WWYD # 81,813

unoperro

Verified Member
He cut that ball didn't play the carom. Which doesn't really matter. I didn't like any of that power shot as no control over where everything is going.
I believe the 1 rail kick the 6 safe was still his best chance to win. 6 moves up the rail and whitey goes by your pocket.

There are many action players who are willing to take flyers as the upside is big and if they lose,well they have lost before and know there is more action.

darmoose

Verified Member
From
Baltimore, MD
He cut that ball didn't play the carom. Which doesn't really matter. I didn't like any of that power shot as no control over where everything is going.
I believe the 1 rail kick the 6 safe was still his best chance to win. 6 moves up the rail and whitey goes by your pocket.

There are many action players who are willing to take flyers as the upside is big and if they lose,well they have lost before and know there is more action.
I agree with you bud.........but you'll never get the applause for playing safe off the 6 and then winning the game a half hour later...... :unsure:

cincy_kid

Verified Member
From
Cincinnati, OH
I know he was brought up a while back but I wonder what ever happened to Martinez. Admittedly I haven't seen many of his matches maybe this one and one other. I need to search for some!

unoperro

Verified Member
I know he was brought up a while back but I wonder what ever happened to Martinez. Admittedly I haven't seen many of his matches maybe this one and one other. I need to search for some!
Rafael is like the Keyser Soze of pool. He flys under the radar for years.

Island Drive

Verified Member
From
florence, colorado
I'm his FB friend, long time friend from the W. Coast.
Rafael and I battled a few times in the late seventies W. Coast $100 a rack 9 ball.
Found out, we could not beat one another, same as Almanza and I.
Better to become friends. :)
I'll ask em, if he's still hittin' em.

He now lives in Colima Mexico.

Last edited:

cincy_kid

Verified Member
From
Cincinnati, OH
I'm his FB friend, long time friend from the W. Coast.
Rafael and I battled a few times in the late seventies W. Coast $100 a rack 9 ball.
Found out, we could not beat one another, same as Almanza and I.
Better to become friends. :)
I'll ask em, if he's still hittin' em.

He now lives in Colima Mexico.
Nice!

I was going to ask if you ever played him one pocket, but I guess he had not started playing that game yet?

Mkbtank

Verified Member
From
Philly Pa
Nice!

I was going to ask if you ever played him one pocket, but I guess he had not started playing that game yet?
He is the very first person I played on my first day at the derby. Spanish Mike Lebron said “Mitch play my friend Raphael”. I didn’t know who he was, but I knew enough not to gamble him based on mikes intro 😂. We played 5 bucks a game and broke even. He told me I took crazy shots Hahahha. Just kidding on that part lol. He was extremely friendly though.

Billy Jackets

Verified Member
I would shoot the stripe in , that spots it, and freeze on the cushion facing so he couldn't hit the ball on the spot . He can cut at the eight if he wants , I don't think thats a high % shot for many people gummed up. If using a cue, { if using a computer it's a hanger.}lol, even I am a favorite to make it ,and I'm legally blind.

Billy Jackets

Verified Member
Raphael was always one of my favorites, when he made up his mind to shoot, he came with all guns blazing!

Billy Jackets

Verified Member
He is the very first person I played on my first day at the derby. Spanish Mike Lebron said “Mitch play my friend Raphael”. I didn’t know who he was, but I knew enough not to gamble him based on mikes intro 😂. We played 5 bucks a game and broke even. He told me I took crazy shots Hahahha. Just kidding on that part lol. He was extremely friendly though.
Wow , you play even better than I had you clocked, I wish I could have played him, one of my all time favorites.

Mkbtank

Verified Member
From
Philly Pa
Wow , you play even better than I had you clocked, I wish I could have played him, one of my all time favorites.
Lol. Not at all. For 5 bucks I suspect he wasn’t even trying.

That first day of my first derby was great. After playing Raphael, I went downstairs and was invited by our own Jim the pilot to play In a partners game with him. It was Jim and I VS Larry Neville and Jeff Abernathy. Again I didn’t know who they were at the time. Probably a good thing because I may not have been able to hold my cue lol. Looking back I realize how awesome both opportunities were.

Frank Almanza

Verified Member
From
Upland, California
In the late eighties and early nineties at the Imperial Palace in Vegas they had a yearly tournament called the McDermott team open. Get your five best players and play. Martinez was on my team in 1990. We wound up winning the tournament that year. Top players from all around the country were there. Players like Incardona, Dallas West, Willie Munson, Mike Bandy, Larry Shultz, just to name a few.
In one match we were tied after regular play and the tie breaker was one game (eight ball) both teams to pick a player for that one game.
My team wanted me to play that game because they felt that my game was a bit more solid but I knew the opposing player was a safety minded player and that It could be decided with a jump shot. Rafael was a great jumper with his regular playing cue. No jump cues allowed.
We did put him in and it did come down to a jump shot and Rafael nailed it to win the game.
Rafael is a man with some scary and creative skills. I once saw him play three consecutive jump shots to win a tournament using his regular cue.

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
In one match we were tied after regular play and the tie breaker was one game (eight ball) both teams to pick a player for that one game.
My team wanted me to play that game because they felt that my game was a bit more solid but I knew the opposing player was a safety minded player and that It could be decided with a jump shot. Rafael was a great jumper with his regular playing cue. No jump cues allowed.
We did put him in and it did come down to a jump shot and Rafael nailed it to win the game.
Rafael is a man with some scary and creative skills. I once saw him play three consecutive jump shots to win a tournament using his regular cue.
this requires a few oh my god and wows..:)
:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: 😲😲😲😲

BRLongArm

Verified Member
I need them all. I am shooting the 11 in and leaving him in the jaws. And surviving for an inning. And after he makes a legal hit, I'll come up for air and see what I have. But it is going to be a lot better than what I have right now.

Billy Jackets

Verified Member
In the late eighties and early nineties at the Imperial Palace in Vegas they had a yearly tournament called the McDermott team open. Get your five best players and play. Martinez was on my team in 1990. We wound up winning the tournament that year. Top players from all around the country were there. Players like Incardona, Dallas West, Willie Munson, Mike Bandy, Larry Shultz, just to name a few.
I watched him and Danny Harriman years ago and they got hill hill and Danny put a great safe on him. Ball is about 8 inches from the pocket 3 inches off the rail and Raphael is up against the nine ball directly in between the cueball and that eight ball. Raphael took about 45 seconds to get down and kick the eight in { a 16 foot kick shot with about a 2 % error ratio,}off the end rail and shoot the nine in . Danny was in shock for about an hour afterward . I heard him later on the phone describing how great a safe he played lol.

Last edited: