this was the first scenario i found

scotts up 1 game and the score is 6-6 in ball count
its scotts shot
fd1.jpg

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
It looks to me like neither ball lends itself to a shot with easy shape for the second ball -- unless you go across table or up and down with the cue ball. I believe I would roll the lower ball in and then bank the stripe for the game ball. Both shots pocket speed, in case I only get close :)

Attachments

• Greenshot_2011-09-10_07-56-18.jpg
    Greenshot_2011-09-10_07-56-18.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 0

Miller

Verified Member
From
East St. Louis Area
NH Steve said:
It looks to me like neither ball lends itself to a shot with easy shape for the second ball -- unless you go across table or up and down with the cue ball. I believe I would roll the lower ball in and then bank the stripe for the game ball. Both shots pocket speed, in case I only get close :)

i like this also. seems there are more options in protecting both the cue ball and object ball when banking the six long as opposed to the stripe.

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
Miller said:
i like this also. seems there are more options in protecting both the cue ball and object ball when banking the six long as opposed to the stripe.
That's what I was thinking. The straight back would be easy to leave plenty of distance if it didn't fall -- cross side sometimes is more of a pace type of shot, and the side pocket scratch might need to be avoided too (if you go stripe first then six-ball)

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
the commentators were discussing whether to make the ball you can and go from there (ie take what the table gives you)
or try to force a run out
scott chose to play the stripe with alittle draw and then bank the 6
fd2.jpg

fd3.jpg

fd4.jpg

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
If there is enough rail to two-rail the 8-ball I would definitely be tempted to shoot at that -- you should come close to making it and at the same time can leave the cue ball right there. To me that leaves about as tough a leave as anything else I could reliably do with the ball down towards Scott's pocket.

Attachments

• Greenshot_2011-09-11_10-15-59.jpg
    Greenshot_2011-09-11_10-15-59.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 0

vapros

Verified Member
From
baton rouge, la
Steve, I would not shoot your shot. Even if you make it, you have no shot to win, and if you miss it Scott will surely move a second ball near his pocket, putting you in emergency mode. I don't think it's time to disturb the 8 ball.

petie

Verified Member
From
Citrus Springs, FL
I kind of the the railer off the bottom rail first and try to get whitie as far North as possible along your own rail. If you get close but leave whitie on the other side of the table, he'll have a bank.

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
petie said:
I kind of the the railer off the bottom rail first and try to get whitie as far North as possible along your own rail. If you get close but leave whitie on the other side of the table, he'll have a bank.

Did you forget the 6 ball Petie ? Maybe I'm not reading you right. :confused:
Rod.

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
vapros said:
Steve, I would not shoot your shot. Even if you make it, you have no shot to win, and if you miss it Scott will surely move a second ball near his pocket, putting you in emergency mode. I don't think it's time to disturb the 8 ball.
vapros i dont think steve wanted to make it
so it spotted up

petie

Verified Member
From
Citrus Springs, FL
androd said:
Did you forget the 6 ball Petie ? Maybe I'm not reading you right. :confused:
Rod.

No even though I skipped a word or two in my post. I'm 3 railing the 6 off the bottom rail, off the right hand side rail and off the head rail toward my pocket at lag speed and going to the bottom rail with whitie and back up as far north and as far left as I can get.

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
petie said:
No even though I skipped a word or two in my post. I'm 3 railing the 6 off the bottom rail, off the right hand side rail and off the head rail toward my pocket at lag speed and going to the bottom rail with whitie and back up as far north and as far left as I can get.

Gotcha, that's very different from what I was getting before.
Rod.
P.S. I'm gettin a little slow on the uptake in my dotage.:)

petie

Verified Member
From
Citrus Springs, FL
androd said:
Gotcha, that's very different from what I was getting before.
Rod.
P.S. I'm gettin a little slow on the uptake in my dotage.:)

No need to explain the slower brain to me, the original post as in dumb as a.

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
lll said:
shannons shot he needs 2 scott needs one
the 8 ball was not called froze
View attachment 3854
billy I was saying shannon should 2 rail the 8 near his hole and stick the cue ball there
this way getting the 2 balls he needs in play
billy's concern was by playing safe scott would have relatively free shots to his hole and shannon would be in defence mode knocking the ball away from scotts hole
anyway
shannon decided to play safe :D
like this
fd1.jpg

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
Even though Shannon needs both balls he really can't afford to try any thing with the 8 ball and leave the 6 ball where it's positioned. The 8 ball positioned where it is favors Shannon over Frost, not that that's the reason for not moving it but it's something to evaluate. I would back kick the 6 ball from this position, a little risky but Shannons in a tough spot and it's time for him to show his skills.

Billy I.