibition set?

I’d appreciate handsome, wouldn’t mind antique (although I’d be ambivalent about ivory), would enjoy colorful, wouldn’t want to spend oceans of cash.

Never paying retail is my life,

Sunny

P. S. This obviously isn’t an original design idea on my part. I recall a certain forum regular here with a Southern California masculine cavern who employed a similar motif. Out of consideration to this gentleman’s checkered past -- and the possibility of future law enforcement scrutiny -- I shan’t name his name. You, sir, are most welcome!

Plus, there was a Helen Hunt film where one of the characters -- the artist, if I remember accurately -- had a comparable array of pool balls in his NYC apartment.

P. P. S. Perhaps we should reconsider the non batting-around aspect of these Sunny pool balls. Now that I think about it, I can see:

> girlfriends

> tequila

> hardwood floors

> a Sneaky Pete I think I have packed away somewhere

> raucous laughter

> hmm.

P. P. P. S. The pool balls in the CSI US Open One-Pocket Championship are intriguing. I particularly like the 6-ball / 14-ball color … how would you describe it? Chartreuse? Green Apple?

I made a bet with myself that a lot of you boys wouldn’t appreciate that particular hue. (Fair warning -- I win approximately 100% of the wagers I make with myself. However … this particular venture-window is wide open should anyone want to fade the odds!) Is ‘fade the odds’ a correct phrase, in re poolrooms?

Anyway, thanks for your pool ball suggestions. Or, at least the ones I like!

You are in luck, Sunny !

I have cleverly devised a display for my pool balls, in the form of a clock...The only thing is, if you want to display all 15 balls, you will need to create a 13, 14 and 15 o:clock, on your dial...Good Luck wi' dat !

PS..Oh, and don't mess with glue..Just drill a small hole in the balls, and attach them to the dial, with 2 inch screws...Jes' trynna help..:lol :lol :lol

Frank Almanza

Verified Member
From
Upland, California
You might consider something like this. Pool balls are very heavy to put up on the wall without good support. Mine is a cocktail table with the top turned upside and I added tempered glass for safety. These are over sized balls about three inch diameter.
Cocktail-Table.jpg

vapros

Verified Member
From
baton rouge, la
Sunny, since you asked . . . in the digs you referenced, I don't think there is a place for any billiard balls, except for shining new ones. Aramith, I think, is the best-known manufacturer, and I'm sure there are some variations in the colors available. Maybe there are others out there. Display them in the triangular rack, and go to a dealer to pick out the one you prefer. Being wooden, they will not all look alike.

Then, send the rack away to wherever Efren is, to be autographed. Do whatever it takes. I'm quite sure there is a price in $$, but instead, you might send him a suitable gift. I know he is a chess player - maybe something in that line, and with your own autograph! Be different - differenter.

If you display the rack point first, there will be a second side showing. Maybe a second autograph. My own choice would be the Little Giant, Jose Parica. "The eye of a turkey buzzard, the nerve of a house burglar, and the grin of a Cub Scout".

And if you decide to go for this, by all means contact AccuStats and get a few one-pocket match videos to keep on hand - especially Efren Reyes, from a period ten to twenty years ago. When it's all done, contact me to come and do a final approval on it. Until then, you're in charge.

Last edited: