its your shot and thats your game winning ball
WWYD?
whitey correct anything you want if there are errors
whitey wwyd 3.png

cincy_kid

Verified Member
From
Cincinnati, OH
Is this the last ball on the table? If so, I guess I would try to barely thin the 9, making sure I can leave it in the jaws and get a rail and let my opponent shoot. I am too scared to jack up and masse back into it for the win lol.

Maybe you can shoot into the left pocket facing with some LHE and have the CB contact the 9 after some cushion depression but that's all I got. :)

unoperro

Verified Member
Sorry those balls don't appear to be resting on the table. If either was moved the other falls so....spot them up and opponent owes 1.

Whitey aren't you the rules guy😉🙂

Reactions: lll

darmoose

Verified Member
From
Baltimore, MD
appears if you shoot into the OB about 45 degrees or so with left english, putting right english on OB, it will fall in

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
a question similar was asked on azb
jay helfert mentioned a pique type of masse shot
mentioned that bill smith could probably do it
bob jewett posted this virtual animation

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
Sorry those balls don't appear to be resting on the table. If either was moved the other falls so....spot them up and opponent owes 1.

Whitey aren't you the rules guy😉🙂
in another discussion on azb
gregcantraill posted this
BCA rules
3.33 JAWED BALLS

If two or more balls are locked between the jaws or sides of the pocket, with one or more suspended in air, the referee shall inspect the balls in position and follow this procedure: he shall visually (or physically if he desires) project each ball directly downward from its locked position; any ball that in his judgement would fall in the pocket if so moved directly downward is a pocketed ball, while any ball that would come to rest on the bed of the table is not pocketed. The balls are then placed according to the referee’s assessment, and play continues according to specific game rules as if no locking or jawing of balls had occurred.

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
bob jewett followed up with this
In my view the "vertical projection" idea in the CSI/BCAPL rules quoted above is unclear and broken. I think a better rule is the way it is written in the WPA rules:

A ball near the brink of a pocket partly supported by another ball is considered pocketed if removal of the supporting ball would cause the ball to fall into the pocket.

If two balls are locked, and it is not obvious that they are keeping each other from dropping, test by pressing one of the balls back into the facing of the pocket. If the other ball moves towards or into the pocket, it is pocketed. Then release the pressed ball and see if it drops. Of course some care is required.

The WPA rule also takes care of full pockets.

Dennis "Whitey" Young

Verified Member
From
Klamath Falls, Or.
My table is a converted snooker table with a deep shelf, but the shelf has a more of a round edge where the ball drops into the pocket. In this photo the cue ball will drop for sure, and the 13 ball is questionable, but still does not have to drop on its own. On a normal pool table with a much less round on the shelf then neither ball would probably not drop on their own.

It is interesting the rules you guys have found on this scenario, although it mentions balls and not the cue ball. Thanks for finding these rules!
If the definition of 'Ball' is defined as; all balls including the cue ball. Then it would apply, but I do not think either bcapl/csi or wpa have this distinction. Correct me if I am wrong.
In my general rules I made this distinction.
Whitey

mr3cushion

Verified Member
From
Cocoa Beach, FL
The shot I proposed is somewhat, 'Tongue & Cheek' but, it's True someone had this position of the balls on the table, but it was his opponents pocket the CB and OB were stuck in.

It was game between Freddy the Beard and Tommy the Sailor in Bensingers. Tommy just refused to scratch and make both balls and spot up 2, needing them both. The whole story is in Freddy's book.

Dennis "Whitey" Young

Verified Member
From
Klamath Falls, Or.
You guys are having fun with this!
I was practicing some banks, and I did a 3-rail kick into the 13 that was hanging in the pocket, and this is what happened! LOL!
And I go man how would I make this if it is my pocket in OP. Help!!!!

mr3c has got me shooting through the web holes on my pocket. I am dyeing laughing at myself. Whitey

Last edited:

cincy_kid

Verified Member
From
Cincinnati, OH
it seems like if you use low english and hit it thin, it would impart low english on the 9 since they are side by side (not front and back), so maybe the low spin would trickle it in the pocket.

If it was prop bet on how many shots it would take to make it, I'm going Allen Hopkins masse style as Bob's diagram shows. If it's a one pocket match, I am thinning and going up table if I can.

sorackem

Well-Known-Member
a question similar was asked on azb
jay helfert mentioned a pique type of masse shot
mentioned that bill smith could probably do it
bob jewett posted this virtual animation
I'd be trying this Jewett masse'.