Scott Frost Wants a 1 Pocket Game - Any Takers?

petie

Verified Member
From
Citrus Springs, FL
I have never used nor played with someone that did but I guess that is how they have always played in the past so it was allowed.

If you're talking about how Efren and Scott have always played, I don't know. The story I heard was that Efren called him on it when he got out the jump stick but Scot said, "We do it all the time," and Efren laid down. I was horrified when I heard it and I still am. Anybody who uses one in One Pocket should be impaled on one.

petie

Verified Member
From
Citrus Springs, FL
Total amount of shots allowed to be taken against me in Onepocket with a jump cue -- lifetime -- double zero.

Ten years ago in Vegas I told Scott Frost he was going to be the best Onepocket player in the world. He thought I was kidding and said he would never be able to beat Efren. I told him he had every tool needed to get to the top, including some things that cant be taught, like grift sense.

Beard

Ooh!, 'grift sense.' I like it.

tonygreen

Well-Known-Member
Bugs offered everyone 9 to 8 at Gradys Legends tournament at South Philly Biliards. That included, Ronnie, Hopkins, Buddy, etc.

When Efren became king everybody could easily get 10 to 8 including the #2 at the time, Cliff Joyner.

Beard

That's my point, Frost has to offer up a little something ... sometimes you have to make it appear that you need to outrun the nuts
(sometimes to get em to the table you offer to take the worst of it) when deep inside you know , that you like your small advantage !!!

petie

Verified Member
From
Citrus Springs, FL
Fats and Bugs according to John Henry AKA john McHendry.

Fats and Bugs according to John Henry AKA john McHendry.

It was 1963 or after at Johnston City and it was the 15-Ball Bank Pool tournament. Bugs was playing none other than Minnesota Fats, AKA New York Fats, AKA Double Smart Fats, AKA Rudolf Wanderone Jr. Bugs won the lag and broke wide open. According to John Henry, they had always played the open break and if you made one, it spotted up but you kept shooting. Bugs made one but Fats stopped him and insisted they were playing call ball and that meant you had to call the ball on the break or it was no good and so it was now Fat’s shot.
They had to call one of the Janscos to intercede but finally allowed Fat’s interpretation of the unstated rules. So Fats starts shooting and makes 7 banks and now needs one to win the game. I forget how that game turned out but eventually they got to hill/hill on games and hill/hill on the hill game. The seven-ball is near the RH corner pocket at the head of the table and its Fat’s shot. He makes the seven straight in and leaves the cue tight to the pocket. The seven spots and its Bug’s shot. Bugs calls the seven one rail in the LH corner pocket at the head of the table.
Now Fats asks for a break to pee. They suspend play while Fats pees and when they come back, someone had spotted the nine-ball in place of the seven. Bugs just pointed to it and called it again in the same pocket he had before the break and proceeded to make it.
Fats jumped up and claimed the last time Bugs had called any ball he had called the seven- ball and had not called the ball he made which was the nine-ball. He made a big stink about it. Again, they call the Janscos and end up ruling in favor of Fats. To his distinct credit, and this all according to the account of John Henry some 40 years later (last week) Corn Bread Red jumped up and saved Bugs by saying he thought he had been cheated. This started a whole new discussion which eventually resolved in a do-over. They would play the hill game again.
On the do over the exact same thing happened as last time only this time Bugs call the correct ball and made it. Bugs then said to Fats, “You cheated me all through the tournament. How ‘bout you and me just play some?” According to JH they then played and Bugs beat him out of $30,000.
Admittedly, I was not there and heard this second hand from John Henry. I tell it here hoping Freddie will correct the whole story because I know he was there and knows what really happened. It is bound to be very interesting in any case. Happy New Year everybody.

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
It was 1963 or after at Johnston City and it was the 15-Ball Bank Pool tournament. Bugs was playing none other than Minnesota Fats, AKA New York Fats, AKA Double Smart Fats, AKA Rudolf Wanderone Jr. Bugs won the lag and broke wide open. According to John Henry, they had always played the open break and if you made one, it spotted up but you kept shooting. Bugs made one but Fats stopped him and insisted they were playing call ball and that meant you had to call the ball on the break or it was no good and so it was now Fat’s shot.
They had to call one of the Janscos to intercede but finally allowed Fat’s interpretation of the unstated rules. So Fats starts shooting and makes 7 banks and now needs one to win the game. I forget how that game turned out but eventually they got to hill/hill on games and hill/hill on the hill game. The seven-ball is near the RH corner pocket at the head of the table and its Fat’s shot. He makes the seven straight in and leaves the cue tight to the pocket. The seven spots and its Bug’s shot. Bugs calls the seven one rail in the LH corner pocket at the head of the table.
Now Fats asks for a break to pee. They suspend play while Fats pees and when they come back, someone had spotted the nine-ball in place of the seven. Bugs just pointed to it and called it again in the same pocket he had before the break and proceeded to make it.
Fats jumped up and claimed the last time Bugs had called any ball he had called the seven- ball and had not called the ball he made which was the nine-ball. He made a big stink about it. Again, they call the Janscos and end up ruling in favor of Fats. To his distinct credit, and this all according to the account of John Henry some 40 years later (last week) Corn Bread Red jumped up and saved Bugs by saying he thought he had been cheated. This started a whole new discussion which eventually resolved in a do-over. They would play the hill game again.
On the do over the exact same thing happened as last time only this time Bugs call the correct ball and made it. Bugs then said to Fats, “You cheated me all through the tournament. How ‘bout you and me just play some?” According to JH they then played and Bugs beat him out of $30,000.
Admittedly, I was not there and heard this second hand from John Henry. I tell it here hoping Freddie will correct the whole story because I know he was there and knows what really happened. It is bound to be very interesting in any case. Happy New Year everybody.

John Henry can give Paul Bunyon 2 hit and the pick with the tall tales. They never, ever had a bank pool tournament at Johnston City. Never. Fats only played in one tournament down there, the first one. Bugs played in NONE. Bugs did beat Fats playing banks giving Fatty 8 to 7. Joey Spaeth staked Bugs. $30,000 is light years away from what Fatty actually lost.

Beard

SJDinPHX

Suspended
It's the future, alotta guys doin it. :D

Sorry Lenny, I agree with everyone else..It would change the entire concept of one pocket..A good safety (in certain situations) could possibly become almost meaningless...Look what its done for 9 ball..:(... They had to keep changing the rules, 'til they finally added a ball)..Bye,Bye 9 ball..:eek:..Besides, a 'real' good jumper, (like SVB) might become a favorite, over a guy, (like Scott) who is a better all-around one pocket player...If "jumping" in 1P, is the future, I'm glad I won't be seeing it...Trust me, It'll ruin the game !..:sorry

Last edited:

Fast Lenny

Verified Member
From
Arizona & OCNY
Sorry Lenny, I agree with everyone else..It would change the entire concept of one pocket..A good safety could become almost meaningless..Look what its done to 9 ball..:( ...A good jumper, (like SVB) might become a favorite, over a guy, (like Scott) who was a better all around one pocket player...If its the future, I'm glad I won't be seeing it...Trust me, It'll ruin the game !..:sorry
Oh I agree, I have never used a jump cue in one pocket and rarely ever do playing nine ball. From what I overheard during that match, Scott told Efren that they always played with it in the past and Efren just let it go but the shot certainly was game changing.

jazznpool

Verified Member
From
Orange, CA
Oh I agree, I have never used a jump cue in one pocket and rarely ever do playing nine ball. From what I overheard during that match, Scott told Efren that they always played with it in the past and Efren just let it go but the shot certainly was game changing.

Hey Lenny, remind or enlighten Scott that as one of the best alive in the game of one pocket billiards he has an OBLIGATION to protect and uphold the integrity of the game. Like it or not, Scott is in a leadership position.

IMO, it will speak very sadly of his character if he advocates reducing or debasing the game. Jump cues simply don't belong in one pocket.

Martin

beatle

Verified Member
maybe in a tournament for the viewers. but between two players for cash they make whatever rules they want. that is all part of the game.

tylerdurden

Verified Member
I don't really like this argument about svb possibly being able to beat frost because of jumping. Can't you just say that frost would have to learn to jump better, or that the game would need to be played differently. Just speaking from a purely technical standpoint, I think it is perfectly reasonable to allow jumping, jump cues are another thing imo. I mean all jacking up is a form of jumping; where is the cutoff? Further evidence that this reasoning is no good is efren's winning % in 9 ball. He never jumped a ball and beat everybody. It may be interesting to see how the game evolved with jumps too. Having said all that however, i'm not sure i'd like to see jumping in one pocket, just making some points.

wgcp

Verified Member
From
long beach, mississippi
Grady's tapes

Grady's tapes

If you watch one of grady's tapes, can't remember which one, he shows a couple of jump shots for one pocket, but he uses the cue he shoots with... not a jump cue... I think it is a legal shot... but don't think too many people would do it... course some people don't like their money...lol

B

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
Well Scott is trying to find a guy to get in the box for $10,000-$20,000 playing even one pocket, 8 ahead. Here is what he posted on Facebook with a little editing.

The Freezer said...

I'm the best onepocket player on the planet.

Yes, I do think I'm the best by far.

Since I'm quoted as "the best"... you boys know who you are out there.

Well, this certainly answers the age-old question:

Artie Bodendorfer said:
What is it worth too be the greatest One Pocket player in the world?

What is the value off being the greatest. One Pocket player in the world.

And no what you are doing. What players play the game off one pocket correctly. And Why?

And pick your player. And tell me Why you think he is the greatest player.

Or is everyone just picking and gussing.

Who realy knowes howe too play the game. And can explain what makes it correct.

Could you pick out one off thier taps and show what they do too make it correct.

Or is it all just touch feel repatition and instincte. Why did Eferine beat Chriss.

And what could Chriss have done different too win?

I think the only "correct" answer was given by moi:

Cowboy Dennis said:
There's only one way to determine it: Take a very large bag to the bank & walk up to the tellers window. Tell the nice lady that you are the "Greatest One-Pocket Player In The World". Then open up the bag and allow her to deposit cash into the bag. Then leave and go back to your car (if you own one) and count up the money in the bag. That's how to find out what it's worth and that's about the only way.

Dennis

I think that the average 18 year old working at McDonalds will earn more money in 2013 than Frost will earn playing anybody even one-pocket, but that's just my opinion. I've been wrong before.

Where's Dippy Dave & a good manager when you need them.

Dennis

petie

Verified Member
From
Citrus Springs, FL
Well, this certainly answers the age-old question:

I think the only "correct" answer was given by moi:

I think that the average 18 year old working at McDonalds will earn more money in 2013 than Frost will earn playing anybody even one-pocket, but that's just my opinion. I've been wrong before.

Where's Dippy Dave & a good manager when you need them.

Dennis

Dennis,

You're old enough to remember 'Big John.' He was around Michigan in the mid '80's and was a pretty big boy and was supposed to be from Ann Arbor but I don't know if he really was. His looks reminded me of Xaviar Cougat. Anyway, he would walk into the pool hall and say, "I've never been beat at pool." or "I'm the best pool player around." And this is essentially what Fatty did as well. When John said this, you just wanted to prove him wrong. He got whatever action was there to be had by doing that. Its a very effective way to get action.

vapros

Verified Member
From
baton rouge, la
In bowling, that was known as 'sassing the house' and was generally done over the PA system. I've done it a few times. It was a form of suicide. :D

BarneyCalip

Scott You Are The Best

Scott You Are The Best

Okay, now bring your 10k and the rest of your bank roll to Derby City.
I am sure there will be at least 10 guy's that will play you for 10k or more a game.
Problem is it won't be One Pocket.
Time to move on to a new game.
If I were you I would't boast of how good you are i those games either.
You just might win a game or two.

Take Care, Barney your biggest fan !!!!

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
Dennis,

You're old enough to remember 'Big John.' He was around Michigan in the mid '80's and was a pretty big boy and was supposed to be from Ann Arbor but I don't know if he really was. His looks reminded me of Xaviar Cougat. Anyway, he would walk into the pool hall and say, "I've never been beat at pool." or "I'm the best pool player around." And this is essentially what Fatty did as well. When John said this, you just wanted to prove him wrong. He got whatever action was there to be had by doing that. Its a very effective way to get action.

Big John never said that shit after we played the 1st time:). I believe he was from Ann Arbor, he always came in with Derrick. John is still the only player who ever insisted on playing 14.1 with object-ball fouls. I loved it. He fouled at least once or twice a game and I never did.

P.S. It's not an effective way to get action when you are the best.

Dennis

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
From
Ghosttown
Hey Lenny, remind or enlighten Scott that as one of the best alive in the game of one pocket billiards he has an OBLIGATION to protect and uphold the integrity of the game. Like it or not, Scott is in a leadership position.

IMO, it will speak very sadly of his character if he advocates reducing or debasing the game. Jump cues simply don't belong in one pocket.

Martin

Very well said Martin - I agree 100%.

- Ghost

jazznpool

Verified Member
From
Orange, CA
Very well said Martin - I agree 100%.

- Ghost

Thanks Ghost. Of course if you can do it with your playing cue, jump or masse to your hearts content.

Also, I'm thinking 8 ahead is too long a grind for the player who has the best chance of beating Scott even-up.

Martin

markgriffin

Verified Member
One Pocket and jumping

One Pocket and jumping

I also agree with Martin.

There will be NO jump cues at the US Open One Pocket - EVER!!!

BTW- I will get up some info on the event. It starts on July 17th. And ends on afternoon of the 20th.

Only 2 or 3 matches on the 20th - but it prevents playng until 3 am!

Matches are tentatively planned on starting at 10 am on the 17th - based on full field of 64.

Mark Griffin,
CSI
Markg@playcsipool.com