S. Ochoa vs. R. Martinez

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
wincardona said:
After further review of the shot and the situation I really don't feel that it's the stupidest shot that I have ever seen. But it could be the stupidest shot that you have ever seen, I can't say that it wasn't, but not to me.

It looks to be very well designed to reposition both the object ball and the cue ball to positions on the table that would very easily favor the shooter. The shot is all about execution as opposed to whether it's the wrong or right shot for the masses.

When a shot is critiqued I feel that you must consider the player that shot the shot. I agree with you that the shot is a bad shot to choose, that would apply to some where around 99.90% of the players, but there are a small % of players who could pull it off. That brings me to the statement that you made about if The Ghost shot the shot I would be very critical with his choice, and why not to Martinez? Well I believe you answered your own questiion. The Ghost is The Ghost and we all know his style and mind set, and Martinez is Martinez, and those of us that know him should understand that this choice of shot was not that surprising.:p

Billy I.
Bill,

Martinez needed two balls when he shot the 5-railer, do you know that?

Dennis

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
wincardona said:
Martinez is one of pools most exciting players, he imo is the most creative player I have ever watched play our game. Whenever Martinez goes to the table to play he lures people and players from every where to watch him play. I have learned many shots watching him play, but there are shots that he shoots that I could never pull off. If I could I probably would try them. I really don't know what it would feel like to have developed the skills that Martinez has. He has to feel superior to most with his ability, and apparently has his own way of expressing him self as a player. I'm never surprised to see Martinez shoot a redicously low percentage shot and hit it well. He seems to hit every shot he shoots well, because his game is based on execution more so than selective shooting. Most players select the shot that fits their style and ability, Martinez selects the shot that he imagines, and what an imagination. :cool:

Billy I.
Bill,

You ain't running for president or anything, just critiquing one pool shot in one layout, that's all.

Dennis

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
Cowboy Dennis said:
Bill,

Martinez needed two balls when he shot the 5-railer, do you know that?

Dennis
Yes Dennis I did notice that he needed two balls when he shot the 5 railer. He may have tried to pocket the hanging ball with the cue ball, utilizing his billiard skills. It was a very creative shot that he probably has shot a number of times. Martinez shoots shots like that more often than anyone can imagine, and hits them well. Understanding that it may have been an acceptable shot in the situation he was in.

If you notice the path that the cue ball and the object ball takes if the shot is hit well, it's not as bad of a shot that it appears to be. Would I have tried it? Of course not, but i'm not Martinez.

And i'm not running for president, i'm an old over the hill pool player.:D

Billy I.

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
an old over the hill pool player makes great credentials to be our president to me:) :)
what better experience at negotiating:rolleyes:

billy whats your thoughts on rafa s masse shot as an option when placed in the situatuon he was put in
see this thread
http://onepocket.org/forum/showthread.php?t=5385
and look at the next to last page to see another situation where he tried it

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
wincardona said:
Would I have tried it? Of course not, but i'm not Martinez.

Billy I.
Correct Bill, you are not Martinez, you'd rather win the game. No point in defending the indefensible anymore.

I finally got my DVD back. Here's the path of the balls and the leave.

RM's Silly Shot.jpg

CapturedPicture_4.Jpeg

bstroud

Verified Member
It was a stupid shot when the one rail spin bank was available.

With the spin shot you will leave the object on the end rail if you miss it. Not an easy one rail bank.

Anyone that wants to shoot the 5 rail shot from that position has got me for life.

Bill Stroud

senor

Verified Member
bstroud said:
Anyone that wants to shoot the 5 rail shot from that position has got me for life.

Bill Stroud

Rafael asks that you stock up with Corona please :)

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
Cowboy Dennis said:
Correct Bill, you are not Martinez, you'd rather win the game. No point in defending the indefensible anymore.

I finally got my DVD back. Here's the path of the balls and the leave.

View attachment 3587
Okay, I see that shot now. Way too tough for me. Amazing to consider that he would like that enough to play it. I would assume a little showmanship is involved in that kind of decision.

Rackembilliards

Raphael

Raphael

A couple of weeks ago Raphael was in town playing Jesse Allred. Three straight games-with each needing one-Jesse left him the last ball on the middle of the foot rail and the cue ball on the middle of the head rail. Martinez 4 railed all three of them to get out. No denying he's fun to watch. Anybody think he won't shoot this one again when it comes up?

u12armresl

Verified Member
Pretty uneducated things to say.

Middle of KKK country? Hick town?

Scrzbill said:
This match was in the early afternoon PST Many of the spectators had set seats either on the rail where the streaming took place or on the sides. The tables you see in the background filled up later in the day. CBC had plenty of room for all the players and a horde of spectators. Does anyone believe that 48 top one pocket players with many of them world champions would not draw a huge crowd. Look at the DCC in Podunk, Indiana. It's in the middle of KKK country, three miles from the closet hick town, and the placed is filled every year. CBC is in the middle of heavily population N California silicon valley and the San Francisco peninsula. There were plenty of people there and those of you who couldn't make it, will be coming next year or the year after for more great one pocket.

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
Rackembilliards said:
A couple of weeks ago Raphael was in town playing Jesse Allred. Three straight games-with each needing one-Jesse left him the last ball on the middle of the foot rail and the cue ball on the middle of the head rail. Martinez 4 railed all three of them to get out. No denying he's fun to watch. Anybody think he won't shoot this one again when it comes up?
You mean like this? Pretty good opening shot for One Ball One Pocket :D

[CUETABLE]http://pool.bz/P/?@4AAOl2PAkd4UAOl4UbUp2UHYj2UbIJ4UbSb2kAkd3kBUa3kDQm3kbIc1kawY2kHxb@[/CUETABLE]

Rackembilliards

4 railers

4 railers

Yep, that's it, though the cue ball was very near the head rail, and ended up by the upper corner on his side. All three had just enough speed to drop.

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
As to the 5 railer, as Gabby Hayes would say "Well Roy he hit it just
a wee little mite to hard." :p

Last edited:

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
San Fran Clan

San Fran Clan

u12armresl said:

If you live in the San Francisco area you are allowed to say that.

Beard

As long as we are slinging shit at the midwest, does anybody know who Theresa Sparks is? I will provide a clue. She was woman of the year in CA in 2003. And was the president of the Police Commission in San Fran

Last edited:

jrhendy

Verified Member
From
Placerville, CA
u12armresl said:

He grew up and went to college there. Probably knows what he is talking about, but the point is the tournament is very successful in an unlikely place.

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
jrhendy said:
He grew up and went to college there. Probably knows what he is talking about, but the point is the tournament is very successful in an unlikely place.
Similar could be said (and was said) about Johnston City when those tourney's ran way back when....

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
He who is without...

He who is without...

Originally Posted by u12armresl

jrhendy said:

...sin, let him cast the first stone. He is right about Indiana. It is a hotbed for the KKK, among other things, and the town down the road is a hick town.

But the area he is in now has it's own little peccadilloes:
"Santa Cruz is now known for its moderate climate, natural beauty, educational institutions, alternative community lifestyles, and socially liberal leanings. It is also home to University of California, Santa Cruz, a premier research institution and educational hub."
Well, who could have guessed that?

Beard