One Pocket Action Now for $1000 - San Jose Dick vs Preacher Ronn

SJDinPHX

Suspended
I only saw about 15 minutes of the first game. How did this turn out.

Not good Frank...About five years ago, I used to play him or Gus, giving up 9/7...Hows that for a turn-around ?..It has convinced me I need to hang it up for good... Ronn could not play bad enough to force me to win a game.

PS..Larry, tried to return your PM...PM will not send ????...PM me your phone number. ( you are correct, no offense taken))

Last edited:

grimel

Verified Member
Not good Frank...Just a few years ago, I used to play him or Gus, giving up 9/7...It has convinced me I need to hang it up for good.

Oh, please! I watched some of it. What you NEED to do is shorten the races. You old coggers seem to forget you need to sleep more than the rest of us. You were doing pretty well at first AFTER you had been commenting on the tournament for some time. You were worn out. Preacher Ronn took advantage of an old timer forgetting he was an old timer.

Cary

Verified Member
From
Bertram, Texas
Not good Frank...About five years ago, I used to play him or Gus, giving up 9/7...Hows that for a turn-around ?..It has convinced me I need to hang it up for good... Ronn could not play bad enough to force me to win a game.

PS..Larry, tried to return your PM...PM will not send ????...PM me your phone number. ( you are correct, no offense taken))

What you need to do is get on a table more than once a year. Nobody can lay off a year, pick up their cue & play well. I think Stroud has the right idea for geezers (esp. including me) in that quality practice is a necessity. Unfortunately, I lack the discipline to really practice and not just knock the balls around. The fact that he has the mental discipline to spend time in quality practice is a pretty good indicator of why he made (makes?) such highly regarded cues.

If we could just do something about his ego.....

jrhendy

Verified Member
From
Placerville, CA
What you need to do is get on a table more than once a year. Nobody can lay off a year, pick up their cue & play well. I think Stroud has the right idea for geezers (esp. including me) in that quality practice is a necessity. Unfortunately, I lack the discipline to really practice and not just knock the balls around. The fact that he has the mental discipline to spend time in quality practice is a pretty good indicator of why he made (makes?) such highly regarded cues.

If we could just do something about his ego.....

The pursuit for perfection must be what drives him and I agree about the cues.

I can practice for 2/3 hours a couple times a week and then I am just banging balls unless I get in a tournament ar gamble.

When I go to The Derby or another multiple day tournament, I am totally immersed in pool and if I am not playing I am watching. IMO this moves my game up quite a bit during that time.

Cary

Verified Member
From
Bertram, Texas
The pursuit for perfection must be what drives him and I agree about the cues.

I can practice for 2/3 hours a couple times a week and then I am just banging balls unless I get in a tournament ar gamble.

When I go to The Derby or another multiple day tournament, I am totally immersed in pool and if I am not playing I am watching. IMO this moves my game up quite a bit during that time.

I can focus for about an hour a day before I start playing myself 14.1, then lose focus at that after the second or third rack. When I was younger, I played for fun or money and practised with the same extreme intensity. I wouldn't let my sons, wife or grandmother win a game much less a competitive "player". Now? Well, I require a little more motivation. My grandkids beat me with astounding regularity.

jrhendy

Verified Member
From
Placerville, CA
Oh, please! I watched some of it. What you NEED to do is shorten the races. You old coggers seem to forget you need to sleep more than the rest of us. You were doing pretty well at first AFTER you had been commenting on the tournament for some time. You were worn out. Preacher Ronn took advantage of an old timer forgetting he was an old timer.

We don't want to remember we are old-timers LOL, that is why we do it.

Two years ago I played Artie a 14 1/2 hour session. I was dead tired for two days after we quit, mentally and physically. Today I can go about half that long before I start falling apart. It is the mental part of my game that goes first in a long session.

I might last longer if I could match up with the nuts but that never seems to happen.

jrhendy

Verified Member
From
Placerville, CA
Father time

Father time

We just cannot get away from father time.

At some point we all turn into the kind of guys we used to go looking for.

Cary

Verified Member
From
Bertram, Texas
<CENTER>[FONT=arial, helvetica][/FONT]
[FONT=arial, helvetica]
</CENTER>

DO NOT GO GENTLE INTO

THAT GOOD NIGHT

[/FONT][FONT=arial, helvetica]Do not go gentle into that good night, [/FONT]
[FONT=arial, helvetica]Old age should burn and rage at close of day; [/FONT]
[FONT=arial, helvetica]Rage, rage against the dying of the light. [/FONT]
[FONT=arial, helvetica]Though wise men at their end know dark is right, [/FONT]
[FONT=arial, helvetica]Because their words had forked no lightning they [/FONT]
[FONT=arial, helvetica]Do not go gentle into that good night. [/FONT]
[FONT=arial, helvetica]Good men, the last wave by, crying how bright [/FONT]
[FONT=arial, helvetica]Their frail deeds might have danced in a green bay, [/FONT]
[FONT=arial, helvetica]Rage, rage against the dying of the light. [/FONT]
[FONT=arial, helvetica]Wild men who caught and sang the sun in flight, [/FONT]
[FONT=arial, helvetica]And learn, too late, they grieved it on its way, [/FONT]
[FONT=arial, helvetica]Grave men, near death, who see with blinding sight [/FONT]
[FONT=arial, helvetica]Blind eyes could blaze like meteors and be gay, [/FONT]
[FONT=arial, helvetica]Rage, rage against the dying of the light. [/FONT][FONT=arial, helvetica]And you, my father, there on the sad height, [/FONT]
[FONT=arial, helvetica]Curse, bless me now with your fierce tears, I pray. [/FONT]
[FONT=arial, helvetica]Rage, rage against the dying of the light.[/FONT]