New upcoming Beard book

SJDinPHX

Suspended
P.S. BTW,What is your memorabilia, a signed and dated empty YJ bottle! :lol :lol :lol

It might be...But I'll tell you what it WON'T be, it won't be a memo pad, from the Executive West, signed by Scott Frost saying ....
"Thanks Dick, for teaching me how to to play one pocket"...:rolleyes: (a thinly veiled comparison only. ;))

I don't know why I bother..I'm sure this also, will 'sail right over your head'..AGAIN !...:rolleyes: :p :p :p

Terry Ardeno

Verified Member
From
Washington, Pa
I been waiting for volume 3!!!

I been waiting for volume 3!!!

Please put me on the list of the peeps in pooldom eagerly awaiting your latest expose'!
Do you have any stories planned on Gary Spaeth or Larry Lisciotti?

Island Drive

Verified Member
From
florence, colorado
Here is a little snippet of my upcoming book, The Encyclopedia of Pool Hustlers. The hustlers will be cataloged alphabetically.

Bobby Riggs/Billy Jean King
Did he toss that match?
I got it from a near-unimpeachable source that the Bobby Riggs/Billy Jean King, celebrated Tennis match was a dump. I got it from a guy that used to keep Bobby Riggs broke; I won't give his name even though he's dead. His nickname was, "The Fat Man." He was a champion golf hustler. He was not the pool player/hustler, Minnesota Fats.
In the 60s, the lifetime proposition- hustler and con man, Bobby Riggs, had an interest in an unrelated business venture in Ft Lauderdale back then. I was hanging out at the Miscue Lounge in Ft. Lauderdale with pool and golf hustlers, and other assorted thieves that knew and associated with Bobby. That group included the Fat Man.
The Fat Man said Lamar Hunt paid Bobby off to toss the match. Lamar was the backer of the Women’s Tennis Association which took off like a rocket after Bobby lost. If anyone recalls, after Bobby beat Margaret Court the first female champion he played, there was absolutely no buzz about it, but when he lost to Billy Jean, it got world-wide attention, and women's tennis came to life. Before that match, the women were playing for a hot dog and a coke. I wouldn’t have snitched that off, as it is an absolute violation of the “Hustler’s Code,” except many years have gone by and most of the constituents are dead.

Beard

The book is months away from publication. Periodically I will drop a few more morsels to 1pkt.org.

I had similar feeling about Sigel playing Lori Jon Jones for the Trudeau Dough. I thought Sigel should of played Allison Fisher and lost. At that time he would of had his hands full anyway. It could also have been a Game Changer for pool simliar to the Color of Money, and the Hustler.

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
... Marvin played so badly, and Pancho had to miss so many balls in order to lose, and the match looked so bad; it is nothing short of a miracle that Pancho got out of there with his life. One of Specter's bodyguards was a very bad, ex-mob guy from New York who had spent plenty of time in pool rooms. Beard

That may have been a guy named George. Can't think of his last name. If it's the guy I knew of, we used to see him down at Mr. Pockets on 6th St. in L.A. He both chauffeured and bodyguarded Specter. He was a scary looking SOB, but wasn't too nasty to people he liked. He used a 36 ounce cue!:eek: Yet he had a light touch with it, and said he even used it for snooker!

Doc

BUD GREEN

Verified Member
Unless you plan on putting the golf hustling stories in your book, which I will of course buy like the first two, can you post a few more stories of the golf hustlers you knew?

For those who like gambling stories, read the section in Rick Reilly's "Who's Your Caddy?" book about how high they bet in Vegas. One story talks about a poker player bringing 400k in cash and waving it to his opponents saying "You ready to bet this much?". He later says " That always putts a tremble in their stroke"

Titanic Thompson was also a fantastic golfer for the dough.

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
That may have been a guy named George. Can't think of his last name. If it's the guy I knew of, we used to see him down at Mr. Pockets on 6th St. in L.A. He both chauffeured and bodyguarded Specter. He was a scary looking SOB, but wasn't too nasty to people he liked. He used a 36 ounce cue!:eek: Yet he had a light touch with it, and said he even used it for snooker!

Doc

That has to be the guy. He played a little and staked a little at Ye Billiard Den.

Beard

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
Unless you plan on putting the golf hustling stories in your book, which I will of course buy like the first two, can you post a few more stories of the golf hustlers you knew?

For those who like gambling stories, read the section in Rick Reilly's "Who's Your Caddy?" book about how high they bet in Vegas. One story talks about a poker player bringing 400k in cash and waving it to his opponents saying "You ready to bet this much?". He later says " That always putts a tremble in their stroke"

Titanic Thompson was also a fantastic golfer for the dough.

Sorry Bud, I dont have many golf stories. Those golf hustlers that hung out at the Miscue Lounge in Lauderdale, along with the Fat Man, made their headquarters at the Plantation Golf Course. They used to like to travel with Sugar Shack and me when we were out hustling the bars. They loved to see people getting beat so much that they would pay for all the drinks and expenses, and didnt want any cut of the money Sugar and I would win.

Beard

Island Drive

Verified Member
From
florence, colorado
Sorry Bud, I dont have many golf stories. Those golf hustlers that hung out at the Miscue Lounge in Lauderdale, along with the Fat Man, made their headquarters at the Plantation Golf Course. They used to like to travel with Sugar Shack and me when we were out hustling the bars. They loved to see people getting beat so much that they would pay for all the drinks and expenses, and didnt want any cut of the money Sugar and I would win.

Beard

During your time down there, did anyone sneak up on ya? FL had some interesting characters back in the Jr Golf/Tampa and Congress days near Opalaka?

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
During your time down there, did anyone sneak up on ya? FL had some interesting characters back in the Jr Golf/Tampa and Congress days near Opalaka?

I was not easy to trap. I usually played everybody anyway. Those that I didnt know and was suspicious about I made them play bank pool, so it didnt much matter who they were. I knew all the guys that could beat me playing banks.

The only guy who almost trapped me was Jack Cooney. At the Congress Bowl, h
He laid it down great and I was definitely going to go for it. Unfortunately for him he went to the bathroom and a stinkin' sweater snitched him off. Even tho he saved me I still cursed the knocker out.

Beard

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
I never really knew any good golf hustlers. But it always seemed to me that, since there's probably more cheating in golf than in any other sport, how would one protect against your opponent's cheating?:confused: I knew a lot of guys who would cheat on their handicaps so that they would have a better chance in club tournaments.

I played with a golf gambler one time who told us that he made one stipulation beyond the normal rules: that his opponent could not touch his ball until he lifted it out of the cup on the green. I thought that was pretty smart.;)

Doc

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
Post moved to where it belongs

Post moved to where it belongs

Originally Posted by stevelomako
In Detroit, the standard rule if you were caught playing partners or cheating at cards was...you sat out a game or a hand.

Why kick someone out for good and ruin the game forever?
stevelomako

(Al Sherman will be a definite addition to the new book.)
Al Sherman
I used to watch Al Sherman playing Greek Rummy at the Rack in the card room. About every half hour they would have to pick up the cards that were on the floor by Sherman's foot, in order to have enough cards to make the next deal. Sherman was good friends with Harry Oliver. (Only Secret Society members like Cardone, Billy Smith, and probably Androd can translate that). I would be surprised if Lomaka didnt also know who Harry was.

Beard

(This story is also slated for the upcoming book:)

My experiences with Sherman weren’t all bad. Once I got one of Al’s pet suckers down playing two- handed pinochle. He was a multi-millionaire but he would only wanted to start off playing for 25 cents a hand! I went for it because I had heard the guy would keep doubling up if he got loser. When the sucker took a bathroom break, Al sidled up to me and said he was going to be my partner in the game. He explained that the sucker liked to play with his own pinochle cards that he kept in the glove box in his car. He also explained that his man had already gotten into the mark’s car and replaced all the decks with marked cards. The marks were big and easy to read, but not for the mark who was old and had glasses with ¼ inch lenses. We progressed from 25 cents a hand to hundreds of dollars a hand, and the guy eventually went for about $4500.
Al was so cold-blooded that he even went to the hospital to rob the guy playing cards while the guy was on his death bed. Al really mourned his death.

Beard

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
Another drizzle. Out of the mouth of Billy Incardona and headed to the book:

“Jimmy Reid was the best Ten- ball player that I ever played. We played twice during 1972 and 1973. Our longest and most memorable session was in 1972 in Johnston City, where we played for thirty six hours. Early in the match he was a little weak, maybe because of my rep as being the best player around at the time. But unfortunately, he got a few timely rolls at crucial times, which he hungrily fed off of, and behind that his speed continued to rise to a level that I had never seen before -- or after -- for anyone to play that well. There was a ten hour span where he didn't miss one ball, not one ball; and it was during that span that he broke me down.
I remember I was leaning against the wall while he was shooting, waiting for my turn at the table -- which wasn't often-- when he finally missed a ball. I was still over by the the wall, kinda staring in disbelief, when he backed up against the wall next to me and said, "I never play good when I take these ****in’ green and whites.* (Barbiturates, commonly called , “Christmas trees”) I wanted to slug him when he said that, but I respected his game too much to do it.

We played about six months later in Detroit, only a four hour session. One in which I came out ahead this time. But Jimmy Reid, when he was right, had a higher top speed than anyone that I have ever played, or have seen play. The only problem for him was that his mixture had to be right, and we all should know by now that mixtures are sometimes hard to get right. He could flat out play though, and he really knew the game and the cue ball.”

Beard

Another drizzle. Out of the mouth of Billy Incardona and headed to the book:

“Jimmy Reid was the best Ten- ball player that I ever played. We played twice during 1972 and 1973. Our longest and most memorable session was in 1972 in Johnston City, where we played for thirty six hours. Early in the match he was a little weak, maybe because of my rep as being the best player around at the time. But unfortunately, he got a few timely rolls at crucial times, which he hungrily fed off of, and behind that his speed continued to rise to a level that I had never seen before -- or after -- for anyone to play that well. There was a ten hour span where he didn't miss one ball, not one ball; and it was during that span that he broke me down.
I remember I was leaning against the wall while he was shooting, waiting for my turn at the table -- which wasn't often-- when he finally missed a ball. I was still over by the the wall, kinda staring in disbelief, when he backed up against the wall next to me and said, "I never play good when I take these ****in’ green and whites.* (Barbiturates, commonly called , “Christmas trees”) I wanted to slug him when he said that, but I respected his game too much to do it.

We played about six months later in Detroit, only a four hour session. One in which I came out ahead this time. But Jimmy Reid, when he was right, had a higher top speed than anyone that I have ever played, or have seen play. The only problem for him was that his mixture had to be right, and we all should know by now that mixtures are sometimes hard to get right. He could flat out play though, and he really knew the game and the cue ball.”

Beard

Billy, such a sincere and accurate statement about Jimmy.

Made me cry.

Freddy, I already know that I'll receive a signed first edition, like I have with all of your other books and products. Thanks for the respect.

xo,
Clare

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
Billy, such a sincere and accurate statement about Jimmy.

Made me cry.

Freddy, I already know that I'll receive a signed first edition, like I have with all of your other books and products. Thanks for the respect.

xo,
Clare

clare even if you care to be anonymous you must have some stories freddy could use...:D
just sayin:rolleyes:

clare even if you care to be anonymous you must have some stories freddy could use...:D
just sayin:rolleyes:

Larry, I have plenty of stories...and pictures, too, but I don't plan on making any donations. :)

Clare