2011 Bank Pool HOF Call for Nominations

onepocket

Administrator
Staff member
It is also time for our 7th year of nominations for our Bank Pool category.

Since we began to recognize Banks legends, we have elected thirteen well-deserving players into the Bank Pool Hall of Fame:

* Donny Anderson * Freddy 'The Beard' Bentivegna * John Brumback * Billy 'Cornbread Red' Burge * John 'Cannonball' Chapman * Vernon Elliott * Tony ‘Fargo’ Ferguson * Truman Hogue * Glen 'Piggy Banks' Rogers * Leonard 'Bugs' Rucker * Gary Spaeth * Eddie 'Knoxville Bear' Taylor * Javanley 'Youngblood' Washington *

Yet there are many other Bank Pool greats who certainly deserve to be honored, and it is time now to turn our attention to the next group of deserving candidates.

You are all now invited to use this nominations thread to suggest names for this year’s ballot, or to comment on the candidates that others have suggested. In November the final list of candidates will be placed into the Bank Pool Hall of Fame poll, and the voting can begin!

So, who do you like for this year’s nominees, and why should they join the legends already in the Bank Pool Hall of Fame? Don’t be shy about sharing your knowledge or opinions about who belongs on this year’s ballot; this is the right time to air it out. The more we all know about the candidates, the better informed we will be when it comes time to vote, and the more unified we will be in celebrating this coming January’s inductees.

Selection criteria for the Bank Pool Hall of Fame:

1. Great Players who have demonstrated their excellence in tournament competition over time.
2. After Hours Legends who have demonstrated their excellence and their heart by matching up against the best of their time.
3. Teachers and Promoters of the game who have had a lasting impact on the growth and popularity of the game.

Please note that you do not have to be a tournament player to qualify for the Bank Pool Hall of Fame – action guys are a huge part of the legacy of Bank Pool, and guys that have had more of an impact as teachers and promoters of the game are clearly invited too.

The 8th annual One Pocket Hall of Fame dinner is already scheduled for Tuesday, January 24, 2011 during the 14th Annual Derby City Classic. The dinner is a fantastic event with a very entertaining cast of characters. Besides the current inductees and their families and friends, all the previous inductees are also invited, and the crowd becomes a veritable who’s who of pool action over the years. Last year’s event sold out early and many people were turned away, so make your reservations early!

Please note, in order to vote this year, you will have to be a “Verified Member”. If you feel you should be verified, and are not, please explain either by private message here, or by using the Contact Us email form. Be patient, this is done manually, case by case.

Scrzbill

Verified Member
From
Eagles Rest, Wa
Bank HOF

Bank HOF

Bob Bolles, He was one of the few who played with the bear on a regular basis. Although he is not from Chicago, he was a great banker
Patch eye, I don't remember his real name
Johnnie Edwards, Bowling green, Ky

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
One good, two bad

One good, two bad

Bob Bolles, He was one of the few who played with the bear on a regular basis. Although he is not from Chicago, he was a great banker
Patch eye, I don't remember his real name
Johnnie Edwards, Bowling green, Ky

I think his name was spelled Bob Bowles. He could be considered, even tho he was a local yokel not a road hog, and only played for $5 a game. The fact that Eddie Taylor considered him and another Ky boy, forgot his name at the moment (Charlie?), the toughest he ever played --- even tho it was $5 action -- is certainly meaningful of something.

Patch Eye, nee Henry Chapman, now Jaffar Basheer, played all games well, but he was definitely not Bank Pool Hall of Fame material. He seldom played banks, and even more seldom played good bankers. One Pocket HOF is something entirely different.

Johnny Edwards was a $10 9 ball player on 4 x 8's in Bowling Green. Very, very, hard to beat playing 9 rock in his joint. However, he gave me no action playing banks or one pocket when I visited his place in the 70s.
I know of no one he ever beat playing banks.

Finally, your mention of Ike Runnels in the 1pkt category was ok, except for your designation as him being a top banker. There are at least 10 guys in Chicago who can beat him playing bank pool.

Beard

Scrzbill

Verified Member
From
Eagles Rest, Wa
I think his name was spelled Bob Bowles. He could be considered, even tho he was a local yokel not a road hog, and only played for $5 a game. The fact that Eddie Taylor considered him and another Ky boy, forgot his name at the moment (Charlie?), the toughest he ever played --- even tho it was $5 action -- is certainly meaningful of something.

Patch Eye, nee Henry Chapman, now Jaffar Basheer, played all games well, but he was definitely not Bank Pool Hall of Fame material. He seldom played banks, and even more seldom played good bankers. One Pocket HOF is something entirely different.

Johnny Edwards was a $10 9 ball player on 4 x 8's in Bowling Green. Very, very, hard to beat playing 9 rock in his joint. However, he gave me no action playing banks or one pocket when I visited his place in the 70s.
I know of no one he ever beat playing banks.

Finally, your mention of Ike Runnels in the 1pkt category was ok, except for your designation as him being a top banker. There are at least 10 guys in Chicago who can beat him playing bank pool.

Beard

I read the criteria and I guess your right about Bob Bolles. He was only the second best player to Eddie Taylor and cared more about his family than being a high stakes gambler or a road player. The same could be said for Patch. He rarely left Louisville to go on the road and played for modest stakes. Just because the only action he could get in banks was Whitey, Truman or John should definitely keep him out.
Johnny Edwards was a local "yokel" also and just being a yokel disqualifies someone.
Ike NOT a great banker? That's one persons opinion and my opinion is he is. So let's hear from the others. OK I will modify my nominations
Bob Bolles, nee Bowles banks HOF
Patch for one pocket HOF
Ike Banks HOF
A hall of fame should be about the greatness of your abilities to bank, not to be a degenerate gambler.

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
What would I know about Ike?

What would I know about Ike?

I read the criteria and I guess your right about Bob Bolles. He was only the second best player to Eddie Taylor and cared more about his family than being a high stakes gambler or a road player. The same could be said for Patch. He rarely left Louisville to go on the road and played for modest stakes. Just because the only action he could get in banks was Whitey, Truman or John should definitely keep him out.
Johnny Edwards was a local "yokel" also and just being a yokel disqualifies someone.
Ike NOT a great banker? That's one persons opinion and my opinion is he is. So let's hear from the others. OK I will modify my nominations
Bob Bolles, nee Bowles banks HOF
Patch for one pocket HOF
Ike Banks HOF
A hall of fame should be about the greatness of your abilities to bank, not to be a degenerate gambler.

I only know and have been around him for 25 years. We only hang out in the same pool room for the last 5 years. For the record, in case you didnt know it, my opinion in the bank dept counts for way, way, more than "one other person's" opinion. That aint braggin', that's reality. You try going up to Truman, or Efren or Jose, or Bustamonte and try talking banks and see if they stay to listen to you.

And just to be clear, our Hall of Fame is for after hours gamblers and action people. The funsy guys have their own HOF over at the BCA.

We here like to keep score with cash. California is the state where the school kids aint allowed to keep score. Might hurt somebodys feelings.
I liked to beat guys to the point where they started thinking about suicide and that's when I would offer them a pistol.

Beard

Scrzbill

Verified Member
From
Eagles Rest, Wa
I only know and have been around him for 25 years. We only hang out in the same pool room for the last 5 years. For the record, in case you didnt know it, my opinion in the bank dept counts for way, way, more than "one other person's" opinion. That aint braggin', that's reality. You try going up to Truman, or Efren or Jose, or Bustamonte and try talking banks and see if they stay to listen to you.

And just to be clear, our Hall of Fame is for after hours gamblers and action people. The funsy guys have their own HOF over at the BCA.

We here like to keep score with cash. California is the state where the school kids aint allowed to keep score. Might hurt somebodys feelings.
I liked to beat guys to the point where they started thinking about suicide and that's when I would offer them a pistol.

Beard

Then call it the Hall of Degenerate Gamblers not a hall of fame. At least you admit it is a little boys club and not a real HOF. Most people are under the impression you were trying to create something for posterity, not your ego, but knowing it is all about YOU, call it Beards ........... 25 years and you didn't know Ike is recognized for his banks all over the country?
I talk to Truman every year I go. And if I wanted to know to know something about banks, I would ask him, not a sociopath.
Some people have a life that includes not bragging about themselves or some horse crap story of how they robbed some blind player.
Why always the personal attacks on someone you don't even know? What is it that makes you are so insecure? Your a sociopath by your own admission and I agree totally with your admission.
In case you cannot read
Bob Bolles nee Bowles, banks HOF
Ike, Banks HOF
You have one vote, one opinion
I have one vote, one opinion
I can nominate anyone I like. You can continue to cry like a little baby. Have some water with your whine.

vapros

Verified Member
From
baton rouge, la
[QUOTEAnd just to be clear, our Hall of Fame is for after hours gamblers and action people. The funsy guys have their own HOF over at the BCA.
Beard[/QUOTE]

Freddie, I believe you're out of line here. If that's what our Hall of Fame is about, I would like to hear it officially. 'Just to be clear', your ass. We are fortunate you're not in charge. :eek:

CaliRed

Verified Member
From
Heart of the Midwest
before we get all carried away here, let's remember this is a thread for people to nominate people for the Hall of Fame in the banks division.

You would think it would be as easy and saying

I nominate so and so, and if you care too, you can say why.

End of post.

I never have grasped the fact of why threads that are made for people to give a vote, turn into people arguing about other people's choices.

Example: Thread Subject: What is your favorite color?

1st poster: Mine is Red

2nd poster: How can you choose red? Red is one of the most obscene colors there is. Anyone that likes red is stupid.

There is no right or wrong answer here, it's just a question of someone's personal preference.

See what I mean?:D

Maybe we can start a separate thread where everyone can argue each other's choices. I feel for Steve who has to wade thru all of this stuff to find names and here's something else to think about.

This is the one time a year that we probably get a good amount of people that don't come by as often as they should. If they come over here, read this thread, they might get a little turned off and we might lose them for good. And as it is in the everyday world, if one person is turned off, when the topic of onepocket.org comes up, that person is going to relate their last experience, which probably won't be a very positive one to everyone else. Then those people relate that to everyone else and so on and so on.

We do want this site to grow don't we? To get more and more people to come in and share ideas, for the people that create shots to discuss or the ones that offer secrets, to have a bigger and appreciative audience?

We all know it's very easy to start a new thread, so the question would be... why not? Can't see any negatives of that idea.

Just saying......

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
I am going to try and ignore that foul, "ass" remark

I am going to try and ignore that foul, "ass" remark

[QUOTEAnd just to be clear, our Hall of Fame is for after hours gamblers and action people. The funsy guys have their own HOF over at the BCA.
Beard

Freddie, I believe you're out of line here. If that's what our Hall of Fame is about, I would like to hear it officially. 'Just to be clear', your ass. We are fortunate you're not in charge. :eek:[/QUOTE]

... and reply objectively. Here is Steve Booth's #2 qualification as posted on the Hall of Fame page.

"#2. After Hours Legends who have demonstrated their excellence and their heart by matching up against the best of their time."

Did you think he was talking about them playing each other for the time?
And coincidentally, everybody in the players dept of the HOF, banks and Onepocket, has been an after hours, action guy. I repeat, everybody.

Now, I have promoted, participated, attended, MC'd, and donated products at every HOF since day one. Your contributions are.......?

Finally, where in our forum relationship have I disrespected you to the point where you should talk to me as you did?

Beard

Scrzbill

Verified Member
From
Eagles Rest, Wa
Beard

Freddie, I believe you're out of line here. If that's what our Hall of Fame is about, I would like to hear it officially. 'Just to be clear', your ass. We are fortunate you're not in charge. :eek:[/QUOTE]

I nominate Bob Bolles, nee Bowles
because Eddie Taylor told me after playing him one night, he was the one of the only guys he knew who had a chance against him in banks. The guy had the most massive hands you have ever seen. I left the south many years ago, never to return and do not know what happened to him or Patch. Much to my surprise to learn two of my teachers were so well known. I wish my ears had been better in those days.

vapros

Verified Member
From
baton rouge, la
Okay, Freddie, I'm sorry about the bit of my post that has offended you so badly. In my mind, and in this area, it is not such an insult as you apparently have perceived it. Just an expression rejecting your comments, and I am not interested in getting into a war of words here with you or anyone. This is probably my last post in this thread.

However, I am very disappointed in the idea of a Hall of Fame for players who are best known for staying up late and gambling - especially for other people's money. It would be much more acceptable to honor players who, at least, bet their own - when and if they had any. We are sometimes entertained here by tales of these guys and their misadventures, but voting them into our Hall of Fame on this basis is a whole 'nother smoke. Would you like to see Detroit Whitey and Sugar Shack Johnny Novak included? And if not, why not?

There must have been some other reason for Steve's use of the word 'excellence.' I hope so, at any rate. Again, Freddie, I didn't mean my comment as an insult. Be well.

Scrzbill

Verified Member
From
Eagles Rest, Wa
Okay, Freddie, I'm sorry about the bit of my post that has offended you so badly. In my mind, and in this area, it is not such an insult as you apparently have perceived it. Just an expression rejecting your comments, and I am not interested in getting into a war of words here with you or anyone. This is probably my last post in this thread.

However, I am very disappointed in the idea of a Hall of Fame for players who are best known for staying up late and gambling - especially for other people's money. It would be much more acceptable to honor players who, at least, bet their own - when and if they had any. We are sometimes entertained here by tales of these guys and their misadventures, but voting them into our Hall of Fame on this basis is a whole 'nother smoke. Would you like to see Detroit Whitey and Sugar Shack Johnny Novak included? And if not, why not?

There must have been some other reason for Steve's use of the word 'excellence.' I hope so, at any rate. Again, Freddie, I didn't mean my comment as an insult. Be well.

You said how I feel in a much nicer way. I just am really tired of Freddy's relentless attacks at me when he knows nothing about me. I may have overreacted just a little. It's the southern upbringing of my natural animosity towards YANKEES.:eek::cool:

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
Now you're talking like a person

Now you're talking like a person

You said how I feel in a much nicer way. I just am really tired of Freddy's relentless attacks at me when he knows nothing about me. I may have overreacted just a little. It's the southern upbringing of my natural animosity towards YANKEES.:eek::cool:

Instead of a Wall Street Protester.
Plus I didnt attack you, I corrected you. That is my job as an administrator for the One Pocket HOF. For example: Number of guys who can beat Ike playing bank pool in Chicago. Jeff Carter, Johnny Zaksas, Chris Gentile, Jet Johnson, Piggy Banks, Tough Tony, Black Leonard, and Rob Colchak, off the top of my head.

Beard

I will refrain from further discourse until I talk to Truman