Truman Hogue vs. "Piggy Bank" Rogers 2001 D.C.C.

CaliRed

Verified Member
From
Heart of the Midwest
I was brought up with some of these terms

left - could be inside/reverse or outside/running, depending on the hit on the object ball

right - same things as abovee

inside=reverse

outside=running

which basically means that if you use inside, when it comes in contact with the rail, it will have reverse spin on it which will "hold" it

when you use outside english, it will have running english, which means when it contacts the rail it will lengthen because the spin will spin it away

It's easy to picture if you take a cueball in your hand and slowly twist it against the rail. If you twist it one way, when the cueball rubs against the rail, it will twist away and lengthen out and haul ass

If you twist it the other way, it will "grab" against the rail because the spin is trying to make it go the opposite way, which "kills" or "holds" the ball

In the diagram below... depending on which side of the object ball the cueball comes off of, will determine whether left english is inside or reverse.

In the picture on the left.... hitting a tip of left on the cueball is reverse or inside

In the picture on the right... hitting a tip of left on the cueball, it is now called outside or running english.

Hope that confuses you more:) If anyone disagrees, please jump in.

I think we all might use different terms, but if someone says their using left hand english and I can't see the picture of what their talking about.. it tells me nothing. Left could be inside or outside, reverse or running.. I don't know.

If I saw a picture of what they were talking about, then if they said they used outside, I would know if they used left or right hand english. If they said I used reverse or running, I would know whether they used left or right english. If they said made the object ball lengthen out or hold up, I would know whether they used left or right hand english to do it with.

[cuetable]http://CueTable.com/P/?@2EdxB2LYLU3NYkU3PKoR2QKPV2YdxB1YevC2gYLU2gbXU3kKoR3kWPQ3kbPE2lKPV2lWHS2lbGu2qbpFIf_the_cueball_goes_off_to_the_left_of_the_object_ball..._when_you_use_a_tip_of_left_hand_english_on_the_cueball,_it_would_be_called_outside_english_or_running_english.__The_object_ball_will_lengthen_out_&ZZ2rcbfOnce_again,_if_the_cueball_goes_off_to_the_left_of_the_object_ball,_when_you_use_a_tip_of_right_hand_english,_it_would_be_called_inside_english_or_reverse_english.__The_object_ball_will_"hold"_or_shorten&ZZ3scdbThis_time_we_are_hitting_the_object_ball_so_the_cueball_goes_off_the_right_side_of_the_ball.__NOW_when_we_use_a_tip_of_left_hand_english,_it_has_inside_or_reverse_english.__The_object_ball_will_"hold"_or_shorten&ZZ3tbJyIf_we_hit_a_tip_of_right_hand_english_on_the_cueball,_it_will_have_outside_english_or_running_english.__The_object_ball_will_lengthen_out.&ZZ@[/cuetable]

John Brumback

Verified Member
lll said:
so can you explain what you meant with the above quote??

I'm gonna take a shot and say he means the (object ball) will reverse.
That's what you mean,right Greg? John B.

Banks

Verified Member
From
Portland, OR
Took me a while to even half understand some of the lingo.. I'm a math person, not vocab..

Inside I took to mean the part of the CB facing more to the "inside" of the table. I'd rather just stick with Left/Right, Top/Bottom.

The more I bank, the more I'm finding myself firing away.. even the bar owner said I was shooting well last night, all hopped up on dayquil and everything. Went through about $10 on .25c tables.

CaliRed

Verified Member
From
Heart of the Midwest
lll said:
so can you explain what you meant with the above quote??

right english by itself, tells no one anything unless they see the way the balls are positioned. If you see the layout, then if someone says they used right english on the cueball, we can determine what happens with both the cueball and the object ball.

both left or right english will have a certain effect on both the cueball and the object ball.

Looking at the WEI table, in one example left english means it is being hit with inside english which means that it will have reverse spin on it which means the cueball will kill against the rail due to reverse spin on it. The object ball will shorten up it's path off the rail.

Looking at the other example on the WEI table, that same left english, now means that it has outside english on it, which means it has running english on it. The cueball will take off when it hits the rail instead of killing it. The object ball this time, will lengthen out it's path.

Left english or right english can mean two different things happen for each of them, depending on the layout.

Left english could either mean the cueball is going to have inside or reverse english on it.. Inside or reverse means it dies/kills upon contact with the rail.
It could also mean that it has outside or running english on it, which means when it hits the rail, it's going to haul ass instead of die/kill.

Same thing goes for what happens to the object ball. Inside or reverse english will shorten it coming off the rail. Outside or running english will make it lengthen when it comes off the rail.

Reverse or inside mean the same thing when it applies to what the cueball does after contact with a object ball and then contacting a rail

Running or outside mean the same thing when it applies to what the cueball does after contact with a object ball and then contacting a rail.

Shortening or lengthening is what happens to the object ball when it comes off the rail. If the cueball is hit with inside/reverse english, the the object ball will shorten it's path after hitting the rail and the cueball will die/kill off the rail when it hits it. If you hit the cueball with outside/running english, the object ball will lengthen out and the cueball with spin away with speed instead of killing itself.

What the cueball does and the object ball does, is determined on whether inside/reverse is used or outside/running is used. Inside can be left or right english and Outside can be left or right english, it all depends on how the shot lies.

I hope that's not even more confusing:eek:

Maybe someone has a better way to put it.

CaliRed

Verified Member
From
Heart of the Midwest
John Brumback said:
I'm gonna take a shot and say he means the (object ball) will reverse.
That's what you mean,right Greg? John B.
If you hit a cueball into a rail, it's either going to have reverse english on it (which can also be called inside english) or it will have running english on it (which can also be called outside english) or if you hit it with no english, it won't do a damn thing but come back and hit your stick and drive it into your nads.

As far as what happens with the object ball, if the cueball is hit into it with inside/reverse english, then the object ball will shorten/hold up.

Damn, someone come to my rescue here !!!:)

Does anyone else use inside or reverse to describe the english put on the cueball? It can be left or right, all depends on the way the balls lie.

Last edited:

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
[CUETABLE]http://CueTable.com/P/?@4AALW1PALU@[/CUETABLE]

It's real simple guys. If you shoot the 1 ball with right english(above layout) and you shoot the ball to your right, it's inside/reverse.

If you shoot it with right and cut the 1 to your left, it's outside/running.

It's reverse or running english because of what the cueball does after it hits a rail. It either holds up(reverses) the natural (center-ball) angle or it opens it up(running). It can also describe what happens to the object ball on some shots.

The terms still apply if the cueball doesn't hit a rail.

The equal and opposite is true if you shoot the 1 ball with left.

To add to the confusion, it also depends on which rail the cueball strikes first after contact.
In the example below the 1 ball has reverse on it but the cueball has running english on it because of the rail it struck first after contact. In either case it's proper to say you shot the one with "inside" even though the cueball has running english on it.

[CUETABLE]http://CueTable.com/P/?@4AALW1PALU4UALW3UNlk2UcAv1kALU4kBRI4kbRL4kSCl3kaaC1kOrG@[/CUETABLE]
Dennis

Last edited:

CaliRed

Verified Member
From
Heart of the Midwest
Banks said:
Took me a while to even half understand some of the lingo.. I'm a math person, not vocab..

Inside I took to mean the part of the CB facing more to the "inside" of the table. I'd rather just stick with Left/Right, Top/Bottom.

The more I bank, the more I'm finding myself firing away.. even the bar owner said I was shooting well last night, all hopped up on dayquil and everything. Went through about $10 on .25c tables.

in the 1st Wei below, I drew the cueball striking just to the left of the spot. I struck it with 2 tips of left.

After the cueball hits the rail, it is going to have outside english or running english on it and it will grab a hold of the rail which will lengthen out the cueball's natural rebound away from the rail and it will pick up speed off the rail and it will haul ass!

In the 2nd Wei table, I aim just the matter of a inch on the other side of the spot and still hit with 2 tips of left. Now, when the cueball hits the rail, it will have reverse or inside english on it, which upon contact, will kill the speed of the cueball and the rebound angle will be less so, because of the reverse spin on the ball.

A person could setup a shot and say.... hit the cueball with left. Depending on how the balls lie, it could mean the cueball was hit with inside/reverse or outside/running english.

A person could setup a shot and say... hit the cueball with inside english. Depending on how the balls lie, you would use left or right english.

[CUETABLE]http://CueTable.com/P/?@1PALV1kALV4kCKk4kbqJ2kNcQ3uAYU@[/CUETABLE]

[CUETABLE]http://CueTable.com/P/?@1PATV1kATV3kCSk4kbfv4kSEX3uAYU@[/CUETABLE]

CaliRed

Verified Member
From
Heart of the Midwest
Cowboy Dennis said:
It's real simple guys. If you shoot the 1 ball with right english(above layout) and you shoot the ball to your right, it's inside/reverse.

If you shoot it with right and cut the 1 to your left, it's outside/running.

It's reverse or running english because of what the cueball does after it hits a rail. It either holds up(reverses) the natural (center-ball) angle or it opens it up(running). It can also describe what happens to the object ball on some shots.

The terms still apply if the cueball doesn't hit a rail.

The equal and opposite is true if you shoot the 1 ball with left.

To add to the confusion, it also depends on which rail the cueball strikes first after contact.
In the example below the 1 ball has reverse on it but the cueball has running english on it because of the rail it struck first after contact. In either case it's proper to say you shot the one with "inside" even though the cueball has running english on it.

I agree 100% with all of these statements.

John Brumback

Verified Member
Idea maybe

Idea maybe

How about we just say throw or hold.How bout that. Greg,I told you banks were hard to describe In writing,now look what you went and done.
You've got everybody cornfused now.hahahaha
Yeah throw em or hold em.

everyone around here understands throw and hold...don't they?
I didn't realize there were so many terms,wow. John B.

CaliRed

Verified Member
From
Heart of the Midwest
John Brumback said:
How about we just say throw or hold.How bout that. Greg,I told you banks were hard to describe In writing,now look what you went and done.
You've got everybody cornfused now.hahahaha
Yeah throw em or hold em.

everyone around here understands throw and hold...don't they?
I didn't realize there were so many terms,wow. John B.

hehe.. wow! I thought all that stuff was universal...

throw 'em or hold 'em... we talking pool or poker? :D

It is interesting to see how everyone explains things and what terms they use. We all know that whether someone says they hit it with that funky monkey stuff or they used inside, stun, forcefollow with a hint of drag.... we seem to all know what happens with stuff after we hit it.

SInce you've went out teaching some... what do you find when you talk to people... that you have to come to terms with what you mean and what they mean, when the say something?

I didn't realize I was so far off in left field. We need more opinions here to find out whether I'm a wack job or not:D:confused:

Banks

Verified Member
From
Portland, OR
CaliRed said:

It is interesting to see how everyone explains things and what terms they use. We all know that whether someone says they hit it with that funky monkey stuff or they used inside, stun, forcefollow with a hint of drag.... we seem to all know what happens with stuff after we hit it.

SInce you've went out teaching some... what do you find when you talk to people... that you have to come to terms with what you mean and what they mean, when the say something?

I didn't realize I was so far off in left field. We need more opinions here to find out whether I'm a wack job or not:D:confused:

Whenever I've got to figure something out, you'll usually see me standing at the table and spinning my finger around in one circle and then another until I figure out what I'm trying to do and how I'm gonna do it.

I learned early on in league that for a lot of people, you have to boil things down to the basics and tell them in a way that is easily understandable. My guess would be it's the same thing, but I'm sure most of the people he's teaching are quite a bit more advanced than your average league player.

I just like to bang em around. :eek:

John Brumback

Verified Member
CaliRed said:

Never had a bit of a problem. I think most of the people I've worked with had a good Idea what I was talking about or showing.However It's alot eaiser to show than to tell.imo After looking back through these posts about this..
I think Blackie didn't explain his shot like he meant to.I could be wrong but I think that's where It kinda got sidetracked If you will..I'm not blaming him and maybe he'll tell us again. and maybe he'll tell me to shut up.Hope not,I don't mean It in a bad way.But I really don't think this will be much of an issue very often.John B. Ps just got done giving a watch to the dvd,Greg Thank you
Very nice!!

Banks

Verified Member
From
Portland, OR
CaliRed said:
Do you use inside bang or outside bang?

Or that reverse bang?

When you want to impress, do you use a hard bang or a soft bang?:D

The simple answer is yes.

Some ya gotta bang inside, some you gotta bang outside. It all depends on how they look. :eek:

When I want to impress, I bang em hard and fast. The slow bang keeps em on their toes, but it's best to get it in and move on to the next. ;)

I play my shots the same way. :p

John Brumback

Verified Member
blackeee said:
Don't think that bank can be made with low inside.It already wants to long and inside is gonna make it go longer. I hit it like John does; center right.

Yes I think right here Is where It gets funny.Blackeee you said you hit It like I do.So that means your hitting It with right hand spin on the cueball,Right?
Well now are you saying that inside would be left english??? cause you said It can't be made with low Inside?? If that's right your calling "inside" to the left."left" (meaning left hand english)
Most people that I have worked with would call that Inside. "Inside" (meaning right hand english) ( the way to make It)Sorry to question you bud.Wi'll get It straight.John B.

Last edited:

blackeee

Verified Member
From
Jackson, Tn
John Brumback said:
Never had a bit of a problem. I think most of the people I've worked with had a good Idea what I was talking about or showing.However It's alot eaiser to show than to tell.imo After looking back through these posts about this..
I think Blackie didn't explain his shot like he meant to.I could be wrong but I think that's where It kinda got sidetracked If you will..I'm not blaming him and maybe he'll tell us again. and maybe he'll tell me to shut up.Hope not,I don't mean It in a bad way.But I really don't think this will be much of an issue very often.John B. Ps just got done giving a watch to the dvd,Greg Thank you
Very nice!!

Well shucks John. I thought it was pretty simple. Hit the shot with center RIGHT which will shorten the bank up. Yep you're right {meaning your inside}. That's what I meant to say. Now I'm screwed up!

Last edited:

philwelch

Verified Member
From
Plainfield,IL
blackeee said:
Well shucks John. I thought it was pretty simple. Hit the shot with center RIGHT which will shorten the bank up. Just like you said. Left, Or INSIDE will make it go WAY too long.
When you say hit the ball with right I'm thinking that's inside english. Left english would make the shot go long.

blackeee

Verified Member
From
Jackson, Tn
philwelch said:
When you say hit the ball with right I'm thinking that's inside english. Left english would make the shot go long.

You're right. Right is inside on this shot. Musta been drinking. No, I don't even drink!:)

John Brumback

Verified Member
blackeee said:
You're right. Right is inside on this shot. Musta been drinking. No, I don't even drink!:)

Yea! I knew what you meant.And I like how you shoot that shot also.
Good going.John B.