Assassino!

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
Just got back from Truman's bank tourn. Drove down with retired Master Player, George Pawelski, of Racine, Wis. Ended up , naturally, drawing him in the tourn and naturally, he beat me. He played very good in the tourn for a guy that hasnt played virtually zero pool for 16 years.

When we arrived at Michael's, Chris Gentile aka, "Assassino," (I have deigned to nickname him something befitting his Italian heritage), Incardona and Little Stevie the Greek followed us in soon after. Chris put his cue together and immediately got down with Gabe Owen. He had just finished driving 300 miles and didnt even bother to warm up he just got down for 10k. Gabe was playing him 8 to 7. They were playing on a 4 inch pocket Diamond table with slow cloth. Six ahead. It took about 2 hrs for Chris to win it. They renegotiated to 8 to 7 every other game and Gabe put together another 8k or so. That didnt take long either.

In the first set Chris ran an amazing 7 and out that probably broke Gabe's heart.

A day later Tony "Banks" Coleman wandered into the Assassino's path and played 8 ahead bank pool for 5k getting spotted 6 to 5 with an eleven ball rack. That was a slaughter reminiscent of the baptism scene in Godfather 1. 8 ahead took about an hour and a half.

The kid is a freakazoid.

Beard

usblues

Verified Member
From
St Paul,Mn
Wasnt....

Wasnt....

....George your partner on that 80's team along with 2 other guys whos names Ive forgotten?Gabe beats him at 9ball ya?Was the cloth 860?Was it humid in there or what?Tony sure walked into that one didnt he?He peaked about 20 years ago,whats the story there?Was he shall I say"tripping"?Your stories are still the best Freddie. Get some sleep champ,cheers,James

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
Team championship

Team championship

....George your partner on that 80's team along with 2 other guys whos names Ive forgotten?Gabe beats him at 9ball ya?Was the cloth 860?Was it humid in there or what?Tony sure walked into that one didnt he?He peaked about 20 years ago,whats the story there?Was he shall I say"tripping"?Your stories are still the best Freddie. Get some sleep champ,cheers,James

George was on the team with me when we won the National Bar League Championship up in Milwaukee. My other two teammates were Artie Bodendorfer and John Abruzzo. Monster lineup.

Chris's worst game is 9 Ball. He no play. New cloth, nice, probably 860. Not humid. Tony was in the shape he stays in when attending tournaments. Enhanced to say the least.

Beard

Ken_4fun

Verified Member
Wow.

Seems like Gabe needs to work on his negotiation skills more than his one pocket game.

I wonder how it would have turned out if they played even....:rolleyes:

Ken

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
Eleven ball rack

Eleven ball rack

Freddy,

What was the point of the 11 ball rack:confused:?

Dennis

It is a good way to play banks. A little less balls than full rack, but 2 more than 9 ball rack. First one to six wins. Playing 6 to 5 means there will be two balls left at the end with both players in the one hole. Just like when you play someone 8 to 7.
A big plus to the game is the eleven ball rack that is much easier to make a ball on than a 10 ball rack. Good game, faster than full rack, slower than 9 ball rack. I've been promoting it myself.

Beard

I call Chris, Assassino (Assassin), because of the cold blooded way he dispatches his victims.

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
It is a good way to play banks. A little less balls than full rack, but 2 more than 9 ball rack. First one to six wins. Playing 6 to 5 means there will be two balls left at the end with both players in the one hole. Just like when you play someone 8 to 7.
A big plus to the game is the eleven ball rack that is much easier to make a ball on than a 10 ball rack. Good game, faster than full rack, slower than 9 ball rack. I've been promoting it myself.

Beard

I call Chris, Assassino (Assassin), because of the cold blooded way he dispatches his victims.
I believe what Dennis was referring to when he said he was confused as to why the 11 ball rack,

he meant that when playing a game where you were playing someone 6 to 5 all that's needed is a 10 ball rack, why 11 balls?
If that's the reason he was confused it's understandable. If so let me explain why they played with an 11 ball rack. By playing with an 11 ball rack as opposed to a 10 ball rack the player giving up the spot has a better chance to overcome the deficit with the extra ball on the table. The extra ball is to the advantage of the player giving up the spot by offering more options for the spotter in terms of both playing safes, and running balls.

Understanding, and playing the percentages, is my life.

Dr. Bill

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
I believe what Dennis was referring to when he said he was confused as to why the 11 ball rack,

he meant that when playing a game where you were playing someone 6 to 5 all that's needed is a 10 ball rack, why 11 balls?
If that's the reason he was confused it's understandable. If so let me explain why they played with an 11 ball rack. By playing with an 11 ball rack as opposed to a 10 ball rack the player giving up the spot has a better chance to overcome the deficit with the extra ball on the table. The extra ball is to the advantage of the player giving up the spot by offering more options for the spotter in terms of both playing safes, and running balls.

Dr. Bill

No need to point out the obvious Bill, the merely obvious will suffice.

P.S. If it goes 5-4 the player going to 6 also has to protect against two balls now instead of one. Much tougher to do in Banks than one-pocket giving less advantage.

RBL

mojoe

I'm pretty certain that Gabe would not have liked it playing Gentile even 1P either.. JMHO

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
No need to point out the obvious Bill, the merely obvious will suffice.

P.S. If it goes 5-4 the player going to 6 also has to protect against two balls now instead of one. Much tougher to do in Banks than one-pocket giving less advantage.

RBL

Don't understand your post, once again. What is the obvious, and what is merely the obvious?:confused:

Aren't you pointing out the obvious when you say that when the score gets to 5 to 4 both players have to defend against the extra ball? And your point is what? :rolleyes:

I have two questions for you since you seem interested in my summation, when I say the extra ball favors the better player who is giving up the spot. Do you think the player getting spotted is a favorite to get to 4 balls in the game? Do you also think that when the weaker player gets to 4 balls that the extra ball will benefit the player giving the spot? If you answered yes to both questions then it should be understood that the extra ball favors the better player.

Your statement about both players having to defend against the extra ball when the score is 5 to 4 is true, but isn't that obvious? But who is better equipped to defend against the extra ball when both players are on the hill? I say the better player is.

Dr. Bill

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
....this ones for you being a DR.What are the odds of a 5-5 ending playing 10 ball banks?Im guessing 5.6% of the time.I require an answer as I have a vested interest with a beached whale which is rare on my boulevard.No hurry and TIA,James

Providing that both players are evenly matched, the ending score of 5-5 is a favorite over any other stated score, but not a favorite over all other scores.:D

About that beached whale, i'll defer to Dennis for that answer.

Dr. Bill

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
Don't understand your post, once again. What is the obvious, and what is merely the obvious?:confused:You just keep thinking Bill, that's what you're good at.:)

Aren't you pointing out the obvious when you say that when the score gets to 5 to 4 both players have to defend against the extra ball? And your point is what? :rolleyes:I didn't say both players had to defend against the extra ball although they do.

I said:
Cowboy Dennis said:
"P.S. If it goes 5-4 the player going to 6 also has to protect against two balls now instead of one. Much tougher to do in Banks than one-pocket giving less advantage.

I have two questions for you since you seem interested in my summation,Trust me Bill, I am supremely disinterested in your summation, I thought Freddy answered my question just fine. when I say the extra ball favors the better player who is giving up the spot. Do you think the player getting spotted is a favorite to get to 4 balls in the game? Do you also think that when the weaker player gets to 4 balls that the extra ball will benefit the player giving the spot? If you answered yes to both questions then it should be understood that the extra ball favors the better player.I never said the extra ball didn't favor the better player.

Your statement about both players having to defend against the extra ball when the score is 5 to 4 is true, but isn't that obvious?Again, that's not what I wrote. But who is better equipped to defend against the extra ball when both players are on the hill? I say the better player is.The better player is probably better at making banks, playing safeties in Banks in nowhere near as difficult as in one-pocket so his advantage is less when playing safe.

Dr. Bill

Dear Efren's Jockstrap Breath,

Once again I must take you by the hand and spoonfeed you everything I wrote until you understand it. I do have 3 days off work though so we may get it done by saturday morning.

First off, I thought Freddy answered my question just fine but since you've expounded & expanded on his answer, since you thought I may have been confused:confused:, let me say this:

In Freddy's post he mentioned that the 6-5 spot in an 11 ball rack playing banks was somewhat similar (my words) to the endgame of an 8-7 one-pocket game when both players are on the hill insofar as both players would need one ball in either game if both were on the hill, and two balls on the table. Of course I assumed Freddy was referring to one-pocket even though he didn't write it. Actually Freddy said:
fred bentivegna said:

You said:

wincardona said:

Dr. Bill

Now here comes the really confusing part for you, actually accepting that somebody besides you knows anything about anything I wrote (again):

Cowboy Dennis said:

My point dear Bill is that the 6-5 game playing banks with an 11 ball rack and both players needing one ball is much less of an advantage for the better player than in an 8-7 one-pocket game when both players are on the hill.

You also seem to be saying that the weaker player is not too bright for letting the better player give him 6-5 but using an 11 ball rack, thus negating, to a degree, the spot. You need to ask yourself a question, "why would the player getting the weight agree to an 11 ball rack". He's probably not a moron so I guess he knows what he's doing.

Just so you don't get confused with my long-winded explanation (I know you'll cry "old age" again), here's my point:

Both players on the hill in a 6-5 bank game with an 11 ball rack is much less weight (relatively speaking) than both players on the hill in an 8-7 one-pocket game. You seem to equate it with something more than just a marginal difference. I don't.

Why don't you tell all of your loyal fans why that's true? I'm just waiting to hear it. No fair calling Freddy or Catfishbreath:D

P.S. Of course, I could be full of shit. Wouldn't be the first time and won't be the last. Apparently nobody all day had an opinion on it. Maybe they're waiting for your guidance.

Dennis

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
Dear Efren's Jockstrap Breath,

Once again I must take you by the hand and spoonfeed you everything I wrote until you understand it. I do have 3 days off work though so we may get it done by saturday morning.

First off, I thought Freddy answered my question just fine but since you've expounded & expanded on his answer, since you thought I may have been confused:confused:, let me say this: Actually yes I thought you were confused when you said why the 11 ball rack. I thought that someone as bright as you could figure that an 11 ball rack would be a better way for two players playing a game where one player needed 6 and the other player went to 5. But with that spot a 10 ball rack would of sufficed. That's where I thought you were confused, but I gave you too much credit.

In Freddy's post he mentioned that the 6-5 spot in an 11 ball rack playing banks was somewhat similar (my words) to the endgame of an 8-7 one-pocket game when both players are on the hill insofar as both players would need one ball in either game if both were on the hill, and two balls on the table. Of course I assumed Freddy was referring to one-pocket even though he didn't write it. Actually Freddy said: So it's ok if you assume something because you're the bright one

You said:

Now here comes the really confusing part for you, actually accepting that somebody besides you knows anything about anything I wrote (again):

My point dear Bill is that the 6-5 game playing banks with an 11 ball rack and both players needing one ball is much less of an advantage for the better player than in an 8-7 one-pocket game when both players are on the hill. Once again you're the only one talking about one pocket.

You also seem to be saying that the weaker player is not too bright for letting the better player give him 6-5 but using an 11 ball rack, thus negating, to a degree, the spot. There you go again assuming that that's what I was thinking. You need to ask yourself a question, "why would the player getting the weight agree to an 11 ball rack". He's probably not a moron so I guess he knows what he's doing. Again you're assuming. But he did lose so you could be wrong. oops not you.

Just so you don't get confused with my long-winded explanation (I know you'll cry "old age" again), here's my point:

Both players on the hill in a 6-5 bank game with an 11 ball rack is much less weight (relatively speaking) than both players on the hill in an 8-7 one-pocket game. You seem to equate it with something more than just a marginal difference. I don't. Well what do you know you're once again implying what I think without me saying what you implied.

Why don't you tell all of your loyal fans why that's true? I'm just waiting to hear it. No fair calling Freddy or Catfishbreath:D Believe it or not I happen to know much much more than you about all pool games and handicaps. but of course you wouldn't think I do.

P.S. Of course, I could be full of shit. Wouldn't be the first time and won't be the last. Apparently nobody all day had an opinion on it. Maybe they're waiting for your guidance.

Dennis
Dennis, seems to me you're the only person that put one pocket into the debate, why would you think I or any one else was talking about banks and one pocket? Isn't this the bank pool forum?

You seem to get off on insulting people, must be a reason why you resort to that type of behavior. We all know that you're the brightest person on the forum, sorry I couldn't help you.

Dr. Bill

stevelomako

Verified Member
From
Detroit, MI
Dennis, seems to me you're the only person that put one pocket into the debate, why would you think I or any one else was talking about banks and one pocket? Isn't this the bank pool forum?

You seem to get off on insulting people, must be a reason why you resort to that type of behavior. We all know that you're the brightest person on the forum, sorry I couldn't help you.

Dr. Bill

LOL. I was just talking to Teddy tonite about the phone call you made to him a couple of years ago. LOL

People just don't believe me and do you really think that baseball story was meant in jest or being an asshole to you?

By the way...is Chris Gentile a real man for letting others take a piece of his action? Real men don't do that you know. Real men bet their own.

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
Jk, jk

Jk, jk

LOL. I was just talking to Teddy tonite about the phone call you made to him a couple of years ago. LOL

People just don't believe me and do you really think that baseball story was meant in jest or being an asshole to you?

By the way...is Chris Gentile a real man for letting others take a piece of his action? Real men don't do that you know. Real men bet their own.

Steve, some people might not realized that you are being facetious with the Real Men thing. Most everybody knows that Chris needs zero help with making a bet. He lets guys like Cardone and little Stevie the Greek have a piece as a favor for their sweating interests. I have the best position of all. I dont even have to put up. I am on the "Jelly" list. Consideration for my years of support, suggestions and excellent sweat.

Beard

usblues

Verified Member
From
St Paul,Mn
That...

That...

....will teach me to ask rhetorical questions which have no meaning in reality.I thank you for your time Doc,cheers,B

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan

Dr. Bill

Bill,

I compared it to one-pocket because I wanted to. The only insulting in this thread was done first by you. I asked Freddy a question and he answered it but apparently not to your satisfaction. You figured I was confused and maybe Freddy's answer would still leave me confused. That's insulting.

Freddy's answer made sense to me, yours was unneeded. My point is that you seem to think it's a large advantage (for the better player) if the game goes 5-4 in an 11 ball rack.

Also, if it is a large advantage then the guy going to 5 wasn't too bright for playing with 11 balls. Those are my points.

Dennis

stevelomako

Verified Member
From
Detroit, MI
Steve, some people might not realized that you are being facetious with the Real Men thing. Most everybody knows that Chris needs zero help with making a bet. He lets guys like Cardone and little Stevie the Greek have a piece as a favor for their sweating interests. I have the best position of all. I dont even have to put up. I am on the "Jelly" list. Consideration for my years of support, suggestions and excellent sweat.

Beard

I know Freddy, I forgot to add the smiley face.

Chris is an awesome kid. He does everything well. Hell, he even has a clone playing 9-ball for him down in FLA.

Old school thru and thru. You guys should be happy how he turned out, if you had a few more like him we could unleash them all in Manila. I know what side my moneys going on. :)