Lets clear up all the dumping talk

onepockethacker

Verified Member
Just to clear up the dumping excuse used by SJD's groupies. I will take 8 to 1 and play Shane Van Boeing an even race to 8 also. I will take 10 to 1 and play Efren an even race to 8. Are these guys dumpers also? whats the excuse now? They are all STEALING right? Lets find out

jrhendy

Verified Member
From
Placerville, CA
Just to clear up the dumping excuse used by SJD's groupies. I will take 8 to 1 and play Shane Van Boeing an even race to 8 also. I will take 10 to 1 and play Efren an even race to 8. Are these guys dumpers also? whats the excuse now? They are all STEALING right? Lets find out

I guess spreading is ok. You & Ronny at The Derby?

onepocket926

Verified Member
From
Anderson, CA
SVB is a liar, a cheat & a general all-around dishonest piece of crap.

http://www.onepocket.org/forum/showthread.php?t=6307

...I'm not sure who...SVB is....but I've looked at the shot situation your referencing....I'm also not sure of the game rules...but if the rules are like we play here (very informal).....it's call ball and pocket.....

....just to offer another senerio.....

.......maybe he was...playing the 6 railer and hit it so bad it went in 2....and he was so dumbfounded that He actually thought he got credit for the shot......

.... :lol ....

Deeman

Verified Member
...I'm not sure who...SVB is....

If this is not a joke, then SVB is Shane Van B. who plays pretty well in a few different cue games. I am beginning to think he has a possible future in this game if he can lose the cheating accusation. By the way, I have watched him play hundreds of games and never once saw anything that he did that was questionable in any way. His biggest fault is he rarely misses. :)

DeeMan

onepocket926

Verified Member
From
Anderson, CA
...I'm not sure who...SVB is....

If this is not a joke, then SVB is Shane Van B. who plays pretty well in a few different cue games. I am beginning to think he has a possible future in this game if he can lose the cheating accusation. By the way, I have watched him play hundreds of games and never once saw anything that he did that was questionable in any way. His biggest fault is he rarely misses. :)

DeeMan

...thanks for the info......was no joke that I didn't know who he is....but...the 6 railer part of the thread...I was being facetious....lol.....

tylerdurden

Verified Member
OK here's where I show my gambling ignorance. What is spreading?

This is when 2 guys "gamble" but no money really exchanges hands. Sometimes it's done just to get action going in a room (I have very little problem with this myself), and sometimes it is done to get specific person(s) into a bad game.

I have seen that first type of spread really liven up a room, in a good way for all.
Seeing gambling just makes people want to gamble themselves.

stevelomako

Verified Member
From
Detroit, MI
By the way Shane does have the same backer

This is correct.

John Mars was and is still, Shane Van Boenings stakehorse.

If fact, John Mars has been in Los Angeles all week with Shane at the Jay Swanson Memorial Tournament at Hard Times.

There has never ever been a problem with Shane and John.

JAM

Verified Member
I cannot imagine Shane Van Boening being involved in a dump. It just too far-fetched, in my opinion, watching his demeanor over the years. He's about as clean-cut as a pool player can be. :D

I was disappointed in the so-called "stakehorse" when he jumped out of the stands and threatened Earl Strickland during a challenge match. I understand he may have been irritated with Earl's antics, but I thought that the threatening part did not belong in that challenge match. I do believe, however, he was just trying to defend Shane against Earl's verbal arrows. Nothing negative happened, thank goodness, as Earl proceeded to win the match on the gaffe table. :lol

Sometimes people can get in your head before a match with mere words. Good players like Earl are able to overcome that, I guess. ;)

Money is the root of all evils. Sure, in pool, we want to win money, but at what cost? How much do you lose when you win big at the expense of being egotistical, nasty, mean-spirited, and boastful? It speaks volumes to me when a stakehorse is given an award for his backing capabilities. Talk about the Emperor's New Clothes. :eek:

On the other side of the coin, without backers, there would not be a match in some cases. Most pool players are broke dogs and can't come with the big bucks, unless they get a backers committee. I always liked the backers committee concept. You don't win as much as a player, but it's nice to have a room full of backers rooting for you while you're in the heat of the battle, and if you lose, it only hurts for a little bit. If you win, you're everybody's King for the Day, receiving pats on the back and high-fives.

Don't get me wrong. There are some good-natured stakehorses who genuinely love action and wouldn't threaten anyone. They just have a passion for pool and want to get things going. Harry Platis comes to mind, as does Ricky from down South. But I've also seen some backers in my travels who were kind of scary, wearing fur coats and lots of gold jewelry, looking more like pimps than stakehorses. I guess in a way, they are pimps to the pool player in action. :p

The backer does take a risk putting up all the cheese. The last time my other half was offered to be backed in a big challenge match, the offer presented to him from a multi-million-dollar backer was the backer would get 80 percent and he could collect 20 percent of the net proceeds, AFTER expenses. Wasn't that a nice deal? :mad:

I guess I have a love-hate relationship with stakehorses. If you were to ask some players what is more important, the win or the money, what would the reply be? For me, money isn't as important as it once was, and I would reply the "almighty win," but for the broke pool players of today, I'm not so sure the win is as important as how much money they pocket. :eek:

In sum, as Fast Eddie said, money won is sweeter than money earned, I guess. :cool:

Last edited:

JG-in-KY

Verified Member
From
Whitley City, Kentucky
Actually, its the love of money that is the root of all evil:). I like and agree with what your saying Jenny. I have done some stakehorsing myself also. I always gave the player 50% and paid all expenses. Always gave the player a nice jellyroll if I had them in the calcutta. Was this the best return on your money (stakehorsing)....no, I just loved the game and the action. I never threatened an opposing player or tried to shark him in anyway. We just made the game and let it play out fairly. Of course we never played Earl:eek:

vapros

Verified Member
From
baton rouge, la
JG, it's good to hear from a real live stakehorse, and I have a question for you. In the long run, can a stakehorse make any money, or even break even? Are you not always laying at least 2-1 when you gamble, or even worse than that when there are expenses to cover? I have always figured that the backer is in the action for some reason other than profit.

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
JG, it's good to hear from a real live stakehorse, and I have a question for you. In the long run, can a stakehorse make any money, or even break even? Are you not always laying at least 2-1 when you gamble, or even worse than that when there are expenses to cover? I have always figured that the backer is in the action for some reason other than profit.

You're only laying 2/1 the 1st game or set.
I'm not a stakehorse, I'm a numbers guy.
All the times I've staked anyone, I was trying to help a friend who needed some help,not someone who was always looking to be staked.
Rod.

vapros

Verified Member
From
baton rouge, la
Rod, I'm not following you. When the action is over, doesn't the player get half of the winnings? You can lose it all, but only win half. Ain't that laying 2-1? I understand your explanation, in that after you get ahead you are playing on winnings, but what if you lose the first set and decide to keep playing? Aren't you laying 2-1 on each new bet?

Bill

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
Rod, I'm not following you. When the action is over, doesn't the player get half of the winnings? You can lose it all, but only win half. Ain't that laying 2-1? I understand your explanation, in that after you get ahead you are playing on winnings, but what if you lose the first set and decide to keep playing? Aren't you laying 2-1 on each new bet?

Bill

No if you lose the 1st set and play another, if you win the 2nd set, you get to keep it all. :)
Rod.

Last edited:

JG-in-KY

Verified Member
From
Whitley City, Kentucky

Sorry it took me awhile to respond. You know I really didn't take into consideration what my odds were, I wasn't a sucker (I don't think..LOL) I definitely knew there was better returns on my money. Like I said I just loved the action and pool! Maybe when I brought a road player to town, I was vicariously living through them. Now don't get me wrong, I am not talking about Detroit Rack money here. When it came to sports betting and chicken fighting(never been around another group of people who had so much gamble and bet so high!) I was rolling pretty high....certainly when you took into account my debt to income ratio (ha ha). Without seeming to be a braggart I would like to say I was pretty successful.

beatle

Verified Member
your are laying two to one on the money if you are playing an even game with no edge over your opponent. if you have a decent edge and play long enough you are still laying two to one on the money but you expectation of winning is much higher maybe even assured. so you can afford to give half if you want.

in general staking and giving 50% is crazy unless it is for a long period of time and you hav a big edge over your opponents.

for a one time deal for big money with the player being broke he should be very happy with 20% of the win and no risk of loss. for a long road trip than 50% looks reasonable if he is playing only in good games.