Mike Sigel

Terry Ardeno

Verified Member
From
Washington, Pa
How would you guys rate Sigel's one pocket game?

I was watching an old tape of him vs Johnny Ervolino and he seemed to play a real solid style. His banking prowness was a definite help, as was his shotmaking ability. Without saying too much more, I would be real interested in how some of you rate(d) his style of play.

Artie Bodendorfer

Verified Member
Terry Ardeno said:
How would you guys rate Sigel's one pocket game?

I was watching an old tape of him vs Johnny Ervolino and he seemed to play a real solid style. His banking prowness was a definite help, as was his shotmaking ability. Without saying too much more, I would be real interested in how some of you rate(d) his style of play.
I rate his game very high and if he realy learned to play the game correctly he could have been the best player in life. Because off his ability and position and knowledge about pool. He was no a ordinary player. He was a great player. And is way on top in ability and knowledge. but what I no about him staight pool was his true love. And Steve Misarack and Siegale were the bet straight pool players for about 30 years. And thats what they enjoyed playing.

Grady

Verified Member
From
Columbia, SC
What I know

What I know

Mike won one of my "Legends" tournaments, the one I held at Pete Fusco's place in Philadelphia. I think Bugs was second. He finished second to me at Sid Mann's 1984 One Pocket event in Austin. Mike didn't know the game as well as top One Pocket players of his era but he didn't miss many balls.

Fatboy

Verified Member
From
Vegas & LA
I have seen him is several old videos, he never looked uncomforatble or confused to me like some top players do when they play 1P, Mike was in my mind a great all around player, he still plays good-about a year ago he ran 200 in sraight pool.

Matt_24

Verified Member
Mike Sigel is one of my favorite players of all time.

There is no one I would rather watch play 9 ball than Sigel. I have a lot of his old tournament finals/matches on DVD and he played "textbook" position and made every hard shot look so simple and easy. I've tried to model my 9 ball game off of his style and maybe Buddy Hall - but we're talking one pocket, right?

Of course Sigel's straight pool was superb as well which equals knowledge of the stack and object ball reactions out of the stack. Yet another tremendous advantage for a one pocket player.

My thought is that Sigel relied on these skills alone to win and place in a lot of these big one pocket tournaments - but if he were dedicated to the game back then there is no question he would be considered one of the greatest one pocket players.

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
Knowledge

Knowledge

This post covers two threads.
Jimmy Reid once said Mike Sigel was bragging about his new pool vanity license plate. "What do I know about pool? You kidding? Even my license plate says KNOWLEDGE, with a big capital "N.""

the Beard

Terry Ardeno

Verified Member
From
Washington, Pa
fred bentivegna said:
This post covers two threads.
Jimmy Reid once said Mike Sigel was bragging about his new pool vanity license plate. "What do I know about pool? You kidding? Even my license plate says KNOWLEDGE, with a big capital "N.""

the Beard

Fred,
I also have heard that story. In fact, Grady mentions on Accu-Stats that one time while playing another player, Sigel pointed to his own head and said "I should be called "Mr N" with all this pool knowledge I have." Grady then correctly pointed out that knowledge starts with a "K". :)

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
an edit

an edit

Terry Ardeno said:
Fred,
I also have heard that story. In fact, Grady mentions on Accu-Stats that one time while playing another player, Sigel pointed to his own head and said "I should be called "Mr N" with all this pool knowledge I have." Grady then correctly pointed out that knowledge starts with a "K". :)

Now that you said that I remember the story better now. Sigel's license plate says, "Mr N."

the Beard

tonygreen

Well-Known-Member
Mike S. took a break from pool in the second half of the 90's. If it wasn't for this, we dont know how many One Pocket tournaments he would have won or that matter any other pool disciplines. Sigel could really play safe ( you hear me ? ) and that coupled with having a canon for firepower.

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
Grady said:
Mike won one of my "Legends" tournaments, the one I held at Pete Fusco's place in Philadelphia. I think Bugs was second. He finished second to me at Sid Mann's 1984 One Pocket event in Austin. Mike didn't know the game as well as top One Pocket players of his era but he didn't miss many balls.

Sigels best game was 9 ball, closely behind was straight pool, he played excellent 8 ball and played top banks. His worst game was one pocket, but he could of beaten anyone on a given day that's how well he played pool. I would have to rate Sigels 9 ball game with the best, players like Lassiter, Worst, and possibly Hall. His straight pool game was excellent as well, Artie was right on when he said that Mizerak and Sigel were the two best straight pool players of their time.

Billy I.

BUD GREEN

Verified Member
I believe Mike shot so good back then that he could beat anyone, but I still think I would bet against him if he played Hopkins, Cook, and even a 19 year old Daulton back in the early 90's.

Thinking back to how Fusco dominated Rempe on the old Accu-Stats match when he squeezed as hard as possible, I think many of the old "pure" one pocket players could have given Mike fits if they made sure he didn't get free shots.

Mike is still one of the most talented players to ever hold a cue though. Buddy Hall says Mike is the straightest shooter he's ever seen, and Efren said Mike was his toughest opponent.

jrhendy

Verified Member
From
Placerville, CA
BUD GREEN said:
I believe Mike shot so good back then that he could beat anyone, but I still think I would bet against him if he played Hopkins, Cook, and even a 19 year old Daulton back in the early 90's.

I played Shannon a race to four for 1k during the Reno tournaments back then. He looked like he was 12 or 13.

After we had posted the $$ on the light he looked over at me and said "You know y'all can bet more if you want". He beat me 4/1.

Terry Ardeno

Verified Member
From
Washington, Pa
jrhendy said:
I played Shannon a race to four for 1k during the Reno tournaments back then. He looked like he was 12 or 13.

After we had posted the $$ on the light he looked over at me and said "You know y'all can bet more if you want". He beat me 4/1.

Good story John!

Most everybody here knows how much I like Shannon....he's one of my all-time favorite players. His brashness & supreme confidence in himself has caused him to say stuff like that to most every great player he's battled at one time or another. My favorite was when he was playing Mizerak in the finals of a tournament & right before they lagged, asked The Miz "Care to bet on yourself?" I mean, that's "Psychological Warfare" at it's best! His timing in these statements seems to be right at the very start of the festivities.

He told me something one time that I'll always remember...."The great players have earned the fear they put into other people."

Anyway John, if you care to, can you share your thoughts or what went thru your mind when he said that to you? As a top shelf player yourself, did it make you giggle a little inside, seeing how confident this young fella was?
Thanks!

jrhendy

Verified Member
From
Placerville, CA
Terry Ardeno said:
Good story John!

Most everybody here knows how much I like Shannon....he's one of my all-time favorite players. His brashness & supreme confidence in himself has caused him to say stuff like that to most every great player he's battled at one time or another. My favorite was when he was playing Mizerak in the finals of a tournament & right before they lagged, asked The Miz "Care to bet on yourself?" I mean, that's "Psychological Warfare" at it's best! His timing in these statements seems to be right at the very start of the festivities.

He told me something one time that I'll always remember...."The great players have earned the fear they put into other people."

Anyway John, if you care to, can you share your thoughts or what went thru your mind when he said that to you? As a top shelf player yourself, did it make you giggle a little inside, seeing how confident this young fella was?
Thanks!

I was never a "Top Shelf" player Terry, but I probably was near the top of the heap for a working man and on a good day was liable to beat anyone in 9 ball or one pocket. I am very lucky that today, at 72 years old, my game isn't too far away from where it was years ago.

I was a little tickled when Shannon said this to me because I was sure I could slow him down by outmoving him. I had heard he was a straight shooter and good banker but soon learned he could move when he had to.

Just before the match started my old friend Dave Piona (R.I.P.) walked up to me and stuck $500 in my pocket and said "You owe me a favor and I have 1/2 of this". If Shannon had not been so confident I might have tried to talk Dave out of it.

CaliRed

Verified Member
From
Heart of the Midwest
jrhendy said:
Just before the match started my old friend Dave Piona (R.I.P.) walked up to me and stuck $500 in my pocket and said "You owe me a favor and I have 1/2 of this". If Shannon had not been so confident I might have tried to talk Dave out of it.

Sorry to hear Dave passed away... how long ago was that? Natural causes?

I remember him hanging around in Seattle at the old 211 for awhile back in the 80's.

jrhendy

Verified Member
From
Placerville, CA
CaliRed said:
Sorry to hear Dave passed away... how long ago was that? Natural causes?

I remember him hanging around in Seattle at the old 211 for awhile back in the 80's.

He passed five years ago Greg. They just had the annual memorial tournament for him last weekend.

He had heart problems for years before he passed.