Cyclop balls in

bstroud

Verified Member
Came yesterday.

Played first session today.
12 to 5 and the break.

The third shot I ran 11 and out.

Balls play great. They take what seems like a natural roll on all cut shots.

It's a pleasure to not need to guess how much the object ball is going to twist every shot.

One ball did hop however. Not a skid. It just jumped when I hit it. I think it was a bad stroke.

I also overcut 2 balls. Guess I was in Aramith mode on those shots.

If anyone has some specific shots they want tested, I will be happy to do so and report.

Bill S.

jrhendy

Verified Member
From
Placerville, CA
Came yesterday.

Played first session today.
12 to 5 and the break.

The third shot I ran 11 and out.

Balls play great. They take what seems like a natural roll on all cut shots.

It's a pleasure to not need to guess how much the object ball is going to twist every shot.

One ball did hop however. Not a skid. It just jumped when I hit it. I think it was a bad stroke.

I also overcut 2 balls. Guess I was in Aramith mode on those shots.

If anyone has some specific shots they want tested, I will be happy to do so and report.

Bill S.

I found myself over cutting quite a few shots on the bar tables in Vegas. I try to use a little inside on cut shots if I can and felt like either the Cyclops cue ball squirted or the balls cut differently.

I am used to using a measles cue ball.

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
Nice reports from Bill and John. I used them in Tunica in the Action Room in practice. I wasn't wild about the colors, but they did seem to play "light".

Anyway, after reading this thread I did some investigation of the Cyclop balls. There is a nice discussion recorded at the recent Vegas event, where representatives from Diamond (who have exclusive rights to U.S. distribution) and Cyclop. Here is the URL: [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2bxBqVyQnSw[/ame]

Evidently the recipe and design of the balls are an American invention, but the balls themselves are manufactured in China. They reportedly are 85% phenolic resin, whereas Aramiths are something close to 58%. This would account for the "light" feel, and less friction. The balls weigh 169.5 grams (plus or minus 0.5 gram), which is almost exactly 6 ounces.

Diamond will be using these balls at all their events, as will Mark Griffith-- both amateur and pro tournaments.

I was surprised to hear that the balls can be ordered in traditional colors as well, although I don't know if they mean traditional as in Centennial, or as in Aramith TV balls...

The balls are easier to clean, are tougher, and will outlast other pool balls.

I'm sold. I may buy a set just to use at the poolroom, or wait until my next pool table purchase.:cool: Now Col. Bille is going to have to buy a set. It'll eat him up until he does...:D

Doc

bstroud

Verified Member
By the way I was using the Red Circle cue ball.

It does not play exactly like the Blue Circle Centennial cue ball but more like the old Red Dot.

Seems to be OK with the Cyclop balls.

I think the skids in Vegas were due to the Measles cue ball which in my opinion is a terrible cue ball.

It is just too soft and rough. Not to mention UGLY.

Bill S.

iusedtoberich

Verified Member
By the way I was using the Red Circle cue ball.

It does not play exactly like the Blue Circle Centennial cue ball but more like the old Red Dot.

Seems to be OK with the Cyclop balls.

I think the skids in Vegas were due to the Measles cue ball which in my opinion is a terrible cue ball.

It is just too soft and rough. Not to mention UGLY.

Bill S.

Why would you use a CB from another set if you are evaluating the Cyclop ball set? Which CB were you using when you ran the 11 and out in your earlier post?

bstroud

Verified Member
I was using the Red Circle when I ran 11.

I had a gambling match and my opponent wanted to use the RC.

The red circle goes thru the rack on a typical 14-1 break much better with the Cyclop balls than the Aramith. Still not as good as the Blue Circle.

What I noticed most was that it was much harder to stick the cue ball to an object ball. Good for the ball runner. Not so good for the safety player.

I am going to try some controlled experiments with the 3 cue balls and see what results I get.

Bill S.

bstroud

Verified Member
Played a little with the Cyclop cue ball.

It draws easier than the RC and does not follow as well.

It takes a wider angle of the balls as well.

Reminds me a lot of the old Red Dot cue ball.

Bill S.

iusedtoberich

Verified Member
Cyclop balls in

Played a little with the Cyclop cue ball.

It draws easier than the RC and does not follow as well.

It takes a wider angle of the balls as well.

Reminds me a lot of the old Red Dot cue ball.

Bill S.

What was your controlled experiment? What was your data? Can you reproduce your results? Can I reproduce your results?

bstroud

Verified Member
I have not had time to run true controlled experiments yet.
I am busy painting my pool room.

The simple tests I did do were setting up the exact same shots and checking the results.

Just marking the balls position and cutting in a series of balls with the different cue ball produced different results.

I true test for skid would be to play 10 or more racks of straight pool with each cue ball and watch for skids. Still subjective but enough to produce some difference.

I also set up and marked some straight pool break shots and observed the result. The Red Circle definitely penetrated the full rack better that the Cyclop ball.

I haven't weighed the Cyclop cue balls but it seems to PLAY lighter.

In the tests I did the Cyclop cue ball definitely did draw more with more apparent spin but that could be attributed to the fact that it is newer.

Bill S.

bstroud

Verified Member
Spent more time with the Cyclop balls today. NO skids.

Really an eye opener for me.

As you all know I quit playing for about 30 years. When I started back 18 or so months ago I started to play with the Aramith balls for the first time in my life.

At first I thought I had lost all ability to play pool again. I could never gain any confidence on any cut shot. It was always hold your breath to see how much the object ball would gear or not. It drove me crazy. I thought I must be getting old.

Along comes Cyclop. These ball do no gear off on cut shots. They head straight for the pocket. After you stop over cutting them and gain a little confidence it is hard to miss a ball.

What a revelation.

Will be doing all my gambling with these balls.

Bill S.

jrhendy

Verified Member
From
Placerville, CA

As you all know I quit playing for about 30 years. When I started back 18 or so months ago I started to play with the Aramith balls for the first time in my life.

At first I thought I had lost all ability to play pool again. I could never gain any confidence on any cut shot. It was always hold your breath to see how much the object ball would gear or not. It drove me crazy. I thought I must be getting old.

Along comes Cyclop. These ball do no gear off on cut shots. They head straight for the pocket. After you stop over cutting them and gain a little confidence it is hard to miss a ball.

What a revelation.

Bill S.

Not if I get by The Ghost and we play. The house balls at Kolby's, Bullshooters or Skip and Jan's will be fine.

No one around here has any Cyclop balls or will be getting any soon for me to play with.

mattb

From
Memphis, IN
I was told Diamond is the exclusive dealer/supplier. I am going to stop at the factory and find out later this week. You can possibly call them.

jtompilot

Verified Member
From
New Orleans

What a revelation.

Bill S.

No gear off on cut shots. Might not want to play one pocket or banks with those balls:D

bstroud

Verified Member
No gear off on cut shots. Might not want to play one pocket or banks with those balls:D

If you hit across the bank with stun on the cue ball you can twist balls in a very predictable manner.

The Cyclop balls just don't twist by accident like the Aramith balls.

Bill S.