Buddy Hall vs Nick Varner vs Gary Spaeth

Terry Ardeno

Verified Member
From
Washington, Pa
Who would win, in their prime, playing 9B banks? In their prime, if they had raced to say 50 in a round-robin, what order of finish do you envision?

I would like to hear you fellas thoughts on these 3 great players as they compare with each other.

Thanks.

SactownTom

From
Sacramento CA
I never saw Buddy in his prime playing banks, but Nick and Gary both, IMO, played better with age in Banks.

Nick is a very strong bank pool player I would give an edge to him over Gary and then Buddy.

I have seen Garry play Banks and One Pocket in person many times, and he was great.

I only saw Nick play money games (one pocket and banks) in the 80s in Memphis and the surrounding area.

I did see all three play 9 ball in big tournaments. Buddy was the best.

blackeee

Verified Member
From
Jackson, Tn
Terry Ardeno said:
Who would win, in their prime, playing 9B banks? In their prime, if they had raced to say 50 in a round-robin, what order of finish do you envision?

I would like to hear you fellas thoughts on these 3 great players as they compare with each other.

Thanks.

Not much doubt in my mind. Spaeth,Varner,

blackeee

Verified Member
From
Jackson, Tn
Terry Ardeno said:

Thanks.

Not much doubt in my mind. Spaeth,Varner,Buddy.

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
One winner, then a tie

One winner, then a tie

Gary was the superior banker. Between Buddy and Nicky, I wouldnt know which way to bet -- and I have played all three banks.
Full rack banks, an ever larger edge for Gary and I would still call the next level about a tie.

Beard

MARK..HOU TX

Verified Member
I had only been playin pool for a few months in 69 ..only bank pool match I've ever seen was Truman Hogue at Le Cue..can't remember if he was playin Grady or Red..watched for about an hour and I don't remember him missin a ball..and woofin at all the sweaters at the same time..Is he considered one the top bankers of the last 30-50 yrs.?

John Brumback

Verified Member
I'm picking Gary,without a doubt. Gary just played alot more bankpool than they did. Buddy and Nick are both great grinders at bank but that's still not enough to beat somebody that puts up alot of high runs like Gary did. Man, when he got In stroke and started waving that cue around like some kind of wand, you knew you were In trouble!! LOL I miss ole Gary. I got to learn alot from him for sure.

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
MARK..HOU TX said:
I had only been playin pool for a few months in 69 ..only bank pool match I've ever seen was Truman Hogue at Le Cue..can't remember if he was playin Grady or Red..watched for about an hour and I don't remember him missin a ball..and woofin at all the sweaters at the same time..Is he considered one the top bankers of the last 30-50 yrs.?

Yeah, He did all that playing Red 8/7 of course he didn't win.;)
Rod.

newfosgatesucks

Verified Member
Being the age I am I lack first-hand seeing it, but Spaeth has to be it. I can't imagine anyone betting against Spaeth after seeing his prowess with High-octane long-angle cross-corners, and rifled in str8 backs.

My OPINION is that a Young Buddy would defeat a young Nick, and an Aged Nick would overcome an aged Buddy...Prime to prime I estimate is close.

The young Buddy played a lot with E.Taylor, and from what I hear had several run-ins with Bugs. Obviously, being the best 9 ball player of his time took priority over the banks.

Though my opinion has less merit than some.

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
Wud'nt even

Wud'nt even

newfosgatesucks said:
Being the age I am I lack first-hand seeing it, but Spaeth has to be it. I can't imagine anyone betting against Spaeth after seeing his prowess with High-octane long-angle cross-corners, and rifled in str8 backs.

My OPINION is that a Young Buddy would defeat a young Nick, and an Aged Nick would overcome an aged Buddy...Prime to prime I estimate is close.

The young Buddy played a lot with E.Taylor, and from what I hear had several run-ins with Bugs. Obviously, being the best 9 ball player of his time took priority over the banks.

Though my opinion has less merit than some.

As far as I know, Buddy and Bugs played banks only once (at Johnston City). I sweated it. Bugs played Buddy 10 to 8. Bugs won decisively. Buddy played great and lost.

Contrary to what you might have heard on this forum re players who I could'nt have "possibly" beaten on that beat list, I played and spotted Buddy 8 to 7 until he was about 30 years old. (it was not a very good game, however, but that is the only way he would play). That was the price I paid for having won a couple times even, on the bar and big table (Johnston City again).

Nicky didnt play me even banks until I was in my 40s.

This will be seen as bragging, only to some people. This is the first response I have made to aspersions cast on my "real speed" several months ago when I was on hiatus from the forum.

Beard

A little more info. Buddy played bank pool 3 times in the month or so he spent in Chicago at North Shore Billiards. He lost to Tough Tony Brewer and Johnny Boy Skinner. He beat the white guy, me, but at the same time I had also beaten Johnny Boy and Tough Tony. The dollar won and loss amount for all those matches were all in the $1200 range.

(Just to be completely honest, in case our resident "historian," Oldschool happened to be hanging around then, after I beat Tough Tony and Johnny Boy, they each came back a week later and beat me. Never could make that mixture consistent.)

Nicky was at North Shore around the same times for about 6 weeks. He played zero bank games. He won pretty good playing onepocket, however. Only falling prey to Artie at the end.

newfosgatesucks

Verified Member
That kills me, when You beat player 'A' who beat player 'B' and then player 'B' snaps you off...

fred bentivegna said:
As far as I know, Buddy and Bugs played banks only once (at Johnston City). I sweated it. Bugs played Buddy 10 to 8. Bugs won decisively. Buddy played great and lost.

Contrary to what you might have heard on this forum re players who I could'nt have "possibly" beaten on that beat list, I played and spotted Buddy 8 to 7 until he was about 30 years old. (it was not a very good game, however, but that is the only way he would play). That was the price I paid for having won a couple times even, on the bar and big table (Johnston City again).

Nicky didnt play me even banks until I was in my 40s.

This will be seen as bragging, only to some people. This is the first response I have made to aspersions cast on my "real speed" several months ago when I was on hiatus from the forum.

Beard

A little more info. Buddy played bank pool 3 times in the month or so he spent in Chicago at North Shore Billiards. He lost to Tough Tony Brewer and Johnny Boy Skinner. He beat the white guy, me, but at the same time I had also beaten Johnny Boy and Tough Tony. The dollar won and loss amount for all those matches were all in the $1200 range.

(Just to be completely honest, in case our resident "historian," Oldschool happened to be hanging around then, after I beat Tough Tony and Johnny Boy, they each came back a week later and beat me. Never could make that mixture consistent.)

Nicky was at North Shore around the same times for about 6 weeks. He played zero bank games. He won pretty good playing onepocket, however. Only falling prey to Artie at the end.