T. Hogue vs. Piggy Bank 2001 D.C.C.

Banks

Verified Member
From
Portland, OR
Ok, gave the 6 bank a little try over the weekend.. I was wrong. :eek: Still, may decide to practice that until I'm right. ;) :D

Worm

Verified Member
would anybody shoot that one ball 3 long in the corner?

Draw the cue back at the same time and leave on the rail

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
Let me be clear...

Let me be clear...

Worm said:

All those crazy shots I used to shoot when I was a kid? The Worm has taken over from me and now he is the one shooting them. Unfortunately, he makes a lot of them. If anyone wants a bank game that results in very few safeties, the Worm is your man. Good action. Easy to play with.

Beard

fred bentivegna said:
All those crazy shots I used to shoot when I was a kid? The Worm has taken over from me and now he is the one shooting them. Unfortunately, he makes a lot of them. If anyone wants a bank game that results in very few safeties, the Worm is your man. Good action. Easy to play with.

Beard

You're a good man, Worm. Don't let these senior citizens discourage you. Keep shootin.

Clare

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
Worm said:

You mean this? I didn't see it until you said it.

[CUETABLE]http://CueTable.com/P/?@2AaGA4DADW4FADn2PTeb2UaGA3UbEk3UQnl1UKKk4UbCX2kTeb2kYhQ2kSbW2kSCX@[/CUETABLE]

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
Nothing really wrong with it.

Nothing really wrong with it.

NH Steve said:
You mean this? I didn't see it until you said it.

[CUETABLE]http://CueTable.com/P/?@2AaGA4DADW4FADn2PTeb2UaGA3UbEk3UQnl1UKKk4UbCX2kTeb2kYhQ2kSbW2kSCX@[/CUETABLE]

Nothing really wrong, outside of it being low percentage to actually make it.
I personally like to keep a ball out of play because I can control the game better than my oppo. Needing one or all three, I would shoot the Worm's shot. That is the opposite philosophy. In those cases the thing I would be thinking of doing is putting all balls out of play back into play the first chance I get.

Beard

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
Cowboy Dennis said:
Banks,

You need two balls to win the match and Truman needs two games and two balls, would you really bank the 6 with the natural 2-rail scratch sitting so big? Something wrong with playing safe?

[CUETABLE]http://CueTable.com/P/?@2AaWC3BUoL4CUHM4DATV3ESDL4FATn4GOkL3HPRL4IRVM1PAXK@[/CUETABLE]
The score of the match should never alter your thinking on what shot to shoot when playing a game. The score of that particular game is all you should be concerned with, not the score of the match. The reason for that way of thinking is that you always shoot the shot that gives you the best chance of winning the game. If you shoot the shot that gives you the best chance of winning the game, wouldn't you think that you would win more matches regardless of the score of the match? Unless you think that shooting other than the best shot to win the game you're playing gives you a better chance of winning the match, but that's really not the way to think, I think.

Billy I.

Last edited:

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
fred bentivegna said:
That's a good point about playing the score. Why risk a 2 rail scratch at this point, especially since you have just become the recipient of a scratch from your oppo? Even tho the score is even, 3-3, you are a move up, and have the cue ball in hand. It is imperative that you maintain pressure and not make a mistake here.

I would not shoot the one ball in the side, however. I wouldnt touch that for a date with Lady Ga Ga. That ball is out of play and difficult to play safe off of. I would play a safe 2 rails off the head ball on the spot, and return the cue ball to the middle of the back rail. Since I have the favorable position after I put the cue ball on the end rail and I only need 2 balls to win, that is all the balls that I want to be in play. Since I am the favorite to get the first good shot, if I make that then I need one more and that ball should be in play and available for me to make it and win. At this point I can only win on this shot, and cant lose on the next, because even if I dont make the 2nd ball, my oppo now needs 2 but there is only 1 ball in play. (Remember the one ball I left hanging in the side)

Worst case scenario, my oppo spears in a long straight back from off the back rail. He still figures to have to make another one to get out. He is limited to shooting at the other ball that was on the spot because the one ball is out of play. No matter what, I always would have way the best of the total situation.

Insofar as to what would Piggy shoot? I know him all too well. He would bank the back ball on the spot cross corner no matter what the score was. Even tho he does hit that particular shot very well, those choices are the reason he gets beat when he should win.

Beard

Not bad thinking, but there are other ways of thinking in this situation as well. By pocketing the 1 ball in the side and repositioning the cue ball on the top rail in the center you are a favorite to get the first shot as well. Not only that but you will than have two balls to play position on for the game. But I do understand your thinking on keeping the 1 ball out of play, since you figure to have the first opportunity to score the next bank.

Personally I like pocketing the 1 ball and forcing my opponent to make a good shot, but either way of thinking in this situation is just splitting hairs.

Billy I.

Last edited:

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
fred bentivegna said:
That's a good point about playing the score. Why risk a 2 rail scratch at this point, especially since you have just become the recipient of a scratch from your oppo? Even tho the score is even, 3-3, you are a move up, and have the cue ball in hand. It is imperative that you maintain pressure and not make a mistake here.

I would not shoot the one ball in the side, however. I wouldnt touch that for a date with Lady Ga Ga. That ball is out of play and difficult to play safe off of. I would play a safe 2 rails off the head ball on the spot, and return the cue ball to the middle of the back rail. Since I have the favorable position after I put the cue ball on the end rail and I only need 2 balls to win, that is all the balls that I want to be in play. Since I am the favorite to get the first good shot, if I make that then I need one more and that ball should be in play and available for me to make it and win. At this point I can only win on this shot, and cant lose on the next, because even if I dont make the 2nd ball, my oppo now needs 2 but there is only 1 ball in play. (Remember the one ball I left hanging in the side)

Worst case scenario, my oppo spears in a long straight back from off the back rail. He still figures to have to make another one to get out. He is limited to shooting at the other ball that was on the spot because the one ball is out of play. No matter what, I always would have way the best of the total situation.

Insofar as to what would Piggy shoot? I know him all too well. He would bank the back ball on the spot cross corner no matter what the score was. Even tho he does hit that particular shot very well, those choices are the reason he gets beat when he should win.

Beard

Banking the 6 ball cross corner for most is only a good shot when you're trying to impress a backer, or when you have a bad game.:D

Billy I.

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
Cowboy Dennis said:
shw,

This safety gives up a free bank on the 4 ball cross-corner with an opportunity to put the cueball right back where it started from. It's no good. I'd play safe like this and let my oppo shoot the 3 balls on the spot.

Dennis

[CUETABLE]http://CueTable.com/P/?@2AaGA4DADW4FADn2PVJe2UaGA3UdhG2kVJe2kWlE3kPQi2kEOH@[/CUETABLE]
I like that shot as well, you figure to get the first shot with options. Worse case scenario you get more options.

Billy I.

John Brumback

Verified Member
wincardona said:
I like that shot as well, you figure to get the first shot with options. Worse case scenario you get more options.

Billy I.

Me too.
Everytime one of these shots come up,I'm always thinking of a race to 3 cause that's all I really play anymore Is at the dcc.Some of those 9ball players will just jack up and fire away at a straight back and If they make It
I'm setting there thinking why did I just give him that shot?

Another thing Is..If It's early In the tourny(like when the banks are) the straight backs are pretty easy to make.Pockets play easy for the first few days.Good to have your knowledge over here In the banks,Billy I. It's good to see some different perspectives.John B.

John Brumback

Verified Member
Cowboy Dennis said:
That shot is not available. I was sloppy with the WEI layout:eek: . Here's a look:

View attachment 2922

Yes dennis,I was thinking...why didn't I see that? I agree had It been out a little farther It might have been worth taking a look at.I do shoot that shot from time to time.Think I've made it...lets see,once In the last 10 years I think.Tough shot but free If you hit It good.John B.

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
Defensive options...

Defensive options...

wincardona said:

Billy I.

From my post # 18
...One more thing. With 3 balls on the spot, if you hit the middle ball thinly and just right, with the right speed, it will go across to the side rail and return to approx the same exact spot under the 1st ball, while the back ball travels down to the bottom rail and returns to the exact same spot as 3rd ball in line. It amounts to respotting the 3 balls. The cue ball should return to the back rail of course. Y'all try it and see what I mean.

Doctor Billy knows that too. That's why he suggested putting the q ball in the middle of the back rail. That would stymie my above move, but I would still be able to comfortably kick two rails to the 3 ball line from the middle of the cushion and be reasonably assured of clipping the 1st or 2nd ball and returning the cue ball to the end rail. It just happens to be a safety move that I have in my skill box. Not a hard shot at all. Bin' doin' dat one for years.
Beard

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
John Brumback said:
Another thing Is..If It's early In the tourny(like when the banks are) the straight backs are pretty easy to make.Pockets play easy for the first few days

what makes the pockets play easy in the beginning??
similar question re: straight backs??
new cloth???
ive always found it tricky to play on very new cloth because of the way the ball skids off the rails.
what adjustments do you guys make for very new cloth that get a chance to play on it alot??

John Brumback

Verified Member
lll said:
what makes the pockets play easy in the beginning??
similar question re: straight backs??
new cloth???
ive always found it tricky to play on very new cloth because of the way the ball skids off the rails.
what adjustments do you guys make for very new cloth that get a chance to play on it alot??

Hey Larry,Let me rephrase that.The tables don't play easier,just the pockets.
So what I mean Is that you don't have to be as precise with your ball pocketing skills early on In the tourny.The balls will slide down the rail and still go In sometimes.

Diamond dcc Greg even lets free play start a day or so early just to get the new cloth broke In. Which I think Is one of the best Ideas ever at a big tourny.That guy thinks of everything! He wants everyone to be able to play good.And that helps.

On new cloth,everything goes long.You just have to know that and adjust.
Hope that helps ya some.John B.

John Brumback

Verified Member
fred bentivegna said:
From my post # 18
...One more thing. With 3 balls on the spot, if you hit the middle ball thinly and just right, with the right speed, it will go across to the side rail and return to approx the same exact spot under the 1st ball, while the back ball travels down to the bottom rail and returns to the exact same spot as 3rd ball in line. It amounts to respotting the 3 balls. The cue ball should return to the back rail of course. Y'all try it and see what I mean.

Doctor Billy knows that too. That's why he suggested putting the q ball in the middle of the back rail. That would stymie my above move, but I would still be able to comfortably kick two rails to the 3 ball line from the middle of the cushion and be reasonably assured of clipping the 1st or 2nd ball and returning the cue ball to the end rail. It just happens to be a safety move that I have in my skill box. Not a hard shot at all. Bin' doin' dat one for years.
Beard

I did mean the end you break from.Not down there where the balls are.John B.

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
Of course

Of course

John Brumback said:
# 9,I didn't make It very clear which end of the table I was talking about.
John B.

I knew what you meant. Leaving the cue ball on the head of the table makes no sense.

Beard

Last edited: