You vs. opponent 13 wwyd

t-dog

Verified Member
t-dog - you would have known there was a shot with the 13ball in the beginning, if you had soaked up the Ghost's opening words :heh :) ----->

There-in lies the problem. I am getting on the hill with banking the 3 then wondering why I didnt win the game, should I lose. I need to think more like that and listen and SLOW down...lol Donnie McCaughy here in dsm said at one time....find the best safe you can shoot, then find a better one. The same could be said for when you have many offensive options.

LSJohn

Verified Member
From
monett missouri
There-in lies the problem. I am getting on the hill with banking the 3 then wondering why I didnt win the game, should I lose. I need to think more like that and listen and SLOW down...lol Donnie McCaughy here in dsm said at one time....find the best safe you can shoot, then find a better one. The same could be said for when you have many offensive options.

Hey, I hadn't thought of Don for the SS Classic. He must be close to the right age, and I'd be shocked if he weren't still playing. Do you have contact with him now? If so, be sure to let him know, t-dog.

onepockethacker

Verified Member
The way I look at this WWYD is the cue ball is in the best place you are going to get for the 8 ball and its an easy shape to go back and forth for the 13.. I like my option against anyone however I don't think there is a wrong choice here

3RAILKICK

Verified Member
13 ball 2 railer

13 ball 2 railer

How makeable is the two railer...or is 'real close' what's relevant?(making 9)

Dr Bill says to hit it long, pocket speed..I take this to mean contact foot short rail to have a better chance of pocketing the 9 and sliding away enough up the long rail to leave the pocket open for the 8, and then the nearby 13. If the 9 is not pocketed, the 13 stays hidden by the 8, if hit well.

John H early on said the cb/13 lays perfect for the two railer where it sits and sets up for the 8 ball as next shot if 9 goes.

Cory is pretty sure his cb after shooting the 3 ball bank will be as good or better for the 13 two railer than where it started.

IIRC another poster said the 13 needed a little cut(to the right?) to come close.

Ghost advises at the outset that all four balls are viable starting choices. With that said, I accept that the 13 will clear the 8 coming off the first rail, headed to the second rail. (Camera angle distortion makes it look close...note the two views of the 3 ball bank angle..one pretty much head on, the other with more cut)

Unless distorted, the cb to 13 looks like on the line out of the corner, thru the
third diamond, with 13 just off the rail.

Is this the natural line? Hit with stun? Any left?

How far up second rail do you want/need to hit for the 13 to release to get to the corner at pocket speed? In this humidity?

Will the humid conditions change the choice of preferred opening shot?

//

sorry, if these items are already discussed or obvious to everyone cept me:sorry

thanks

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
The way I look at this WWYD is the cue ball is in the best place you are going to get for the 8 ball and its an easy shape to go back and forth for the 13.. I like my option against anyone however I don't think there is a wrong choice here

I feel strongly that for a player that plays a little better than me (B-player) and below to a C player, banking the 13ball is the correct shot. You said that the reason you would choose the 8ball cut over the 13ball bank is because when the 13ball ends up on the bottom rail the shot isn't a strong shot, I agree. If that's the only problem with the shot then it's to me a good shot because i'm going to make sure the 13ball doesn't end up on the bottom rail. Try looking at it this way, you will miss the 8ball cut more often than when I shoot the 13ball and have it end up on the bottom rail. Plus the 13ball option carries a much higher residual value than the 8ball when missed. I shot the 13ball option on my table and was very impressed with the results I got with the shot every time I shot it. To me it's the correct shot (for me) and one that would be hard for me to pass on.

Have a nice day.:)

Dr. Bill

onepockethacker

Verified Member
I feel strongly that for a player that plays a little better than me (B-player) and below to a C player, banking the 13ball is the correct shot. You said that the reason you would choose the 8ball cut over the 13ball bank is because when the 13ball ends up on the bottom rail the shot isn't a strong shot, I agree. If that's the only problem with the shot then it's to me a good shot because i'm going to make sure the 13ball doesn't end up on the bottom rail. Try looking at it this way, you will miss the 8ball cut more often than when I shoot the 13ball and have it end up on the bottom rail. Plus the 13ball option carries a much higher residual value than the 8ball when missed. I shot the 13ball option on my table and was very impressed with the results I got with the shot every time I shot it. To me it's the correct shot (for me) and one that would be hard for me to pass on.

Have a nice day.:)

Dr. Bill

You could be right. Its a close call for any of the options.. I think this is one scenario in which whatever option you normally hit the best you should do. Like I said I don't think there is a wrong choice.

P.S. remember one thing... im going to make the 8 into the 9 way more than you will make the 2 railer... just saying:D

have a nice day yourself:)

Mkbtank

Verified Member
From
Philly Pa
You vs. opponent 13 wwyd

You could be right. Its a close call for any of the options.. I think this is one scenario in which whatever option you normally hit the best you should do. Like I said I don't think there is a wrong choice.

P.S. remember one thing... im going to make the 8 into the 9 way more than you will make the 2 railer... just saying:D

have a nice day yourself:)

I agree and am definitely cutting the 8. % of making the first ball are highest (for me) on a cut rather than a 2 rail (or even 1 rail) bank. And it carries almost natural position on the next ball. And (as Rob pointed out) you are in a good spot to cut this ball.

8 all day.

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
I agree and am definitely cutting the 8. % of making the first ball are highest (for me) on a cut rather than a 2 rail (or even 1 rail) bank. And it carries almost natural position on the next ball. And (as Rob pointed out) you are in a good spot to cut this ball.

8 all day.

Mitch, I believe that you fit nicely into the area where the 13ball option is right.

Have a nice day

Dr. Bill

Mkbtank

Verified Member
From
Philly Pa
You vs. opponent 13 wwyd

Mitch, I believe that you fit nicely into the area where the 13ball option is right.

Have a nice day

Dr. Bill

Thanks Dr. But as my mom always said... "You're entitled to your wrong opinion". Have a nice day 😃😇

Island Drive

Verified Member
From
florence, colorado
I know I'm making two ''for sure'' by banking the 3, and I'll then be able to play a Very controllable 3 rail draw shot to get on the eight ball. It's almost a 50/50 to get three balls from here, providing I don't hit the three too hard.

I didn't read Any posts, I've been packing/moving/unpacking/ and dealing with jobbers on a daily basis. So give me a break....and a ball :D

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
Unless distorted, the cb to 13 looks like on the line out of the corner, thru the
third diamond, with 13 just off the rail.

Is this the natural line?

thanks

lets number the diamonds from the opposite corner so the cue ball is at 8
and your 3 is 5
thats the natural 2 rail bank line depending on table and weather condition
so short version
yes its the natural line

Mkbtank

Verified Member
From
Philly Pa
You vs. opponent 13 wwyd

Have a nice day

Dr. Bill

Ok great. We have our first prop bet :)

I'll shoot the cut. You double bank the 13 and we'll see who sinks the 9 most often out of 10 shots. Say 200?

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
From
Ghosttown
Well, I never gave my choice here...I also think it's an extremely close choice between the various options...I am surprised though that nobody wants to shoot the 9 straight in with a lot of outside english - medium speed - attempting to get shape for a cut on the 8 next - and if you don't get that shape, you should end up with either the straight back on the 3, or a 2-railer or 3-railer on the 8 or the 13...all that said...after trying to decide on all the options...

I believe I've decided to join the camp of Jeff, Dan, and island-drive Bill, and choose to bank the 3 straight back...:heh

- Ghost

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
Ok great. We have our first prop bet :)

I'll shoot the cut. You double bank the 13 and we'll see who sinks the 9 most often out of 10 shots. Say 200?

Mitch, you're missing the point, it's not about sinking the 9ball, it's about winning. It has just as much to do when you don't sink the 9ball as it does when you do. Jmo.

Dr. Bill

onepockethacker

Verified Member
Well, I never gave my choice here...I also think it's an extremely close choice between the various options...I am surprised though that nobody wants to shoot the 9 straight in with a lot of outside english - medium speed - attempting to get shape for a cut on the 8 next - and if you don't get that shape, you should end up with either the straight back on the 3, or a 2-railer or 3-railer on the 8 or the 13...all that said...after trying to decide on all the options...

I believe I've decided to join the camp of Jeff, Dan, and island-drive Bill, and choose to bank the 3 straight back...:heh

- Ghost

Ghost please tell me your joking about playing the 9 ball first

Mkbtank

Verified Member
From
Philly Pa
You vs. opponent 13 wwyd

Mitch, you're missing the point, it's not about sinking the 9ball, it's about winning. It has just as much to do when you don't sink the 9ball as it does when you do. Jmo.

Dr. Bill

I get that Bill. I also believe that the highest % chance to win the game starts with the shot which will allow me to keep shooting when beginning my turn and run out. I believe for me that I will win more games shooting the 8 first than if I shoot the 13.

I don't think it's a big disparity, but I say I'll win more with the 8 first. We can prop bet the rest of the game with our choices but it's not that important really. I'm not as fired up as when I wrote my last post, so let's just agree to disagree. Unless you are now fired up Ha

onepockethacker

Verified Member

Dr. Bill

Its a close call either way. All the options are close..

Jeff sparks

Verified Member
From
Houston, Texas
Jeff, I dont think its about who runs two or three from here but who wins the GAME.

I have a return prop bet for you. $100 per game. You bank the 3 and play from there, I'll two rail the stripe and play from there.

I'm saving a small roll for you on this prop bet. See you in Houston or Derby

Jim

Nope, you have the other pocket and I'll bank the 3, ball score is 6/5 you, play a race to 3 for a couple of hundred. Let me know when you want to play it.

You want to pick and choose, that's not available, play all three or take the other pocket and it's my shot, I'll bank the 3 to start each game. Remember, you're the better player between us and I stated two equal players, but I'll risk it anyway.

onepockethacker

Verified Member
Nope, you have the other pocket and I'll bank the 3, ball score is 6/5 you, play a race to 3 for a couple of hundred. Let me know when you want to play it.

You want to pick and choose, that's not available, play all three or take the other pocket and it's my shot, I'll bank the 3 to start each game. Remember, you're the better player between us and I stated two equal players, but I'll risk it anyway.

If you like your option than you shouldn't have a problem with jim's proposal.. its exactly fair.. that being said I will shoot the 8 against you guys:D