Wwyd from my match today

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
There's nothing that attractive offensively here. Needing only one, while he needs them all, I'd probably come with low left off the 8 ball, and try to bring the CB to the first diamond above my pocket.

That doesn't leave him much, and he'll have to start shooting some low percentage shots, which might give me an opportunity to end it. If not, I'd start working toward a wedge game.

~Doc

vapros

Verified Member
From
baton rouge, la
Bank the 10 gently and roll on the 8 ball. Don't shoot at your pocket from here. Not much excuse for taking any chance here that could cost you the game. You are supposed to win it.

straightback

Verified Member
From
owensboro, ky
Here is an alternate shot that Shannon sometimes shoots in these situations: bank the 10 at the middle diamond on the head rail, so that it goes up and back and then goes somewhere up table, drawing the CB to the foot rail. Lotta emphasis on laying the CB on the foot rail.

You could also 2-rail the 10 and hope to queer his long-rail banking lanes if be was a good banker - it is hard to keep him off popping that 6 straight back.

straightback

Verified Member
From
owensboro, ky
I wonder whether John Brumback would play shape banking the 6. If not, it's a one ball gopher, IMO. (gonna leave somethin' productive for op if it's missed.)

Mostly true, but I have lost games like that and it REALLY pisses me off, so I look to not give 'em an out of any type, especially if they are a hot shooter or banker. Admit it, if you were the other man down 7-4, you're popping the first thing that moves.

Mkbtank

Verified Member
From
Philly Pa
Wwyd from my match today

Mostly true, but I have lost games like that and it REALLY pisses me off, so I look to not give 'em an out of any type, especially if they are a hot shooter or banker. Admit it, if you were the other man down 7-4, you're popping the first thing that moves.

The nickname of my opponent here was "the cannon" because he fires, and well. I didn't know his name for the first few years I knew him.

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
Here is an alternate shot that Shannon sometimes shoots in these situations: bank the 10 at the middle diamond on the head rail, so that it goes up and back and then goes somewhere up table, drawing the CB to the foot rail. Lotta emphasis on laying the CB on the foot rail.

You could also 2-rail the 10 and hope to queer his long-rail banking lanes if be was a good banker - it is hard to keep him off popping that 6 straight back.

:D:D:D:D:D

Dr. Bill

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
From the pics it looks like a good possibility of clipping the 8-ball if you play the straight back on the 10. I am looking at cutting the 10 to the left enough to draw the cue ball over to the side rail. That makes the straight back on the 6 tough but if I hit it too hard the 10 could sneak over for a bank. Leave it too flat a thin cross corner could be available on the 8 -- so there are some potential down sides. Anyway from here it looks like my shot...

Attachments

• 2015-10-21 08_14_13-Greenshot.jpg
    2015-10-21 08_14_13-Greenshot.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 0

Tom Wirth

Verified Member
From
Delray Beach, Florida
There's nothing that attractive offensively here. Needing only one, while he needs them all, I'd probably come with low left off the 8 ball, and try to bring the CB to the first diamond above my pocket.

That doesn't leave him much, and he'll have to start shooting some low percentage shots, which might give me an opportunity to end it. If not, I'd start working toward a wedge game.

~Doc

I like your shot Doc. Leave the eight near the one and along the side rail, and draw the cue ball down the side rail a tad. I don't think it is necessary to bring it all the way to the first diamond. That would require more speed and send the eight to the head rail, potentially giving up a good straight back bank on it.

Tom

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
I like your shot Doc. Leave the eight near the one and along the side rail, and draw the cue ball down the side rail a tad. I don't think it is necessary to bring it all the way to the first diamond. That would require more speed and send the eight to the head rail, potentially giving up a good straight back bank on it.

Tom

Playing off the 8ball is risky because of losing control of the 8ball. Even only drawing back 10" it's very difficult to control the 8ball imo. Why move the 8ball from your side when it represents a deterrent for your opponent to shoot many return banks.

Dr. Bill

wgcp

Verified Member
From
long beach, mississippi
Just out of curiosity

Just out of curiosity

Mitch,
Did you kick bank the one to your hole and freeze the cue ball? you shot that against me in a game we played...

B