WWYD - Two top 1p movers battle it out

Billy Jackets

Verified Member
If I am one of the top two, who can question my decision,? lol It's good to be the king!

cincy_kid

Verified Member
From
Cincinnati, OH
Looks like you have to cut it a hair to your right and that would send whitey over to toward the side, wouldn't it? Great shot if you could pull it off though!!
What if you shot it though with just CB in mind. So shoot it straight ahead so that the CB follows to long rail and end rail. The 9 may come short but that's ok too! You may have to cut it to miss the 6 and if that's the case, no bueno.

Tnusbaum

Verified Member
I like kicking 2/3 cushions in front of the one ball. I don't have the skill to do it, but that's the shot that first comes to my mind when it comes to cueball placement. Even if I have to take a scratch to get there, its worth it to me to protect the position

Cory in dc

Verified Member
Both players are considered top 1p movers. Score is 1 to 1 in games, race to 3. Ball count is -1 to -1 and there's been a lot of pinching and squeezing as each player tries to keep whitey safe and jockey for better position. Also, no shot clock, so lots of creativity and good solid one pocket so far.

What would you do from here? Is it time to go and take a risk or find another move?

I haven't looked at the replies yet, but I'm pretty sure I'd shoot the 5-railer on the 9 with enough follow to get down near his hole.

Billy Jackets

Verified Member
We have had a lot of time to mull this position over, with top players you can't dare them to shoot, and you you can't do a Hope I. The only real shot is to be trying to make your position better , while giving them another headache to deal with. So, that means the cueball must be down on the bottom rail or behind a ball to me , anything else is simply too weak. I think if I were these guys level, or even a couple levels up from me I could bank the nine one rail , draw the cueball to my long rail and slither down to the bottom rail. You might even make the nine, the only downsides are coming up short with the cueball , not likely , and scratching, which is a real possibility. I would prefer to draw the cueball to his long rail between the 10 and the pocket, rather than straight down between the 3 and the pocket. But play to the shot that you are comfortable with, either one performed well is going to sting pretty good, imo. I hate gopher shots by anyone, even when they make them, I feel they were weak for shooting it. But, if you get a great position like this and allow them to get a breath of air, you risk getting beat from here , I would rather take a bath in the Speedway toilet than lose this game. If I hit the shot bad, I would make myself practice it until could do it it 10 times in a row, before I played another game.
I know a lot of you guys shoot really straight, but I think any shot at making the ball and staying up table , leaves a big potential for a 1 shot turn around of the game , I think that would be a huge mental error.

hayes1699

Verified Member
As far as I can see there is only one viable shot to play from here. Back cut the nine towards the thirteen with inside follow sending the cue ball multiple side rails and into the middle of the table. It would also be a nice play to over cut the nine sending it the the rail above the thirteen and caroming the nine off the group of balls along the foot rail. Come to think of it, I like that shot best. It has considerably more margin for error. The only issue to be concerned about is the potential scratch in the side. the shot can also be struck with draw. This to me appears to be a no brainer.

Cheers,

Tom
Thanks Tom!

unoperro

Verified Member
Anybody go back and look at how different the line from the 9 to the 6 appears in the 2 photos?
I appreciate these wwyd and have posted a couple but the camera often is a damn liar😉

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
Tom and I had talked about this layout
he had me set it up and shoot it the way he describes
I did not from the picture see the trajectory to get the cue ball take to go to side rail side rail and below that stripe on his side
puts the opponent in a heap of trouble
good call Tom 😀

Last edited:

MamboFats

From
Waregem, Belgium
Here's my 2 cents, if the angle is workable.

Shoot the 9 towards the long cushion just before the 10ball. The 9ball and 10ball get kicked to the other side.
The cueball has to be hit with topspin, so it rolls towards the short rail, just passing to the right side of the 3ball.

Last edited:

sorackem

Well-Known-Member
Big pocket this way and adjusting of balls near my hole
I like this play if I could feel/trust that I could get both CB & OB to cooperate.
You get a good stroke at the CB but it's fast and easily influenced.
I'd rather have the CB sit there, as you show, but I think, I trust 'me' to leave the CB more accurately on the bottom rail.
Even to the point that I believe that stripe at middle bottom will help by Eskimo kissing the rail.
(my shot - #21)
I think it's a good chance to make that shot and keep shooting from the bottom rail.