You vs. Him #237

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
This is from a decade ago so please tolerate the foggy ball edges, technology has improved since then:).

It's your 1st shot after the break. What would you do?

youhim.jpg

youhim1.jpg

youhim2.jpg

ball numbers.jpg

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
I'd load up with middle ball outside spin and hope to get behind something.
Might get a lucky kiss from one of the balls by my pocket. :)
Rod.

Attachments

• Clipboard01.jpg
    Clipboard01.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 0

bstroud

Verified Member
I know it's a difficult shot from where the cue ball is but if you can shoot straight into the 7 ball driving it 2 rails into the other balls you stand a good chance of making a ball or at least positioning most of the balls near your pocket. Just stop the cue ball.

Bill S.

onepockethacker

Verified Member
I know it's a difficult shot from where the cue ball is but if you can shoot straight into the 7 ball driving it 2 rails into the other balls you stand a good chance of making a ball or at least positioning most of the balls near your pocket. Just stop the cue ball.

Bill S.

Thats the shot Bill. The only difference I would do is slide the cueball forward a couple of inches in case the 15 ball leaks out toward you it will be less likely to leave a shot on it

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
Both Rodney and Stroud have come up with excellent shots and its a matter of angles that would decide for me which shot to shoot. If the 6ball was a natural hit into the pink 4ball which would produce good action with both balls then that option would be my choice. If not, then depending on the angle the 7ball offers (if inviting) if doable I would shoot that option. If both options carried the right angle I would shoot Rodney's shot for the simplicity of it alone. Rodney's shot is an almost mistake free option that could produce a game winner.

Dr. Bill

Tom Wirth

Verified Member
From
Delray Beach, Florida
Depending on if the angle allows, I would like to play an approximate half ball hit on the seven banking it toward my pocket. My goal would be to bank the seven and allow the cue ball to glance off the one and or fifteen sending several balls toward my pocket. The cue ball will take a natural angle off either ball, fall to the end rail and continue back up table on my opponent's side rail.

The only drawback to this shot is if I fail to hit the one or fifteen or if I hit the one full in the face which from the pictures I don't see happening. If this angle is natural it will be easy to see and execute. If not that too will be obvious from the players perspective.

Tom

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
From
Ghosttown
Would have to be at the table to see if the angle is available for this shot - it would be strong, if available - in picture #3 the angle looks like it might be there...the shot being...

Approx. a 3/4ths of a ball hit on the 10 ball, sending the 10 off of the long rail and into the 12 and 11 balls, maybe making the 11, or if not, putting all three balls in primo positions in front of your pocket...the question with the shot being..whether that 3/4ths hit on the 10 can provide enough sideways-deflection for the cueball to pass between the seven and the six and thus have the cueball end up behind the stack, snookering your opponent from the balls now by your pocket.

- Ghost

ulikastr8pool

Well-Known-Member
From
NYC
Would have to be at the table to see if the angle is available for this shot - it would be strong, if available - in picture #3 the angle looks like it might be there...the shot being...

Approx. a 3/4ths of a ball hit on the 10 ball, sending the 10 off of the long rail and into the 12 and 11 balls, maybe making the 11, or if not, putting all three balls in primo positions in front of your pocket...the question with the shot being..whether that 3/4ths hit on the 10 can provide enough sideways-deflection for the cueball to pass between the seven and the six and thus have the cueball end up behind the stack, snookering your opponent from the balls now by your pocket.

- Ghost

I like this shot. Not sure if the angle allows you to get the cue ball in between the 6 and 7, but it looks like if you follow the cue ball softly into the stack (towards the 2) you should come out good.

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
This option is also a very good option if the angle allows it. However, I agree with the Ghost's way of playing the cue ball for a couple of reasons not because it would be the most effective result but because to me it looks the more natural way of playing the shot. The strength of this option is in controlling the cue ball, either method will open up the balls by your pocket but what the shooter can't afford to happen is to allow his opponent to clean up the work done by the shooter. The 10ball sits very high which to me suggest that in order to drop on the 2ball you would have to....follow through... the 10ball to get the desired result. If given the option of either following through a ball or playing a natural carom off a ball to achieve basically the same result you would fare better... in terms of consistency....by playing the natural carom method of shooting the shot. I believe that the angle for the Ghost's shot is more natural which would make his option much easier to feel the exactness with the cue ball. Also, with the Ghost's option you can afford to brush the top of the 6ball and still end up in good shape. However, if the 10ball was sitting lower (about a diamond) and the cue ball was closer to the 10ball I would then very possibly choose the option of following through the 10ball to drop on the 2ball because of the execution of the shot being made easier. With all that said both options are very good shots, providing you can control the cue ball, and I have played both shots many times with great success.

By the way, it hasn't been confirmed that the angle for the Ghost's shot is a natural one. Just sayin.:)

Dr. Bill

Last edited:

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
I think I'll wait a while before going too going crazy.
View attachment 8052

Sorry Frank, you're much too generous with your choice considering how the balls lye. This is Imo a time to attack as opposed to playing a timid shot, especially when your attack has a built in safety attached to it. You're usually spot on with your shot choices, however, this is one of the rare times that I wouldn't mind being your opponent.:D

Dr. Bill

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
Depending on if the angle allows, I would like to play an approximate half ball hit on the seven banking it toward my pocket. My goal would be to bank the seven and allow the cue ball to glance off the one and or fifteen sending several balls toward my pocket. The cue ball will take a natural angle off either ball, fall to the end rail and continue back up table on my opponent's side rail.

The only drawback to this shot is if I fail to hit the one or fifteen or if I hit the one full in the face which from the pictures I don't see happening. If this angle is natural it will be easy to see and execute. If not that too will be obvious from the players perspective.

Tom
Tom, your shot looks to be a very good option if you're able to control the cue ball. Looks to me that your shot could work out great or not so great depending on where you go into the 1ball with whitey. This type of a shot just about always carries a possible scratch outcome unless you're confident the angle offered is one that clearly will send you away from the pocket. However, if I ever see you attempt this shot I would feel good about you getting the results needed because of your understanding of all shots. I guess what i'm trying to say is...Handle with care.:)

But of course you did explain all the possible problems with the option in your original post. :eek::sorry

Dr. Bill

Last edited:

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
From
Ghosttown

- Ghost

And there are also 2 other benefits included with my shot that my esteemed colleague Dr. Billy :) neglected to mention in his summation...

At the moment none of the balls in the stack go in my opponent's pocket - my shot keeps it that way...and secondly, my shot will remove the 10 ball, which is a bad ball for me - it's a scratch in the side shot for me, and it's a ball that my opponent could use as a blocker, by leaving me up-table in the top right corner of the table.

- Ghost

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
And there are also 2 other benefits included with my shot that my esteemed colleague Dr. Billy :) neglected to mention in his summation...

At the moment none of the balls in the stack go in my opponent's pocket - my shot keeps it that way...and secondly, my shot will remove the 10 ball, which is a bad ball for me - it's a scratch in the side shot for me, and it's a ball that my opponent could use as a blocker, by leaving me up-table in the top right corner of the table.

- Ghost
Points well taken, I have at times went softly into the stack to play a safety only to see that the most subtle of ball movement create a dead ball for my opponent:frus And the point that you brought up about moving a ball from a bad position to a better position should not be undervalued, especially if the moved ball now becomes a threat for your opponent to deal with. Your points are very valid and quite often observations as such go unnoticed. As we evaluate options, too often do we not recognize the value in understanding the subtle parts of a shot (such as the points you brought up)that should be factored into the decision making process.

By the way, I was comparing your way of playing off the 10ball as opposed to Bill's way. Both ways the 10ball will be moved to a better position. However, if we're debating the different options, such as Strouds..Tom's...and Rodney's option then the moving of the 10ball with your option should be considered as an added value for your option as opposed to the other options that don't move the 10ball.
Dr. Bill

Last edited:

onepockethacker

Verified Member
Points well taken, I have at times went softly into the stack to play a safety only to see that the most subtle of ball movement create a dead ball for my opponent:frus And the point that you brought up about moving a ball from a bad position to a better position should not be undervalued, especially if the moved ball now becomes a threat for your opponent to deal with. Your points are very valid and quite often observations as such go unnoticed. As we evaluate options, too often do we not recognize the value in understanding the subtle parts of a shot (such as the points you brought up)that should be factored into the decision making process.

By the way, I was comparing your way of playing off the 10ball as opposed to Bill's way. Both ways the 10ball will be moved to a better position. However, if we're debating the different options, such as Strouds..Tom's...and Rodney's option then the moving of the 10ball with your option should be considered as an added value for your option as opposed to the other options that don't move the 10ball.
Dr. Bill

Weak as skim milk!!

8andout

Verified Member
i would shoot the 10 off the rail and pocket the 11 sending the cue between the 6-7 and running out the rack.