4-balls-in-the-kitchen rule?

Xopher

What is the 4-balls-in-the-kitchen rule? So far I understand that if there are more than 4 balls in the kitchen at the end of a player’s inning, the ball that is closed to the end rail spots. But what I don’t know is whether this is at all points in the game. If all 15 balls are still on the table and 5 of them are in the kitchen, does one still spot at the end of the inning?

Frank Almanza

Verified Member
From
Upland, California
It would make more sense that the rule would be for all points of the game. In some tournaments the rule is the ball that is most close to the line and not the rail.

Xopher

I can see that. I suppose any tournament director can do whatever they like. Is there a major reference we can use to try to standardize? I looked at the rules for the Derby City Classic this year and there was no mention of this rule.

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
I can see that. I suppose any tournament director can do whatever they like. Is there a major reference we can use to try to standardize? I looked at the rules for the Derby City Classic this year and there was no mention of this rule.

The rules you are referencing, are rules I developed and copyrighted years ago. I gave Grady Mathews permission to use a variation of it in one of his tournaments. They are sometimes mistakenly called "Grady's" rules.
Click on this link and go down the page until you come to the Beard's Speedo One Pocket rules.

http://bankingwiththebeard.com/?p=354

Beard

sappo

Verified Member
From
Tucson AZ
The rules you are referencing, are rules I developed and copyrighted years ago. I gave Grady Mathews permission to use a variation of it in one of his tournaments. They are sometimes mistakenly called "Grady's" rules.
Click on this link and go down the page until you come to the Beard's Speedo One Pocket rules.

Beard

freddie, im curious did grady ASK for your permission?

Xopher

Beard

Hi Beard,

Thank you. It seems that rule #3 is the closest to the answer I'm looking for: "3. __When there are 8 balls or more on the table and they have all traveled past
the second diamond at the foot of the table, the 3 balls closest to the head
rail are to be spotted up except in cases where balls are in balk. Balls in balk
will always have precedence in the spotting order."

However, that still seems a bit different from what I've seen (DCC maybe) where there weren't additional balk lines, just a certain number of balls in the kitchen. Have you seen these rules employed in any major tournaments?

Thank you

tylerdurden

Verified Member
I know it isn't answering your question, but I'd much rather see many crazy things than balls in the kitchen spotting to speed up one hole. Many/most of them would have to do with penalizing a player who pocket scratches to a much greater extent. Pocket scratches are a good source to really punish a player. The beauty is, think about the type of players this would really punish. Guys like Reyes would go virtually unscathed, while guys that like to let whitey go get really punished. It's perfect I think.... reward very controlled cue balls. That is just the way I see it, however unqualified.

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
Hi Beard,

Thank you. It seems that rule #3 is the closest to the answer I'm looking for: "3. __When there are 8 balls or more on the table and they have all traveled past
the second diamond at the foot of the table, the 3 balls closest to the head
rail are to be spotted up except in cases where balls are in balk. Balls in balk
will always have precedence in the spotting order."

However, that still seems a bit different from what I've seen (DCC maybe) where there weren't additional balk lines, just a certain number of balls in the kitchen. Have you seen these rules employed in any major tournaments?

Thank you

As far as I know those rules, adjusted to be sure, have only been utilized in a few tournaments.

Beard

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
I know it isn't answering your question, but I'd much rather see many crazy things than balls in the kitchen spotting to speed up one hole. Many/most of them would have to do with penalizing a player who pocket scratches to a much greater extent. Pocket scratches are a good source to really punish a player. The beauty is, think about the type of players this would really punish. Guys like Reyes would go virtually unscathed, while guys that like to let whitey go get really punished. It's perfect I think.... reward very controlled cue balls. That is just the way I see it, however unqualified.

TD,

Beware the law of unintended consequences; if you make turning the cueball loose a more penalized option, the players will end up playing more ticky-tack safeties and prolong the game.

I'll tell you what would be fun to see though, a spot in the center of the table, ala snooker, where the cueball would optionally be placed on a pocket scratch. Now that would be fun to see.

Dennis

tylerdurden

Verified Member
TD,

Beware the law of unintended consequences; if you make turning the cueball loose a more penalized option, the players will end up playing more ticky-tack safeties and prolong the game.

I'll tell you what would be fun to see though, a spot in the center of the table, ala snooker, where the cueball would optionally be placed on a pocket scratch. Now that would be fun to see.

Dennis

I did not think of that, sure seems possible and am sure glad you noted that too me - i'll think more about it.

I do think at high levels though (which is not really what this thread is about) having a scratch deduct a ball from the scratcher and give one or two to the opposing player would result in very fair and much quicker play. Fair imo anyway :)