WWYD - Canadian Ghost Version #6

Renegade_56

Verified Member
I'm not following. Balls are not quite frozen. This would be a foul. Cannot just push to a perfect spot if I'm going to foul?
I wondered if this was directed at the shot I mentioned and so I just did a reenactment of it,,,,,,,, wasn't pretty, or nearly as easy as I thought. I didn't realize the cue ball and 15 were so close. Good call there Nick.

Nick B

Verified Member
From
Vancouver, Canada
Cue ball was way to close for any sort of forward play (without fouling). I would estimate about a dime thickness. See below high res version. One more thing. Cloth is about a week old and still very slick making all these check back shots a lot tougher.

1669256911825.png

Dennis "Whitey" Young

Verified Member
From
Klamath Falls, Or.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/dSDHfkLmBDemJsGb6
this was part of a training session that I put on for the head of the bca referees for he trains the referees, and he was also the DCC - TD. It was to bring conscious awareness to the fact that when the cue ball is close to the object ball that it is 'not' an automatic foul, but has to be judged upon the results, as with any shot!

I also performed a legal shot using draw or follow @ 1/4" separation for him, of which he filmed for training purposes. Also performed what constitutes an illegal shot when the cue ball is frozen to the cue ball, and it is represented to this day in the DCC rules. The rule is; you cannot lay the cue tip against the cue ball and then stroke (or push) thru. A very important rule for stack play intentional.

The stroke at 1:40 is relevant to this wwyd.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/VqCPikttmFPhojcK8 here is another related shot that Steve asked if it was possible to pull off. The use of a lot of inside english makes this shot look easy!
happy Thanksgiving, guys!

Whitey

Last edited:
Reactions: lll

Dennis "Whitey" Young

Verified Member
From
Klamath Falls, Or.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/a4TYzmpVnyxKJ8hy8
It is like Houdini, the trick is to let him lock himself in the safe, for it is easy to get out of the safe from the inside. Same with draw, the closer the easier.
Looks easy doesn't it. mr3c would like this stroke! A little recoil at the end but other than that it was pretty clean. If you practice this type of shot, then you start to get the ability to control the cb to do many different things with it.

This shot shows what is possible, but I agree in this scenario it is not the best shot selection. I like skimming the 15 and coming back into it, and protecting the 4 ball. I believe that is the game winner.
Another shot I like is coming off the rails and sending the 9 ball to my hole, a little risky since the opponent only needs one.
I agree with NIck, do not open up his 1/6

Enjoy, and happy Thanksgiving!
Whitey

Last edited:
Reactions: lll

Nick B

Verified Member
From
Vancouver, Canada
GREAT SHOT! Three problems. I don't think I can execute. If you don't leave him pinned to back rail you risk him banking a ball for the win. Plus who knows how the 15-1-6 end up....might just leave a duck for the win (opponent only needs one ball. Hit a cluster of 3 balls in a corner almost always leave a stray ball. Thus I don't think it's the right option for this situation.

Nevertheless great execution. Thx for video.

Last edited:

HowardK

Verified Member
From
San Jose, CA
I agree with Whitey. A thin hit with right hand English to hit the rail and bump back into the 15. Tough shot, but doesn't sell anything out.

Nick B

Verified Member
From
Vancouver, Canada
Well as indicated by KYBanks and others....I opted for kick carom. Got a little lucky because I hit the 9 a little on the thin side. This caused the 9 to trickle in off the 4 ball and the 2 did not have enough energy to come all the way back to my side. Made 3 (4-5-3) more and got behind his two balls and eventually squeezed out a win.

Result:
1669318064447.png

Kybanks

Verified Member
Well as indicated by KYBanks and others....I opted for kick carom. Got a little lucky because I hit the 9 a little on the thin side. This caused the 9 to trickle in off the 4 ball and the 2 did not have enough energy to come all the way back to my side. Made 3 (4-5-3) more and got behind his two balls and eventually squeezed out a win.

Result:
View attachment 439710

Nice result. I didn't see any other shot that would put pressure on the opponent.

Nick B

Verified Member
From
Vancouver, Canada
Has anyone asked the Big question? Did You win that game with that shot choice?
Made 3 (4-5-3) more and got behind his two balls and eventually squeezed out a win. After the 9 I made the 4. Cut in the 5 and ended up flat on the 3 ball. Made the 3 and the drew back to the side rail the then tucked in behind 6 & 1.

Dennis "Whitey" Young

Verified Member
From
Klamath Falls, Or.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/gHK2w478oLQ1Xt6u5 - mr3c twist / curve cb kick. The cb curves, otherwise this shot is not possible. Look at the severe angle that this shot has to be stroked on so you can realize how much it takes to clear those first balls, and how much you are changing the path of the cb.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/RtGm2MhnF5Gjqfxm7 - I opened my mouth that I could jump over those balls and make the ball, not realizing that I could not even reach the shot, so therefore the bridge!
Try to watch the stroke on both shots.

thanks mr3c for all that you do for the site, and happy holidays!
Whitey

Last edited: