Why is One Pocket not popular in New York?

BRLongArm

Verified Member
One pocket is gaining fans and players all over the country...except in the New York area. Why is that? Any thoughts?

Miller

Verified Member
From
East St. Louis Area
icbw, but can offer a couple thoughts. (1) don't know if diamond tables are that prevalent (2) seems like straight pool discipline remains the game of top/aspiring good players.

beatle

Verified Member
because they stopped gambling around there. 40 or 50 years ago thats all you got to play if you wanted to gamble for more than 3 dollars.

jtompilot

Verified Member
From
New Orleans
NY is so big on 14.1 there’s no room for 1P.
Sandcastle in Edison NJ is the big 1P room in the area. They have four tight tables. One of them is 3 7/8 or 4”. That table is brutal. Sandman told me to suck it up🤣

jtompilot

Verified Member
From
New Orleans
icbw, but can offer a couple thoughts. (1) don't know if diamond tables are that prevalent (2) seems like straight pool discipline remains the game of top/aspiring good players.
Gotham City billiards has all Blue label Diamonds. Been there four time and have never seen anyone gamble. Skyline has some action, very little 1P. Clifton Billiards had some 1P action but Vinny got rid of his only tight table, so that dried up. Castle billiards in Teterboro had some 1P action but they opened up their only tight table so they ruined that spot.

chief1

I have seen some action 8 ball games for fairly big money. Used to see some 9-ball action but that's about it. Most of the action now is between the Hispanic players and you never hear about it unless you were there

Fast Lenny

Verified Member
From
Arizona & OCNY
I lived in NY for the first 27 years of my life. I was intrigued by the game before 9 ball or the other games as soon as I got into a poolroom but barely anyone besides a few older guys played it. It was the push and poke style of one pocket and when I got the Phoenix I got a taste of the more aggressive style of play from Scott Frost and a few others. Gambling always seemed to be 9 ball in NY or sometimes 8 ball in the bars like any other place. The guys I used to play and struggle with in NY would have a tough time with me when I came back to visit years later as I because of the more aggressive style along with weighing out the risk reward.

mr3cushion

Verified Member
From
Cocoa Beach, FL
The first LD road trip I took was to the East Coast in 69-70, it was with Paul Jones from Chicago.

Charles 'Country' Monroe heard I was the Best 3C player in Chi-Town from Paul and told Country He could make some money around the Northeast, because I looked so young/with a good hustle, and had not been past, Michigan City, IN.
Country said, OK, bring him up, but, "Tell him if he doesn't win the 1st game around here, the best he can do is break even!"

Obviously, the meaning is that East coast had No gamble, 3C players even less. But, I always had an 'Ace' up my sleeve for that!

BTW, Country was one of the, 'Smartest' guys around being (White, Black, Brown or any other shade) when it came to Big money pool/gambling in general that I've met in my life!

Last edited:
Reactions: lll

cincy_kid

Verified Member
From
Cincinnati, OH
The first LD road trip I took was to the East Coast in 69-70, it was with Paul Jones from Chicago.

Charles 'Country' Monroe heard I was the Best 3C player in Chi-Town from Paul and told Country He could make some money around the Northeast, because I looked so young/with a good hustle, and had not been past, Michigan City, IN.
Country said, OK, bring him up, but, "Tell him if he doesn't win the 1st game around here, the best he can do is break even!"

Obviously, the meaning is that East coast had No gamble, 3C players even less. But, I always had an 'Ace' up my sleeve for that!

BTW, Country was one of the, 'Smartest' guys around being (White, Black, Brown or any other shade) when it came to Big money pool/gambling in general that I've met in my life!
Charles Martin or is there another Country named Charles Monroe? He talks about another Country, so maybe that's him?

Just curious as I was there when we inducted him into the Lifetime Pool In Action at the derby.

Here he is for anyone that doesn't know:

mr3cushion

Verified Member
From
Cocoa Beach, FL
Charles Martin or is there another Country named Charles Monroe? He talks about another Country, so maybe that's him?

Just curious as I was there when we inducted him into the Lifetime Pool In Action at the derby.

Here he is for anyone that doesn't know:

That photo is the 'Country' I knew. When you heard him speak, one could never forget it! He was about 6'2"-3" and had a 'Falsetto' voice.

Country took another 3C player from Chicago on the road. A generation before me, but we played each other for money at Bensingers. His name was Richard 'Baby Brother' Powell. He was the Best black 3C player ever. In fact he was so good, that when Hoppe played him in an exhibition game on the South side of Chicago at, Joe Brice's pool at 50th and the EL, he invited to take him on the road to do exhibitions with him. The same flaw that came to light with Country, rose it's ugly head with Mr. Hoppe. Brother was an habitual drunk!

A little side note: Allen Gilbert, 5 or 6 time US National 3C Champion was originally from Chicago. He and Baby Brother came up around the same time in 3C in Chicago. They played several times for the cheese, Al always came out ahead, but, he did say if Brother didn't drink so much, the game would have been a lot tougher.

BTW, in Freddy's book, he refers to, 'Country' as, 'Charles Monroe.'

Last edited: