WWYD - Canadian Ghost Version #6

OldSchool

Verified Member
No, Paul is not "in a pickle" with that 10ball sitting there. For $5 a game you can shoot any of those other shots, but in a serious game, the only shot to shoot here, as already stated by Bill, Dave, John, etc. is to high-karate the 10ball.

Last edited:
Reactions: lll

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
i am banking the stripe towards my pocket and stopping the cue ball behind the solid might need alittle draw so he cant shoot the 6
my ball is covered and he has no shot at his pocket
View attachment 439582View attachment 439584
my shot got no responses
assuming i dont leave him the 11
whats wrong with it?
help me learn 🤓
thanks in advance..... 👍

Nick B

Verified Member
From
Vancouver, Canada
my shot got no responses
assuming i dont leave him the 11
whats wrong with it?
help me learn 🤓
thanks in advance..... 👍
The problem is I don't think you can get it that deep to be a threat and a little touchy from a cueball point of view. Very difficult to do both. Any air on the four ball is certain death with a choice of starting shots. If you happen to take away available balls then the 3 will probably be there and I bank that back at my hole where a lot of goodness can happen and I can draw my rock back for coverage.

Stop shots are easy. From distance with warn cloth drawing back 1.5 rotations is asking a lot. Try it. Set up two balls 3 feet apart. Now draw two rotations back. Also odds are to get cue ball there your object ball is double banking back to my hole. Unless you get the ball really close to your hole and cover me up I simply take a foul and leave you plastered to top left rail and in a worse spot.

1667327741868.png

Nick B

Verified Member
From
Vancouver, Canada
Here is what I would have done, in order of preference and based on how well my opponent can run balls.

Option #1 White Lines - Decent ball runner but not a top flight runner. Thin cut on 13. Two rails to bottom. I don't try and get cute by trying to nudge up against 11 or 6.

Option #2 Yellow Lines - Decent shooter who can do damage. Take a foul. Get out of inning. I'm still up 3 balls.

Option #3 Grey Lines - Against not a good mover who won't simply take a foul back and tuck me into a worse spot. Foul here and if he leaves me around there I want to do this (probably not going to happen but in case he does).

Option #4 - Against a world class shooter. I challenge him for one by leaving him long and straight (on the rail) for the 8-Ball and nothing else.

1667329663760.png

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
The problem is I don't think you can get it that deep to be a threat and a little touchy from a cueball point of view. Very difficult to do both. Any air on the four ball is certain death with a choice of starting shots. If you happen to take away available balls then the 3 will probably be there and I bank that back at my hole where a lot of goodness can happen and I can draw my rock back for coverage.

Stop shots are easy. From distance with warn cloth drawing back 1.5 rotations is asking a lot. Try it. Set up two balls 3 feet apart. Now draw two rotations back. Also odds are to get cue ball there your object ball is double banking back to my hole. Unless you get the ball really close to your hole and cover me up I simply take a foul and leave you plastered to top left rail and in a worse spot.

View attachment 439593
Thanks nick👍

OldSchool

Verified Member
Here is what I would have done, in order of preference and based on how well my opponent can run balls.

Option #1 White Lines - Decent ball runner but not a top flight runner. Thin cut on 13. Two rails to bottom. I don't try and get cute by trying to nudge up against 11 or 6.

Option #2 Yellow Lines - Decent shooter who can do damage. Take a foul. Get out of inning. I'm still up 3 balls.

Option #3 Grey Lines - Against not a good mover who won't simply take a foul back and tuck me into a worse spot. Foul here and if he leaves me around there I want to do this (probably not going to happen but in case he does).

Option #4 - Against a world class shooter. I challenge him for one by leaving him long and straight (on the rail) for the 8-Ball and nothing else.

View attachment 439594

Uuh, except lol, in post #18 you said that your choice here would be to high-karate the 10 ball.

Billy Jackets

Verified Member
Let's assume we are playing for a big stack of money, or we are in a tournament we need to cash in, or nobody eats.
How many of you think hitting the 13 thin vs just playing the side rail to bottom rail safe and spotting a ball , is worth the risk? It looks like there is a giant opening to fall into off the 13, when in reality , how much margin for error is there really ? Especially since you are slow rolling the ball?

catkins

Verified Member
From
boulder creek ca
Ok my thinking
First off looks like you can play the thirteen about half ball and tie up the 8 and thirteen force the cue ball down and leave him to two rail the 1 back on his side and hopefully leave yo uthe edge of the 6 to play the bank carom, If he does nnot leave yo uthe bank carrom you still have the 10 ball to take out but yo uhave tied up a few more of his balls.

Dennis "Whitey" Young

Verified Member
From
Klamath Falls, Or.
lll,
I also picked your shot with the exception being that I brought the cb back to the head rail doubling up his balls.
But I want and need a ball by my hole.
My main concern is if I leave the 11 so it cross corner banks, but it might bank right into the hole.
I had this shot, or the karate chop shot.
Whitey

Last edited:

Billy Jackets

Verified Member
lll,
I also picked your shot with the exception being that I brought the cb back to the head rail doubling up his balls.
But I want and need a ball by my hole.
My main concern is if I leave the 11 so it cross corner banks, but it might bank right into the hole.
I believe it is a sound shot selection.

I wish I was there so I could really see what is possible in this scenario.
Whitey
After all the shots I have seen you make, You would probably make the bank, and run out,.

Jeff sparks

Verified Member
From
Houston, Texas
Where’s Whitey when you need him? Need a video please…
Hardly anything can go wrong with the shot I suggested…
Difficult to miss the whole 11 ball with the natural angle they
lay at! As long as you contact the 11 and move it over
it’s hard to give up a return bank with the 10 ball there…
Plus banking the 6 back up table at the 13/8 area may tie up
some of those balls…

J.R.

Verified Member
From
Chicago, Illinois
Hit the 10 ball 3/4 full, firm stroke, Max 12 O'clock English. Knock the 14 & 3 ball away and CB squats on the short bump.

View attachment 439585
I like Bill's shot. It has the propensity to clear out several of the object balls closest to my opponent's pocket while leaving the cue ball on the foot rail. However, in reference to Bill's diagram, I believe that the cue ball after striking the 10-ball will travel away from my opponent's pocket and toward my pocket.

Billy Jackets

Verified Member
Thinning off the 13, Is it impossible to scratch from here? If it is, I am all in on the shot, I think it goes on most pool room tables, and if I hit the 13 and trickled the cueball in and spotted up a ball anyway , plus gave my opponent ball in hand, where even I am a favorite to run out , from this position , I would probably need several tranquilizers and a ride to the Golden Gate Bridge to show off my 27 revolutions with a double twist from the top guy wires.

Last edited: