C. Dickson vs. R. Luat 2010 D.C.C.

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
Dennis,

It would be interesting to continue the WWYD from this position.

I believe Luat gave up some strength by not bringing the 10 ball into play here, given that the three ball combo is not exactly dead.

Bernie.

Bernie,

It would always be interesting to continue WWYD's but I feel that by going through them shot-by-shot I'd be infringing on Pat Fleming and AccuStat's work. That's the reason I so rarely do it. I don't have the time right now to even put the DVD back in and tell you what Cole shot.

Here's the link to the match on AccuStats if anyone wants to purchase it:

http://www.1vshop.com/Accu-Stats/st...882&PNAME=Cole+Dickson+vs.+Rodolfo+Luat+(DVD)

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
From
Ghosttown
And, if the tickee is not available to Cole.....any experienced 3-cushion-playing One Pocket player, such as myself, Freddy, John Henderson, Jeff Carter, Marco Marquez, Efren, etc. etc. will notice and have no problem responding by shooting this very effective safety...

Billiarding off of the left side of that striped ball that's nearest the cueball, then striking the long rail, then the foot rail, and leaving the cueball frozen against/under the 10ball/cluster.

- Ghost

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
Rob, Fred and Luke-- You don't like Luat's simple safety. I don't either. What shot do you favor?

I like banking the striped ball straight back into the cluster, which would more favorably gather balls around Luat's hole. If he controls whitey, the CB should be blocked by the stripe on Cole's side.

Of course if the three ball combination is on, then I might fire at it.

Doc

mr3cushion

Verified Member
From
Cocoa Beach, FL
Rob, Fred and Luke-- You don't like Luat's simple safety. I don't either. What shot do you favor?

I like banking the striped ball straight back into the cluster, which would more favorably gather balls around Luat's hole. If he controls whitey, the CB should be blocked by the stripe on Cole's side.

Doc

Doc; Who the hell is Luke? As in, Perry!

I've known the Mr. Perry AKA, (The Ghost) on our forum as Bruce Perry, for over 40 years. Has the young actor joined our ranks?

Bill Smith "Mr3Cushion"
;)

backplaying

Verified Member

Doc

That's the shot I liked.

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
From
Ghosttown

Doc

Doc....I'm assuming the combination was not laying all that well or Luat would have shot it...that said, I would either have shot your (and others) bank on the striped ball, or Bernie's shot - but I would have to be at the table in real time and see the exact angles involved, to determine which of the two shots I would have chosen.

- Ghost

tylerdurden

Verified Member
The shot Laut chose wasn't worth 2 dead flies. WOW

Ha, is that a southern line? I remember hearing that phrase "aint worth 2 dead flies" in the movie "Runaway Train".

Anyway, after my closer inspection, why am I the only one that is surprised here that he didn't shoot all out for the 3 ball combo to win it? If that was a 6, 7, 9 combo in 9 ball, what is his percentage? I bet we are talking near 90% if the pockets are a decent size. If he goes on to lose this game, that is why imo. He is an offensive player, I think the combo is the shot for him. I think the only reason he didn't shoot it is because he'd have to hit it a little hard, and control of whitey may be trouble. Did he line that combo up at all Dennis?

Last edited:

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
From
Ghosttown
Anyway, after my closer inspection, why am I the only one that is surprised here that he didn't shoot all out for the 3 ball combo to win it? If that was a 6, 7, 9 combo in 9 ball, what is his percentage? I bet we are talking near 90% if the pockets are a decent size. If he goes on to lose this game, that is why imo. He is an offensive player, I think the combo is the shot for him. I think the only reason he didn't shoot it is because he'd have to hit it a little hard, and control of whitey may be trouble. Did he line that combo up at all Dennis?

Tyler....I can't speak for anybody else, but here's why I'm not surprised he didn't shoot it...

You think the combo is a 90% shot...I guess we're viewing the pics differently - can't tell for sure, but to me it looks like it may not even be makeable at all...because it looks to me like Luat can't cut the 6 thin enough, to hit the 13 full enough, to make the 10...and also, as you said above - to try and make it whitey would have been turned into a careening pinball...:heh

- Ghost

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
And, if the tickee is not available to Cole.....any experienced 3-cushion-playing One Pocket player, such as myself, Freddy, John Henderson, Jeff Carter, Marco Marquez, Efren, etc. etc. will notice and have no problem responding by shooting this very effective safety...

Billiarding off of the left side of that striped ball that's nearest the cueball, then striking the long rail, then the foot rail, and leaving the cueball frozen against/under the 10ball/cluster.

- Ghost

Let me start off by saying that the shot Luat shot was too passive, especially considering how the balls are positioned. Im still sticking with banking the striped ball near the side pocket and play cue ball behind the stripe near center table. If executed right the stripe will cover the cluster and take away any good options. If the bank lays right for the speed to open the cluster then the shot is by far the strongest option.

In regard to the return shot off Luat's option I agree with all who say that it's a bad choice. I personally don't like the "ticki" as an answer to the shot, I prefer to either play The Ghost's shot or simply kicking two cushions off the side rail to the bottom rail and then softly into the back of the cluster. No mishaps there and the kick is an angle that we should all be familiar with.

Dr. Bill

tylerdurden

Verified Member
Tyler....I can't speak for anybody else, but here's why I'm not surprised he didn't shoot it...

You think the combo is a 90% shot...I guess we're viewing the pics differently - can't tell for sure, but to me it looks like it may not even be makeable at all...because it looks to me like Luat can't cut the 6 thin enough, to hit the 13 full enough, to make the 10...and also, as you said above - to try and make it whitey would have been turned into a careening pinball...:heh

- Ghost

It is thin. If he is just a fraction over though, I really like. I'd bet anything he'd make that if he just shot at it though, but the cb is another thing as you say, and he'd have to really smack it.

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
Doc; Who the hell is Luke? As in, Perry!

I've known the Mr. Perry AKA, (The Ghost) on our forum as Bruce Perry, for over 40 years. Has the young actor joined our ranks?

Bill Smith "Mr3Cushion"[/SIZE] ;)

Bill, Bruce encourages his close friends to use his other name. That's why so few of y'all know it...:D

Doc

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
Let me start off by saying that the shot Luat shot was too passive, especially considering how the balls are positioned. Im still sticking with banking the striped ball near the side pocket and play cue ball behind the stripe near center table. If executed right the stripe will cover the cluster and take away any good options. If the bank lays right for the speed to open the cluster then the shot is by far the strongest option.

In regard to the return shot off Luat's option I agree with all who say that it's a bad choice. I personally don't like the "ticki" as an answer to the shot, I prefer to either play The Ghost's shot or simply kicking two cushions off the side rail to the bottom rail and then softly into the back of the cluster. No mishaps there and the kick is an angle that we should all be familiar with.

Dr. Bill

Well, I finally got to agree with one of the Hacker's choices. One of these eons, CarBone and I will settle on one (of course, not if I post my choice first). I may get to agree with him, but it is dim that he will agree with me.:frus

Beard

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
Well, I finally got to agree with one of the Hacker's choices. One of these eons, CarBone and I will settle on one (of course, not if I post my choice first). I may get to agree with him, but it is dim that he will agree with me.:frus

Beard

I only rebut your shot selection when I feel your wrong, which isn't often. As memory serves me I have only disagreed with your choices maybe three times in the last six months :sorry I understand that two of those times have been very recent (accumulation theory) you're just playing bad right now but I have faith in you and you'll be back in stroke in no time.:heh :D :p.

Dr. Bill

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
I only rebut your shot selection when I feel your wrong, which isn't often. As memory serves me I have only disagreed with your choices maybe three times in the last six months :sorry I understand that two of those times have been very recent (accumulation theory) you're just playing bad right now but I have faith in you and you'll be back in stroke in no time.:heh :D :p.

Dr. Bill
Now that i'm back from Vegas I can spend more time discussing options and my take on certain situations, like this one for example. In regard to the "ticki" The "ticki" will push balls toward the bottom rail and could very easily leave a return bank for the win for Luat which Imo is not something I would like to do if there is another option. The Ghost's shot and my suggestion will both position the cue ball on the 'safe' side of the cluster not allowing a return shot as a winner. In addition to that when you position the cue ball in back of the cluster you're starting the process of moving balls away from your opponents pocket/side.

This brings me back to the original position before Luat shot his shot. Luat's option would of been much stronger if he had a ball positioned on the bottom rail near his pocket. This type of a position would preclude any return option from entering from the back of the cluster (Ghost's shot or the kick) In this type of a situation Freddies 'ticki" would then be the best choice.

The ultimate position for Luat would be to have a ball or balls positioned on the short rail close to his pocket and on the side rail close to his pocket and the cue ball positioned in back of a cover ball. The option that I liked with banking the striped ball and floating across table behind the stripe will offer him the chance to develop that type of a position which would be Imo the strongest position possible.

Develop and protect.

Dr. Bill

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
When Buddy is playing JJ or Efren is playing anyone many of the players here take that into account when formulating their replies. How many times have we heard here that you can't leave Efren that shot or JJ or Buddy or whomever? Why is it that nobody is taking into account who Luat is playing? He's playing a guy known to be a 9-Ball player and a great banker. He's not known for intricately placing the cueball into tight spots or knowing the correct responses to tough situations like this one.

I think Luat made the right decision. He left no offensive shot and no bank.

If I don't work OT tomorrow night I will pop in the DVD and show what Dickson shot, I honestly never watched it that far and it's been a few years since I watched it so I sure don't remember.

Dennis

onepockethacker

Verified Member
Luats shot accomplished ZERO, ZIP, NADA... He left a simple safe to go off the 15 ball underneath the 3 ball cluster by Luats pocket. The 15 ball is going to hit the end rail and then side rail and sit up in a nice bank position for Coles hole. The safety is a simple 9 ball saftey which someone of Coles 9 ball prowess should have no problem executing. If and when Coles gets underneath the 3 balls Luat will be forced to move at least one of them. So in conclusion Luats choice to put it blunty but politely....... WASN'T WORTH JACK SHIT!!!
Cole can even kick softly 2 rails at the 10 ball from the spot he is in. Doesn't even have to move the 15 ball and if Cole nestle up on the 10 ball Luat will be forced to move a ball.

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
Luats shot accomplished ZERO, ZIP, NADA... He left a simple safe to go off the 15 ball underneath the 3 ball cluster by Luats pocket. The 15 ball is going to hit the end rail and then side rail and sit up in a nice bank position for Coles hole. The safety is a simple 9 ball saftey which someone of Coles 9 ball prowess should have no problem executing. If and when Coles gets underneath the 3 balls Luat will be forced to move at least one of them. So in conclusion Luats choice to put it blunty but politely....... WASN'T WORTH JACK SHIT!!!
Cole can even kick softly 2 rails at the 10 ball from the spot he is in. Doesn't even have to move the 15 ball and if Cole nestle up on the 10 ball Luat will be forced to move a ball.

Like I said, when you guys are pretending to be playing Efren or Buddy or JJ you all are terrified as to what their reply shots will be. Dickson probably never even thought to go off the 15 ball and put the cueball behind the 3 balls, which is the right reply from here. He was a 9-Ball player.

Sometimes you have to play your opponent and sometimes you have to play the table.

Dennis