sunnyone

Verified Member
From
nyc
betty or veronica?

mac or p c?

offense or defense?

some answers are easier than others.

obviously ‘paper or plastic’ presents a false choice. the answer is ‘neither.’ buy some eco-friendly totes, save a tree or two, consume a little less fossil fuel.

‘betty or veronica’ is a subjective loins-driven decision. sophomoric boys (not that there are any players in here who don’t hold postgraduate degrees in girl-wisdom!) would say: ‘both.’

i’m an apple annie all the way ... laptop, pad, pod and phone. but most people aren’t. i wonder if the pool world has a greater or lesser number of mac users than the general public?

in one-pocket, the ‘offense v. defense’ discussion would probably generate another default response of ‘both.’

but -- if one had to make a binary selection -- would today’s one-pocket answer be ‘offense?’ yesterday’s, i believe, wouldn’t.

from my readings in here, from watching videos and streams along with their often-savvy commentaries, from chat room conversations, from private correspondence ... here is my (admittedly under-informed and severely condensed) take on the evolution of one-pocket:

> ronnie allen transformed a game of protection into a contest of assault. he took chances, attempted previously-avoided shots, ignored obvious safeties. on the attack, and adept at moving a cluster of balls with one stroke, he delivered the eight-and-out hammer that helped revolutionize the game.

> efren reyes (caro mia!) fine-tuned the offensive juggernaut by extraordinary cue ball control, savvy caroms and astute kicking strategies. plus ... imagination. and, he is so cute!

> scott frost delivered a raw ball-making talent, including aggressive multi-rail shape. he seems to prosper more in money sessions than in tournaments.

q: can the nick varner, defense-first, wedge-it-up-table philosophy still prevail in today’s aggressive game?

is it a question of long v. short sessions? of money wagered? of prevailing personalities? of tournament v. gambling sessions? of generational differences?

relying on the wit and wisdom of this forum is my life,

sunny

s. as mentioned, this silly little note is an abridged version of my take on the evolution of one-pocket. the inedited version is available in a two-cd collection, interspersed with personal deliberations on why i am not at all bothered that my non-husband remains so. not at all bothered.

this extremely instructive two-disc set is available for the unprecedented, one-time-only, investment of $199.99. levies, transport and fondling extra.

p. s. i am the first to proclaim that my understanding of the game, and it’s evolution, is amateurish. i welcome all polite course corrections so long as they don’t hurt my feelings.

p. p. p. s. don’t be snippy, skippy!

sunnyone

Verified Member
From
nyc
brilliant analysis!

brilliant analysis!

so savvy, so perceptive.

i’ve never read a more shrewd history of the game.

sharing appreciation is my life,

sunny

usblues

Verified Member
From
St Paul,Mn
we've been thru this town......

we've been thru this town......

once upon a time in 09 -10 or so and Sunnys life is convincing the gullible members here that he really isnt a 50ish,balding,gay,caballero from Queens Blvd.who's into silk and leather cue wraps.Devilishly clever that one.Be sure and dont pick up any hitchhikers in drag after midnite after the Coyote Ball that answer to the wolf-whistles from the Last Chance Saloon Bus to the suburbs.Unless your looking for a good time,cheers,B

RedCard

Verified Member
'i’m an apple annie all the way ... laptop, pad, pod and phone'.
~~~
The phone has a built-in iPod.

RedCard

Verified Member
RedCard said:
'i’m an apple annie all the way ... laptop, pad, pod and phone'.
~~~
The phone has a built-in iPod.

Pointing out redundancy is my life.
Getting it right the first time isn't.