Corey Deuel vs. Johnny Stone 2009 D.C.C.#2

Banks

Verified Member
From
Portland, OR
He got down on the 6 cross-corner and lined it up with center or even a touch of left. He must not have liked the idea of hitting the stack because he got back down on it to swing the rock 2 rails uptable. He didn't like that shot too much either, after 15 practice strokes he finally shot it, missed it and almost scratched in the corner (he hit the tit).

View attachment 4691

I get a cookie this time? :D

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
I think the shot is to roll the 6 ball cross corner, leaving it in the pocket if you miss and playing position on the ball on the rail for the same pocket.

Give yourself a chance to win!

Bill S.

Yeah, that was the shot I liked. Why not just roll the CB up the table and hit the 6 ball pocket speed.? Why I'm not a bank player I guess.:eek:
Rod

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
Cookie?

Cookie?

I get a cookie this time? :D

You want a cookie for the wrong shot?

Beard

I am still waiting for people to inject a thinking process to some of their shot picks. ie.,The all around logic around their choice --- as I, fortunately for y'all, provide. Smart guys should pay attn and forget about me being 71 and over the hill -- physically. When i could play, nobody out moved me in this game.

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
Why?

Why?

Yeah, that was the shot I liked. Why not just roll the CB up the table and hit the 6 ball pocket speed.? Why I'm not a bank player I guess.:eek:
Rod

Why? Because you dont win. You are stopping yourself at four at a time when opportunity is just laying there for you. I could go for the 6 cross corner with speed straight down and returning to the stack for a another shot. But the balls are relatively jammed together and you might not get a good shot. I could live with that choice if someone preferred that type bank to the 9ball type.

Beard
As aggressive as you are in one pocket, when you see out I cant envision you opting to stop at 7.

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
Why? Because you dont win. You are stopping yourself at four at a time when opportunity is just laying there for you. I could go for the 6 cross corner with speed straight down and returning to the stack for a another shot. But the balls are relatively jammed together and you might not get a good shot. I could live with that choice if someone preferred that type bank to the 9ball type.

Beard
As aggressive as you are in one pocket, when you see out I cant envision you opting to stop at 7.

Well I thought pocket speed I might end around the middle of the table and have a shot at the 2 ball if the 6 ball didn't hang there. Anyway it'd be more aggressive than what he shot. :)
Rod.

Banks

Verified Member
From
Portland, OR
You want a cookie for the wrong shot?

Beard

I am still waiting for people to inject a thinking process to some of their shot picks. ie.,The all around logic around their choice --- as I, fortunately for y'all, provide. Smart guys should pay attn and forget about me being 71 and over the hill -- physically. When i could play, nobody out moved me in this game.

No, I want a cookie for a good move!

If the 6 is made, then he's up 4-0 with a chance to put Corey in a bind with 5 balls locked up. If it's not made, chances are he doesn't have much to begin with and has to work hard to get more.

Granted, the immense pressure isn't there for Corey to bank out with 5 open shots, but he'll also have nothing and a long shot from the end of the table - something oughta open up, especially with the choices he appears to have been making in this match.

That's my figuring on this layout anyhow..

And if you think I'm not paying any attention, I put to use the strategy of putting multiple balls into play when ahead by a bit and it worked pretty well(and I thanked you and others for that help a couple months ago, too!). While I'm not a high-caliber player, I'll do what's most comfortable for me with the highest chance of success. In this case, I'd personally be more at home playing the two-way and forcing him to take flyers or non-shots.

Ok, gotta clock out and go get my 9' time in.. :eek:

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
Not locked up.

Not locked up.

No, I want a cookie for a good move!

If the 6 is made, then he's up 4-0 with a chance to put Corey in a bind with 5 balls locked up. If it's not made, chances are he doesn't have much to begin with and has to work hard to get more.

Granted, the immense pressure isn't there for Corey to bank out with 5 open shots, but he'll also have nothing and a long shot from the end of the table - something oughta open up, especially with the choices he appears to have been making in this match.

That's my figuring on this layout anyhow..

And if you think I'm not paying any attention, I put to use the strategy of putting multiple balls into play when ahead by a bit and it worked pretty well(and I thanked you and others for that help a couple months ago, too!). While I'm not a high-caliber player, I'll do what's most comfortable for me with the highest chance of success. In this case, I'd personally be more at home playing the two-way and forcing him to take flyers or non-shots.

Ok, gotta clock out and go get my 9' time in.. :eek:

To start with, bunting the six in and starting a moving process aint as strong as you think. First off the balls are not locked up! They are in a line in the middle of the foot of the table. There are no blocked pockets. All it takes is to jostle the stack and all the balls can become available. Balls locked up is when they are hanging in pockets and close to or frozen to the foot rail.

Bottom line is that it is nice to be ahead 4 to 0 going to 5, but it is much nicer to be out. In case you think that 4 zip in 9 ball banks with all the balls available and no pockets blocked is some kind of insurmountable lead, you are wrong.

Beard

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
To start with, bunting the six in and starting a moving process aint as strong as you think. First off the balls are not locked up! They are in a line in the middle of the foot of the table. There are no blocked pockets. All it takes is to jostle the stack and all the balls can become available. Balls locked up is when they are hanging in pockets and close to or frozen to the foot rail.

Bottom line is that it is nice to be ahead 4 to 0 going to 5, but it is much nicer to be out. In case you think that 4 zip in 9 ball banks with all the balls available and no pockets blocked is some kind of insurmountable lead, you are wrong.

Beard

Freddy,

If I was down 3-0 I would shoot the 9 ball without thinking twice about it, being up 3-0 it's the only ball on the table I wouldn't shoot. Only reason being the cueball hitting the 7,3, and 8. For my cash I'd probably shoot the 6 cross-corner with a firm stroke and swing the rock two rails. I'd take what came from there but the 6 would not roll off.

For a safe bank I still don't see anthing terribly wrong with the 8 cross-corner but I'd never shoot that shot myself.

CBD's Shot1.jpg

CBD's Shot2.jpg

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
Last thought

Last thought

Freddy,

If I was down 3-0 I would shoot the 9 ball without thinking twice about it, being up 3-0 it's the only ball on the table I wouldn't shoot. Only reason being the cueball hitting the 7,3, and 8. For my cash I'd probably shoot the 6 cross-corner with a firm stroke and swing the rock two rails. I'd take what came from there but the 6 would not roll off.

For a safe bank I still don't see anthing terribly wrong with the 8 cross-corner but I'd never shoot that shot myself.

View attachment 4694

View attachment 4695

You guys are thinking like one pocket players. You are forgetting that in bank pool you cannot protect yourself as well as you can in one pocket. In bank pool your opponent almost always has a shot, 2 rails, 4 rails, etc. In one pocket you can position the balls where your opponent has no shot. That makes sitting in the one hole much more comfortable. That is why you must NOT sit in the one hole if you can help it.

If I was dumping I wouldnt shoot the 8 ball cross corner, playing for one only with 3 zip lead. You have got 4 other winning shots, some better than others. Bunt the 6 cross corner and play the 2 cross corner for out. (my very last choice, besides the 8 cross corner), hit the 6 with speed and come back up table to try and get out with an easy cross side or cross corner. 8 ball cross side and return up table for out, or my particular choice because of the minimum movement of the cue ball, 9 cross corner for the win.

Beard

KSager

From
Pataskala, OH
shot

shot

To me the eight being on the spot makes it a very high percentage shot for me to make. I know that shot. Hit it with about a tip of high inside cross side and the cueball ends up down around the two for me to choose which ball to get out on from there. With three in the bag and the eight sitting there I am looking at getting a five and out with this. That ball is sitting too good to pass up in my thinking.

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
Like I said....

Like I said....

To me the eight being on the spot makes it a very high percentage shot for me to make. I know that shot. Hit it with about a tip of high inside cross side and the cueball ends up down around the two for me to choose which ball to get out on from there. With three in the bag and the eight sitting there I am looking at getting a five and out with this. That ball is sitting too good to pass up in my thinking.

..There is nothing wrong with the 8 as long as you come back up table and try to get all the way out. Anyone afraid of the 8 cross side dont belong in a bank pool game.

Beard