*** Remebering Some Good Friends and Old Times Together ***

poolandpokerman

Verified Member
Good friends

Good friends

That first picture had Ronnie Reynolds in it. I played him back in the 60s and 70s in Detroit. I used to see him at the Hall of Fame in Detroit area a few years ago, retired but is still playing a little one pocket. Really nice photos of the past. tom

mr3cushion

Verified Member
From
Cocoa Beach, FL
That first picture had Ronnie Reynolds in it. I played him back in the 60s and 70s in Detroit. I used to see him at the Hall of Fame in Detroit area a few years ago, retired but is still playing a little one pocket. Really nice photos of the past. tom

Yeh Tom, Ronnie was one of the "regulars" that hung around the "Rack" in the action days.

Didn't interact too much with Ronnie, but, we knew each other from side betting on matches.

Glad you enjoyed the video collage of photos, I think it was put together by, Bill Porter.

Bill Smith "Mr3Cushion"

SloMoHolic

Verified Member
*** Remebering Some Good Friends and Old Times Together ***

Thanks for sharing that, Bill! I was just a toddler in 1982. :)

Earl's photos were the most interesting to me. He looks so much different! I bet he was a firecracker even back then.

I'd love to hear some stories about Earl from back in that time period.

-Blake

petie

Verified Member
From
Citrus Springs, FL
Thanks for sharing that, Bill! I was just a toddler in 1982. :)

Earl's photos were the most interesting to me. He looks so much different! I bet he was a firecracker even back then.

I'd love to hear some stories about Earl from back in that time period.

-Blake

A few years after that tournament, I ran into Earl in the green room of a tournament in Illinois west of Chicago. Quail Run or Pheasant Run. I wasn't in the tournament but I was in the vacant green room practicing 9 ball ( the game I played then). When Earl came in to warm up before his match, I unscrewed but he protested and asked me to knock 'em around with him. During our play I told him that I thought players should act more like professional golfers and give each other due respect. He said, "Man, I can't give these guys too much respect. If I do I won't be able to play my game." I didn't appreciate what he was saying at the time but I understand it much better now. He was always playing to the crowd even back then but it was in good fun. It haden't taken the turn to the dark side like it did later.

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
Petie, that's an interesting point. No question Earl plays to the crowd, even if the crowd is no longer interested in the scrambled eggs going on in his head.;)

But playing to the crowd, as you know, was the norm years back. It may have been started by Fats-- dunno. But everyone from Ronnie Allen, Keith McCready, Mike Sigel, to even Buddy Hall, and, currently Alex P. used the tactic. It took the pressure off, and seemed to give them an advantage.

But today's players have shut up, at least in tournaments. It's ironic that in our crushingly PC world, some of the most colorful aspects of pool have gone the way of the pay phone...

Doc

petie

Verified Member
From
Citrus Springs, FL
Petie, that's an interesting point. No question Earl plays to the crowd, even if the crowd is no longer interested in the scrambled eggs going on in his head.;)

But playing to the crowd, as you know, was the norm years back. It may have been started by Fats-- dunno. But everyone from Ronnie Allen, Keith McCready, Mike Sigel, to even Buddy Hall, and, currently Alex P. used the tactic. It took the pressure off, and seemed to give them an advantage.

But today's players have shut up, at least in tournaments. It's ironic that in our crushingly PC world, some of the most colorful aspects of pool have gone the way of the pay phone...

Doc

Right you are, Doc. I think there have always been the quiet "soldier" types as Ronnie Weisman calls them but it is the ones who have that show off personality that we love. Pool more than any other sport, I believe, accepts bravado in it's stars. When you go to a tournament today and sweat matches, you can't help but miss the showmanship that once characterized it. Alex and Earl would clearly be stars of any sport they cared to play. If a smart producer could play off this characteristic, it would make for some fascinating television.

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
One of the streamed 10-ball matches some of you may have seen featured Earl and one of the very young looking Asian players. It was a very tight match (went hill hill) and Earl was up to his antics throughout the match, but the Asian kid stayed completely stoic all the way to the end, when after he (the Asian kid) pocketed the match ball he finally showed a little brief celebratory emotion. I was impressed as his poise (not Earl's -- although Earl was a complete gentleman in congratulating the kid despite having lost -- credit where credit is due).

Cary

Verified Member
From
Bertram, Texas
The guy in the middle resting his chin in his palm looks extremely familar but I can't come up wtih a name. Anxiously awaiting one of you guys with less memory loss than I to jog mine.

petie

Verified Member
From
Citrus Springs, FL
I was thinking the same thing. Anyone have any stories of Paul Campbell?

I was at a bar tournament in Indianapolis in the late '70s I think. Everybody was there. Jimmy Reid, Cue Ball Kelly, Willie Munsen...everybody. I was supposed to be backing Louie Roberts in the $10 10-ball ring game with a zillion players. We announced our intention to play without noticing that Paulie Campbell was in the middle of a multi rack run. He was in dead punch. He was in high gear. We waited and waited and finally Louie's tournament match was announced. He had to leave so I took his place and by the time I got to shoot I was down about a yard and a half. Damn if I didn't catch my gear and run a few racks. When I came up dry on one of the breaks, somehow nobody got out before it was my shot again. I ran some more racks. Man, I'll tell you, it doesn't take long to get well when you're running racks in a $10 ring game with a zillion players. Paulie and I both had football pockets after that session. There was nothing like Paulie when he was in the zone. Like Louie Roberts' his, Paulie's, was an untimely and tragic death.

Hard Times Carla

Verified Member
Paulie Campbell stories

Paulie Campbell stories

Paulie Campbell Stories

I started playing straight pool in college in Lansing Michigan. Joe Farhat owned the pool room there and really encouraged women players and young players. He held qualifiers for the US Open there, and let me play free of charge. Paulie Campbell lived about 2 blocks from the pool room, with his mom and a whole bunch of brothers and sisters. Joe told him he could play for free as long as he kept his grades up in school. He came in there every day after school, and soon he was running lots of racks with a kind of grasshopper looking stroke.

I went to Elizabeth New Jersey and qualified for the US Open and was heading for Chicago. Paulie was dying to go. He was not very old, maybe 12? But he was a total pool freak, he loved to talk to players, watch players, imitate players, learn from players. Joe Farhat told me he would pay our expenses, if I took Paulie. I did not want to because I liked to party a little back then, I did not want to have Paulie hanging around and besides, he was too young to get in the bars. But between Joe and Paulie, I agreed. Joe made me go meet Paulie’s mother, and get her okay, and Joe extracted a promise from Paulie that if I told him to stay in the room, he would do as I said.

We drove down to Chicago in my Econoline van with our cue sticks and a bankroll Joe gave us. The first day we were there we went to Bensingers, it was an old musty place full of champions. It looked a lot like the Rack n Cue inside, but I don’t think I had seen the Rack yet. Baby Face Whitlow was there and he steered us into someone Paulie could beat. But Paulie had no stall speed, he was woofing and running out and doing trick shots, like cutting a ball in the corner and playing the cue ball off the rubber inside the side pocket. So we could not get a customer to stay with him long. He was tickled to win though, and told me he was going to be a road player when he grew up.

That evening we went back to the Sheridan, and hung out and saw Mizerak and all the champions hitting balls. After dinner, I wanted to go to the bar, so I took Paulie to the room and he promised to stay there. I went downstairs, the bar was packed with pool players having fun. A couple hours later, a hotel guy in a uniform came looking for me. He asked if I was Carla Johnson and said there was an emergency in my room. I had to go see what happened. It seems that Paulie decided to smoke some cigarettes and smoked so many he set off the fire alarm!! The smoke was so thick I could not believe it. Luckily they did not kick us out. I called Joe Farhat, and he told me to hire a babysitter and he would pay, if I had to leave Paulie after that. So I did , and the rest of the trip went smoothly, with Paulie chirping about all the great players strokes, and talking about how he was going to beat all of them one day.

Paulie and Kim Davenport hustle Michigan

Paulie showed up somewhere where I was in Michigan, either Flint or Detroit. I had some spots where he could win, so I took him around to a few bars, and he won a little money before he scared his customers to death. After he beat someone and they quit, he would offer them the 7-8-9 or whatever they wanted to keep playing. I had to pull him out when he wanted to give some of them the break. But he was playing well enough to give up a lot of weight. He told me he and Kim had just gotten back from a trip around the pool spots in Michigan, north of Lansing. It seemed that he would go into a bar alone, beat whatever local talent they had. Then wait a while, or a day, and Kim would come in, looking for action. The locals would want to stake Paulie to play the stranger, and Kim would win. Paulie said they had to crawl out a few bathroom windows to make their getaway.

Paulie Campbell in Action on the Roof of the Ponchatrain?

Later, when I was practicing law in Detroit, they held a pro tournament on the top of a high end hotel, I can’t remember if it was the Ponch. Some tables were set up out on a balcony of sorts. Paulie got action with the player from Ohio whose dad used to own the store with the pool table on the way to Cleveland. Lots of players stopped there for action. The kid turned into a good player. I represented a lot of drug dealers back then, and had some cash in my pocket, so Paulie talked me into staking him for $1000 a set, nine ball. Races to 6 or 8. He was drinking beer and there was a lot of coke around, he lost so fast it made my head spin. But I had a lot of fun watching his long stroke, and pulling for him to win.

The Last Time I saw Paulie

Paulie had problems drinking, and I ran into him one day not long before he died. I asked him how everything was. He told me proudly that he was a father now, he had a little girl. I asked what her name was, and he turned red and said, “ Carlie.” I thought back to the fun we had at Joe Farhat’s place, watching Mataya run out, watching Bob Hunter, all the action. Playing pool with Vicki and Ewa, and Julie Hunter. And Dennis Hatch. I missed those days. I asked Paulie how his health was, he was looking a little yellow around the edges. He said his liver was shot, and the doc said he would not live if he did not give up drinking. I asked him what he was going to do, and he said, well, I’m going to drink.

Carla

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
Paulie Campbell Stories

I started playing straight pool in college in Lansing Michigan. Joe Farhat owned the pool room there and really encouraged women players and young players. He held qualifiers for the US Open there, and let me play free of charge. Paulie Campbell lived about 2 blocks from the pool room, with his mom and a whole bunch of brothers and sisters. Joe told him he could play for free as long as he kept his grades up in school. He came in there every day after school, and soon he was running lots of racks with a kind of grasshopper looking stroke.

I went to Elizabeth New Jersey and qualified for the US Open and was heading for Chicago. Paulie was dying to go. He was not very old, maybe 12? But he was a total pool freak, he loved to talk to players, watch players, imitate players, learn from players. Joe Farhat told me he would pay our expenses, if I took Paulie. I did not want to because I liked to party a little back then, I did not want to have Paulie hanging around and besides, he was too young to get in the bars. But between Joe and Paulie, I agreed. Joe made me go meet Paulie’s mother, and get her okay, and Joe extracted a promise from Paulie that if I told him to stay in the room, he would do as I said.

We drove down to Chicago in my Econoline van with our cue sticks and a bankroll Joe gave us. The first day we were there we went to Bensingers, it was an old musty place full of champions. It looked a lot like the Rack n Cue inside, but I don’t think I had seen the Rack yet. Baby Face Whitlow was there and he steered us into someone Paulie could beat. But Paulie had no stall speed, he was woofing and running out and doing trick shots, like cutting a ball in the corner and playing the cue ball off the rubber inside the side pocket. So we could not get a customer to stay with him long. He was tickled to win though, and told me he was going to be a road player when he grew up.

That evening we went back to the Sheridan, and hung out and saw Mizerak and all the champions hitting balls. After dinner, I wanted to go to the bar, so I took Paulie to the room and he promised to stay there. I went downstairs, the bar was packed with pool players having fun. A couple hours later, a hotel guy in a uniform came looking for me. He asked if I was Carla Johnson and said there was an emergency in my room. I had to go see what happened. It seems that Paulie decided to smoke some cigarettes and smoked so many he set off the fire alarm!! The smoke was so thick I could not believe it. Luckily they did not kick us out. I called Joe Farhat, and he told me to hire a babysitter and he would pay, if I had to leave Paulie after that. So I did , and the rest of the trip went smoothly, with Paulie chirping about all the great players strokes, and talking about how he was going to beat all of them one day.

Paulie and Kim Davenport hustle Michigan

Paulie showed up somewhere where I was in Michigan, either Flint or Detroit. I had some spots where he could win, so I took him around to a few bars, and he won a little money before he scared his customers to death. After he beat someone and they quit, he would offer them the 7-8-9 or whatever they wanted to keep playing. I had to pull him out when he wanted to give some of them the break. But he was playing well enough to give up a lot of weight. He told me he and Kim had just gotten back from a trip around the pool spots in Michigan, north of Lansing. It seemed that he would go into a bar alone, beat whatever local talent they had. Then wait a while, or a day, and Kim would come in, looking for action. The locals would want to stake Paulie to play the stranger, and Kim would win. Paulie said they had to crawl out a few bathroom windows to make their getaway.

Paulie Campbell in Action on the Roof of the Ponchatrain?

Later, when I was practicing law in Detroit, they held a pro tournament on the top of a high end hotel, I can’t remember if it was the Ponch. Some tables were set up out on a balcony of sorts. Paulie got action with the player from Ohio whose dad used to own the store with the pool table on the way to Cleveland. Lots of players stopped there for action. The kid turned into a good player. I represented a lot of drug dealers back then, and had some cash in my pocket, so Paulie talked me into staking him for $1000 a set, nine ball. Races to 6 or 8. He was drinking beer and there was a lot of coke around, he lost so fast it made my head spin. But I had a lot of fun watching his long stroke, and pulling for him to win.

The Last Time I saw Paulie

Paulie had problems drinking, and I ran into him one day not long before he died. I asked him how everything was. He told me proudly that he was a father now, he had a little girl. I asked what her name was, and he turned red and said, “ Carlie.” I thought back to the fun we had at Joe Farhat’s place, watching Mataya run out, watching Bob Hunter, all the action. Playing pool with Vicki and Ewa, and Julie Hunter. And Dennis Hatch. I missed those days. I asked Paulie how his health was, he was looking a little yellow around the edges. He said his liver was shot, and the doc said he would not live if he did not give up drinking. I asked him what he was going to do, and he said, well, I’m going to drink.

Carla
Carla, I miss you, you have always been a stand up person and I admire you for that, along with other reasons. That was a great story, and very well written as well. Stay healthy, and good luck.

Billy Incardona