Efren Reyes vs. Nick Varner 1999 D.C.C. #2

tylerdurden

Verified Member
Tyler you're confused...you're making nice with, and cosying up to Mr. Duckmorran - who is the one that demeaned your shot choice...

And you didn't, respond to, and thank the Ghost - who is the one that complimented you on your shot-choice...:rolleyes:...

I know that Papie is quite old and you're being all polite and respectful towards him, but still...a reality check is called for here...:rolleyes:

- Ghost <-------May not compliment newbies on their shot choices anymore :

You are right, I apologize Ghost. Truth be told, I "cosyed" to Mr. Mcmorran when i watched him move.... i thought it was a thing of beauty. He can demean my shot selection anytime, I think that is why I come here.... to be grilled for my poor shot selection (which, in this case, i dont think it was poor :)). But, I do appreciate your candor in picking my shot as the best (snicker) as I can now see that you have done this you are very knowledgeable :) and I will proceed to ignore Mr. Mcmorran and only listen to you :)

In all seriousness now... thanks for mentioning my shot.... my speed is i can spell one pocket, perhaps with one misspelled letter ("one poket"), and i love learning and i appreciate all input from great players such as yourself.

SJDinPHX

Suspended
It's very true that you need to be up at the table to really get a good assessment of what's in front of you.

I saw this option early on but from the picture presented to us I quickly nixed it because it looked liked the right side of the six was not accessible from the way they layed.

Frank,

First just let me say, its a real pleasure to talk this shot over, with someone who has a greater knowledge of the game, than
ANY KNOW-IT-ALL(S), east of the Mississippi. (regardless of THEIR ranking)..:cool:

Its understandable that no one else saw the 6 either. "Yet the #1 ranked moving mind" (in Chicago) saw fit to demean my shot choice, while complimenting an admitted "newbie", because his shot closely resembled his.

How is it that NO ONE, on the entire forum, except said "newbie" and one, "over-the hill apparition", even remotely suggested taking an intentional scratch in that spot.

Unlike some,.... I know I can expect a direct, intelligent answer, from you. Unless of course you prefer to not hurt said "0-t-h app's" feeling's..I hope I don't have to call on Lou F., as he will not mince words, like I have....:rolleyes:;)

SuperDuck <---Easily the G1PM in the Universe..;)

PS..Please remember, said Ghroats person, was initially touting some wild ass "banger blast" shot,...over cutting the 3 ball, (which even the "newbie" agreed on)...which started all this caca in the firsr place..:frus

Last edited:

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
sometimes when at the table ill think about if i had ball in hand where would i want the cue ball
then i try to figure a way to get the ball there
most of us (im not sure dick if you do or dont agree) beleived the cue ball behind the stack was a better place to be than on the end rail
the scratch way to get there was not the number one way to get there as nick showed us (thats why nick is a hall of famer)
but it was the stronger place to leave the cueball
imho
icbw
im east of the mississippee in florida..:lol

SJDinPHX

Suspended
sometimes when at the table ill think about if i had ball in hand where would i want the cue ball
most of us (im not sure dick if you do or dont agree) beleived the cue ball behind the stack was a better place to be than on the end rail
the scratch way to get there was not the number one way to get there as nick showed us (thats why nick is a hall of famer)
but it was the stronger place to leave the cueball
imho
icbw
im east of the mississippee in florida..:lol

Larry, That question has been addressed several times...No one on the entire forum saw the simple option, that Varner had... Thats the trouble with "stupid WIE tables", or worse, RBL outtakes...they are only 2 dimensional. So its like this->>>:frus

Sooooo, Until RBL gets Hi-Def, 3D, over the table views, with balls numbered clearly, (including cue ball) Pockets denoted, and whose shot it is,..on his first (initial) post,... I may recuse myself from further participation in his exciting [sic] outtakes, of 30-40 year old matches. (plus, I don't like him anyway).:p

SuperDuck, G1PMITU

Gooooooooooooooooooo
Tigerssssssssssssssssss...Oh, wait...?

Last edited:

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
Gooooooooooooooooooo
Tigerssssssssssssssssss...Oh, wait...?

For that, Dick,I offically award you...

lll :)

..........:)
( i hope skin doent mind i stole it from him:eek:)

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
From
Ghosttown
Thats the trouble with "stupid WIE tables", or worse, RBL outtakes...they are only 2 dimensional. So its like this->>>:frus

Sooooo, Until RBL gets Hi-Def, 3D, over the table views, with balls numbered clearly, (including cue ball) Pockets denoted, and whose shot it is,.. I may recuse myself from further participation in his exciting [sic] outtakes, of 30-40 year old matches.

SuperDuck, G1PMITU

Excuse me, Mr. Duckmorran, but the real reason that you would recuse yourself from giving anymore of your shot choices in shot choice threads has nothing to do with your trouble visualizing the wei table...

...It's because you choose the wrong shot so many times, and get called on it, and it's very embarassing for you...:sorry

- Mr. Ghroats

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
From
Ghosttown

BINGO!....Congratulations Larry - that's exactly what you're supposed to do....especially in games when the table/ball layout strongly favors you, and you need to find the place and the path, to put him in a deathtrap...when I give a One Pocket lesson, this is one of the things that I always stress.

- Ghost

Skin

Verified Member
..........:)
( i hope skin doent mind i stole it from him:eek:)

Larry, Dick, does not get an Attaboy for rooting for the Tigers. Nor does anyone who roots for the Cardinals. An Attaboyt is only awarded for rooting for the Rangers...to win, not to lose. :)

Skin

SJDinPHX

Suspended
BINGO!....Congratulations Larry - that's exactly what you're supposed to do....especially in games when the table/ball layout strongly favors you, and you need to find the place and the path, to put him in a deathtrap...when I give a One Pocket lesson, this is one of the things that I always stress.

- Ghost

Don't let Goatsy flatter you Larry, (like he did Tyler).. All good 1P players do that automatically...(or they should)
The only thing is, with his limited skills, he has to "lag" the ball to that specific spot...By the time his feeble brain finally traps somebody, he "owes" a couple dozen balls...:rolleyes: With his VERY limited ball running ability, this does not bode well for him !

SuperDuck <---rarely has to lag to get safe, as he has trapping skill's far beyond Goatsy's (very limited) comprehension...I think, to make it a fair game, In our primes, I would have to have given him at least 12/7..And he would definately need his "ass-weight's", for that game :D :D :D

Superduck, G1PMINU

Good name for the rapist dog would be "GhoatNuts"...:lol

Last edited:

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
Larry, Dick, does not get an Attaboy for rooting for the Tigers. Nor does anyone who roots for the Cardinals. An Attaboyt is only awarded for rooting for the Rangers...to win, not to lose. :)

Skin

well i liked my attaboy
so im rooting for the rangers to win
GOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
RANGERSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
:)

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
From
Ghosttown
You are right, I apologize Ghost. you are very knowledgeable :) and I will proceed to ignore Mr. Mcmorran and only listen to you :)

Now that's more like it Tyler, I'm glad to see you've come to your senses - the Ghost truly hates to see a serious young One Pocket student led astray...:cool:...

And one more thing Tyler my boy...I know you haven't been here on the site for very long and there's a couple of members on here who haven't posted for awhile, so you might not know of them...they go by the names of: Dr. Billy and Artie 'the middler'..:eek:...now if the time ever comes down the road, whereby either of those two hombres disagree with the Ghost on anything - you just ignore what they say and stick with the Ghost...:)

- Mr. Ghost

SJDinPHX

Suspended
Now that's more like it Tyler, I'm glad to see you've come to your senses - the Ghost truly hates to see a serious young One Pocket student led astray...:cool:...

You just ignore what EVERYBODY says, and stick with Bernard...

- Mr. Ghost

Talk about being led astray, Tyler...Who would you rather listen to.....????????????????

A guy who dates somebody like this-->>>;)
View attachment 4259

Or a guy who actually prefers something like this -->>:mad:
View attachment 4260

Don't let Bernard (the Ghoats real name) fool you,
He types a hell of a lot better, then he looks...:rolleyes:
View attachment 4261

PS..Both the ladies and the bartender, are well within range of his deadly "Samuri Sword" cue stick.. Also, notice the fluid [sic] stroke !..:eek:

Last edited:

jrhendy

Verified Member
From
Placerville, CA
Two good things to do here...

One choice is a potentially very effective and powerful power shot, but there's a risk involved: Shoot the ball 4ball 2 rails into the 13 ball with speed, medium-hard, and draw-stiff the cueball sideways into the 12 balls thus sending a slew of balls towards your pocket - the downside gamble/risk to the shot is that you could catch a kiss from the 4 or 13 balls - probably worth the gamble though because you're going to get a lot of positive action from this shot...

The other, more conservative choice, is to shoot the 3ball...shooting to make the 3ball if that angle naturally sends the cueball behind the 4ball and down to the bottom rail and behind the 13ball...if you don't have that angle, then you play the cueball thinner off the 3ball, or fuller, shooting th 3ball into the 5-2 combination with a soft follow stroke - choosing whichever shot/angle will allow you to get the cueball between the 4 and the long rail, ending up down on the bottom rail and behind the 13ball.

- Ghost

Ghosty, I smell a prop bet at the DCC here.

You shoot your four ball shot, I shoot a ticky on the four ball, hard and also taking out the ball near the hole on the rail, sending multiple balls near or in my hole.

I can't believe a billiard player did not see this obvious shot. I will bet a liitle on it over your shot.

SJDinPHX

Suspended

You shoot your four ball shot, I shoot a ticky on the four ball, hard and also taking out the ball near the hole on the rail, sending multiple balls near or in my hole.

I can't believe a billiard player did not see this obvious shot. I will bet a liitle on it over your shot.

John, You have the nuts...Triple nuts, if you bet OVER $_.00 <<<(insert $ amount here ;))... Can I please be in ?.:cool:

Last edited:

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
From
Ghosttown

John, I would do it, but the balls would be too hard to set up correctly over and over.

- Ghosty

PS, Actually, our two shots are pretty similar on all counts, difficulty of execution, danger vs. payoff, etc. etc.

PPS, Papie wants to bet on your shot :rolleyes:...tell you what...if I would have suggested your shot, instead of Papie wanting to bet on it, he would have ridiculed it for 3 days and with a minimum of 5 posts...;)...and I would empty out and borrow from everyone I know, to bet that he would have done that...:cool: :cool:

jrhendy

Verified Member
From
Placerville, CA
John, I would do it, but the balls would be too hard to set up correctly over and over.

- Ghosty

PS, Actually, our two shots are pretty similar on all counts, difficulty of execution, danger vs. payoff, etc. etc.

PPS, Papie wants to bet on your shot :rolleyes:...tell you what...if I would have suggested your shot, instead of Papie wanting to bet on it, he would have ridiculed it for 3 days and with a minimum of 5 posts...;)...and I would empty out and borrow from everyone I know, to bet that he would have done that...:cool: :cool:

I forgot to mention a minor detail. I get to set up the balls.:D

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
From
Ghosttown
John, You have the nuts.... Can I please be in ?

Sure you can be in - and lose your money betting against me, just like you did the last time you bet against me in a prop bet...:cool:

- Mr. Ghroats

PS, And oh yeah, I just remembered ;) you still owe Freddy his $$$ from betting against me in that prop bet...:D :lol :p

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
I like the shots that both players chose. Reyes was in a tough spot and any other shot would of been more of a risk than the one he chose. In situations like the one Reyes was confronted with, how can you argue against one of the worlds best balkline players. If anything Reyes has a very good understanding of the cue ball.

Varner chose a simple shot to execute that offered as much of an advantage as any other shot available. The intentional kick would of left about the same options as Varners shot.

Billy I.

tonygreen

Well-Known-Member
What should Reyes do here ?

What should Reyes do here ?

For conversation sake ... i'm sorry to break up the lovemaking discussion but What would you like to do here Mr. Reyes? ... put the cueball back where it was before back to where it came from close to the 13 ?