J. Hall vs. A. Pagulayan 2013 D.C.C.

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
The 7-ball cross-side is a hanger. It should be made at least 4 out of five times.Cut it slightly, and use a soft draw to keep from bumping the 4 ball over enough to interfere with the path of the 7 ball heading to the pocket. Center ball or follow will bump the 4 ball into the path of the 7.

Two-railers and Straight-backs?

Beard

Bill, I do remember you spending a little time up in Chicago. Two-railer?

wgcp

Verified Member
From
long beach, mississippi
If I felt real good the cue is close to the 4 and I would bank it straight back...it would give me at least two more balls...
If I felt bad i would bank the 8 back to the corner by the 4... just to lay down a little oil...

B

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
The 7-ball cross-side is a hanger. It should be made at least 4 out of five times.Cut it slightly, and use a soft draw to keep from bumping the 4 ball over enough to interfere with the path of the 7 ball heading to the pocket. Center ball or follow will bump the 4 ball into the path of the 7.

Beard

How the hell did you see this from a layout on a computer screen? That's what he did and he made it. The kiss with the 4 was a little closer than you figured though:p.

jhalls shot1.jpg

Even though the 7 is blurred you can see how close the kiss was:

jhalls shot2.jpg

He left himself here:

jhalls leave.jpg

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois

Island Drive

Verified Member
From
florence, colorado

Beard

Bill, I do remember you spending a little time up in Chicago. Two-railer?

Four ball looks like it becomes part of the shot....blocker. But depending on the camera angle, different shots seem makable, other times they are out of the question.

KSager

From
Pataskala, OH
Why not the 7 one rail up in the corner? It looks pretty good from the pictures to me. I would put the cueball close to the 4 to not leave anything if I miss.

John Brumback

Verified Member
I'm late to the party but I would have shot the pink ball straight back with a little high right. He was making a very small pocket to that side,when he had to use draw to keep from bumping that ball into his bankin path.Draw makes the oball go long hence a small pocket for a shot of this nature. I could have made the pocket seem like a bucket with the pink straight back;) but that's my secret,well it used to be:lol John B.

backplaying

Verified Member
I'm late to the party but I would have shot the pink ball straight back with a little high right. He was making a very small pocket to that side,when he had to use draw to keep from bumping that ball into his bankin path.Draw makes the oball go long hence a small pocket for a shot of this nature. I could have made the pocket seem like a bucket with the pink straight back;) but that's my secret,well it used to be:lol John B.

I like that shot also. I have a much better feel for that type of shot over the 7 ball shot.

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
If I was a prosecuting atty and the defense wanted to present their case that to spot someone 16ft (that is the distance of the straight back shot) to 6ft (that is the distance of the cross side), and then declare that a 10ft spot is a better option, I would have to rest my case at that point.

Beard

PS one tip of reverse english which would be easily executed because you are so close to the object ball, would negate whatever spread might have resulted from the soft draw on the cross side.

Beard

John Brumback

Verified Member
If I was a prosecuting atty and the defense wanted to present their case that to spot someone 16ft (that is the distance of the straight back shot) to 6ft (that is the distance of the cross side), and then declare that a 10ft spot is a better option, I would have to rest my case at that point.

Beard

PS one tip of reverse english which would be easily executed because you are so close to the object ball, would negate whatever spread might have resulted from the soft draw on the cross side.

Beard

Yeah but what if you had a pocket that was going to play twice as big? That's the reason I choose some long shots over a shorter one alot of times,(bigger pocket) JB

Pelican

Verified Member
From
Magnolia Springs, AL
I know I am a rank amature but I like the 4 ball shot to a spot where the chalk is sitting closest to the pocket with 1/2 tip of low and half tip of left.

Then again, that may be why I go two and out :frus

Pel

John Brumback

Verified Member
I know I am a rank amature but I like the 4 ball shot to a spot where the chalk is sitting closest to the pocket with 1/2 tip of low and half tip of left.

Then again, that may be why I go two and out :frus

Pel

Pel ole buddy:sorry:lol.You would be shooting that shot exactly wrong,:eek: Left would make the pocket as small as you could possibly make it play. The trick to good banks is choosing the right shot with the right method for the shot at hand. Right hand english would allow us to take the oball as close to the pocket up there as we could therefore bringing it back on a much better path ( holding it up) creating the biggest pocket we could make. If hit like I'm talking about..the oball can hit 2 ft above the pocket and will still get sucked right in.If you hit the same shot with left you had better split the pocket or it will rattle and hang up:frus:p. Remind me and I will show you first hand at Tunica;)

The 7ball long cross corner does look to be layin close to on but I would choose the pink for reasons mentioned above. John B.

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
Yeah but what if you had a pocket that was going to play twice as big? That's the reason I choose some long shots over a shorter one alot of times,(bigger pocket) JB

Incardona and I actually measured the pocket openings on both shots and the side pocket opening is much bigger - if the table plays like mine -- that is, if you catch the long rail with any speed on the straight back on a table that is as tough as mine is, the pocket wont accept the ball. However, new cloth and relatively easy pockets might make the straight back play easier. Wet tables will work against the straight back also.

Finally, your accurate stroke is not available to most pool players attempting longer shots.

Beard

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
Pel ole buddy:sorry:lol.You would be shooting that shot exactly wrong,:eek: Left would make the pocket as small as you could possibly make it play. The trick to good banks is choosing the right shot with the right method for the shot at hand. Right hand english would allow us to take the oball as close to the pocket up there as we could therefore bringing it back on a much better path ( holding it up) creating the biggest pocket we could make. If hit like I'm talking about..the oball can hit 2 ft above the pocket and will still get sucked right in.If you hit the same shot with left you had better split the pocket or it will rattle and hang up:frus:p. Remind me and I will show you first hand at Tunica;)

The 7ball long cross corner does look to be layin close to on but I would choose the pink for reasons mentioned above. John B.

What I think John is trying to convey to you is that favoring english on a passover bank (one in which you cut the object back away from the angle), in this case left english will not help, and would actually hurt, your chances if the object ball contacts the long rail first.

Reverse english, in this case right english, if it contacts the long rail first, will be rolling and turning over in a manner that will allow it to somewhat slide down the rail and seek the pocket rather than be rebuffed by it.

You can prove this theory by shooting the cue ball, with speed, into a pocket and hitting the cushion in front of the pocket first. If you use inside english, that is english that is on the side of the rail you are shooting at, the pocket will gobble the ball. If you use outside english, that is, english that is on the other side of the cue ball and furthest away from the cushion you are shooting at, the cue ball will often bubble in the pocket and be spit out.

Beard