D. Orcollo vs. E. Strickland 2012 Tunica

John Brumback

Verified Member
This is not a good wwyd. As straight as this guy shoots he might go for the 6 back on his left. Bill E's shot might not be to bad as long as you didn't leave Earl S. a straightback on the 6.:eek::lol This is nasty and I don't know what in the hell I might do from here.I'm going to have study this somemore and maybe learn somethin.Where's Fred and Billy I.? I want to see what them two think.This could get interresting:D JB

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
I agree with wgcp, except why not call the 4 while you are at it -- it has at least half a pocket and you are sending it that way anyway, lol.

I don't see anything else workable

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
It's a horrible position to be in. If the 4ball was just a little further off of the rail I would cross is cross corner and bring the q ball to the end rail. I would call the shot too since it does have a possible chance of going. However, with the 4 so close to the rail and with the angle to it with the qball, there is a high risk of hitting it too thin and scratching in the corner. Or hitting it too full and kissing it and selling out to all the open shots down there. The hit is possible but it needs to be very exact.

With that difficult hit in mind I might instead shoot at the most dangerous ball on the table (the 6 ball) and remove it from its favorable position and play it straight back with follow english, making sure I hit it full enough and follow it enough to where I dont leave cross corners on the two balls by the long rail.

I would hit the straight back with enough speed to return it the foot spot area if I missed it short and try to get the cue ball at least up to the side pocket on the right side of the table ( "right" as you look at the shot) I still have those 2 balls on the long rail semi-protecting any cross corners that might be shot their way.

No matter what you do, the situation remains a difficult one.

Beard

Last edited:

John Brumback

Verified Member
Hey Fred

Hey Fred

I'm a little confused here.How are you going to play the two back? Do you somehow mean the 6ball ? I'm trying to think of a way to thin off the 6 but not leave the cross corner on the pink 4 but I don't see a very good way to do that either.Thanks,I'm tryin to see your shot. JB

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
I'm a little confused here.How are you going to play the two back? Do you somehow mean the 6ball ? I'm trying to think of a way to thin off the 6 but not leave the cross corner on the pink 4 but I don't see a very good way to do that either.Thanks,I'm tryin to see your shot. JB

Yeah, I'm pretty sure Freddy means the 6-ball -- the one on the foot spot. Sounds like he would bank it straight back, still hoping to come up relatively safe it he misses, based on the old premise of "when faced with a tough safety vs a tough shot, go for the shot" -- you might make the shot and if not, you might still come up safe enough that your opponent does not score afterwards.

JohnInNH

Verified Member
From
GOFFSTOWN, NH
I would play a safety by thinning the 6 into the two balls and bringing the cue ball back up table as close to the rail as possible by using top center on the cue ball.

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois

Yes, 6 ball not the 2 ball. Mistake.

Beard

ChrisBanks

Verified Member
From
Rochester, NY
I'd like to make about a quarter-ball hit on the 2-ball and return the cueball to the headrail.

I don't see a problem moving the 2 and the 8, the 8 is already laying easy for a cross-corner. If anything, by moving the 2 you may put it in the way of the 8 cross-corner.

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
It's a horrible position to be in. If the 4ball was just a little further off of the rail I would cross is cross corner and bring the q ball to the end rail. I would call the shot too since it does have a possible chance of going. However, with the 4 so close to the rail and with the angle to it with the qball, there is a high risk of hitting it too thin and scratching in the corner. Or hitting it too full and kissing it and selling out to all the open shots down there. The hit is possible but it needs to be very exact.

Beard

Egggggsssssactly:D.

CBD

wgcp

Verified Member
From
long beach, mississippi
Well as said in the past, sometimes you have to bear down and shoot the shot... relax, don't think about what will go wrong, think of all the positive that will happen when the 4 rolls in... forget everything else...

B

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.

With that difficult hit in mind I might instead shoot at the most dangerous ball on the table (the 6 ball) and remove it from its favorable position and play it straight back with follow english, making sure I hit it full enough and follow it enough to where I dont leave cross corners on the two balls by the long rail.

I would hit the straight back with enough speed to return it the foot spot area if I missed it short and try to get the cue ball at least up to the side pocket on the right side of the table ( "right" as you look at the shot) I still have those 2 balls on the long rail semi-protecting any cross corners that might be shot their way.

No matter what you do, the situation remains a difficult one.

Beard

There is a shot available that would work but must be hit accurately. Plus there may possibly be another shot if the shooter can see the outside of the 8ball. If the outside of the 8ball is available then thinning the 8ball and returning to the top end of the table would be my first choice. There's also a possibility that it could even work by thinning the 2ball. The other option would be to bank the 6ball to your right with a hard speed. The cue ball will deflect enough to stay away from the scratch and go three rails up table. There are two problems with this shot, but it's not hard to envision getting away from both problem areas. One of the two problems would be to scratch three rails in the top left corner. The other problem would be hitting the 8ball with the 6ball if the shot is struck poorly. Considering the situation, banking the 6ball in this fashion would Imo be worth taking the risk, providing the thinning of the 8ball is not available.

Dr. Bill

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
I'd like to make about a quarter-ball hit on the 2-ball and return the cueball to the headrail.

I don't see a problem moving the 2 and the 8, the 8 is already laying easy for a cross-corner. If anything, by moving the 2 you may put it in the way of the 8 cross-corner.

Very good Fish, you win a cookie:). This is also the only shot I saw available but he hit it a little light, easy to do off the headrail.

do's shot.jpg

He left Earl a shot or two here:

do's leave.jpg

John Brumback

Verified Member
I would have probably crossed the 4,but I think everyone would agree.. this was a bad spot to be in and you would just have to do what you felt the most comfortable doing.Pretty sure I would have tried to hit that 4 perfect and try to get perfect speed to land in the middle of the end rail and I think it had a good chance to go too. I said this wwyd wasn't any good:eek: But It was really good:lol Good work CBD!!:) CFB

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
Can't get nothin passed you:mad::lol JHB

I'd post something up but after tonight I'm working every night till after Christmas so it's not fair to put up a WWYD and make everyone wait for the resulting shot. I may change my mind and try to find time, you never know. I'm sure I can find something dumb you did playing Alex in Tunica:p:D.

Take care John.

Cowboy "only videotaped one time on a pooltable" Dennis

Last edited:

John Brumback

Verified Member
I'd post something up but after tonight I'm working every night till after Christmas so it's not fair to put up a WWYD and make everyone wait for the resulting shot. I may change my mind and try to find time, you never know. I'm sure I can find something dumb you did playing Alex in Tunica:p:D.

Take care John.

Cowboy "only videotaped one time on a pooltable" Dennis

Ok.
Have a good one.JB