Why do the call the game off one pocket one pocket.

Artie Bodendorfer

Verified Member
Thier are two pockets used too play the game. Wouldnt the correct name be pocket apeace.

Who was the person that gave the game its name One Pocket.

What if both players played one pocket and the both had the same pocket.

That would be a one pocket game.

I never herd who gave the name to the game . One pocket.

Is thier such a person. I dont no if anyone can figure this one out.

We all no its thier. But who named it. One pocket.

Just thought I would bring it up too see what kind off information is out thier.

vapros

Verified Member
From
baton rouge, la
Artie, 'pocket apeace', when spelled a little differently, is another name for the game of one-pocket. Many older players called it by that name. Maybe not as old as you and the Desert Duck, but still pretty old.

The current name, 'one-pocket', originated in the village of Barleycorn, Utah, around 1924. A guy named Rudy Ferguson, perhaps the best player of all time, usually ran eight and out in his first inning at the table. One day Pete Gomez, the ace commentator of all Utah, commented to Vern Skillet that since only one pocket was in use when he played, they just as well call it one pocket, so that's what they did. And we still do. A statue of Ferguson, carved from a cocobolo tree with beautiful grain, still stands in the courtsquare of Barleycorn, facing Tincup Billiards across the street. It is a great tourist attraction. Glad you asked.

Scrzbill

Verified Member
From
Eagles Rest, Wa
vapros said:
Artie, 'pocket apeace', when spelled a little differently, is another name for the game of one-pocket. Many older players called it by that name. Maybe not as old as you and the Desert Duck, but still pretty old.

The current name, 'one-pocket', originated in the village of Barleycorn, Utah, around 1924. A guy named Rudy Ferguson, perhaps the best player of all time, usually ran eight and out in his first inning at the table. One day Pete Gomez, the ace commentator of all Utah, commented to Vern Skillet that since only one pocket was in use when he played, they just as well call it one pocket, so that's what they did. And we still do. A statue of Ferguson, carved from a cocobolo tree with beautiful grain, still stands in the courtsquare of Barleycorn, facing Tincup Billiards across the street. It is a great tourist attraction. Glad you asked.

Breaking and running eight is pretty tough. Did he play power one pocket and break them wide open? I like to call it one pocket because the other guy has no chance at his pocket.

Deeman

Verified Member
vapros said:

Vapros,

Do what? :) I can never tell when you are serious or just leg pulling! :)

vapros

Verified Member
From
baton rouge, la
Deeman, please refer to Androd's reply. I guess you are correct- a lot of my stuff is pretty dim and nebulous, but things get pretty slow down here on the river. I hear it may get more exciting soon, when the high water comes. I have picked out one of the emoticons to attach to my baloney from now on.

To be honest (and why not?) I'm not sure about the part about the cocobolo wood. Could be just a local myth among the Mormons. All them cuemakers never let the cocobolo trees get big enough to carve statues. :D Be well.

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
vapros said:
Deeman, please refer to Androd's reply. I guess you are correct- a lot of my stuff is pretty dim and nebulous, but things get pretty slow down here on the river. I hear it may get more exciting soon, when the high water comes.

To be honest (and why not?) I'm not sure about the part about the cocobolo wood. Could be just a local myth among the Mormons. All them cuemakers never let the cocobolo trees get big enough to carve statues. :D Be well.

Keep your powder dry son !;)

Deeman

Verified Member
Funny, I have a table from the late 1700's that I got in Europe a few years ago! A "friend" told me, "You know how many butts I could get out of that table?"

I don't think DeeWoman would understand! :)

DeeMan

Artie Bodendorfer

Verified Member
vapros said:

Thanks to your reply. I never new that. I was thinking maybe nobody new who called it one pocket and why.

Thats a great explination you gave. I never new thay. And I realy never carried.

Tell lnwe when I asket. And Im glade thier is a answer. Howe ment people playing in the one pocket tournement no this.

I would guess maybe 4 people no this. But nowe since you but it up thier the number will be higher.

But thanks again.

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
Artie Bodendorfer said:
Thier are two pockets used too play the game. Wouldnt the correct name be pocket apeace.

Who was the person that gave the game its name One Pocket.

What if both players played one pocket and the both had the same pocket.

That would be a one pocket game.

I never herd who gave the name to the game . One pocket.

Is thier such a person. I dont no if anyone can figure this one out.

We all no its thier. But who named it. One pocket.

Just thought I would bring it up too see what kind off information is out thier.
Why do they do they call the game of one pocket "one pocket"? Well, this is the first time that I've posted on the All-Zaniness site but with a question this inane I'm certain that's where I am. To answer your very well thought out question: they call it one-pocket because that's what they call it.

Dennis

Artie Bodendorfer

Verified Member
Cowboy Dennis said:
Why do they do they call the game of one pocket "one pocket"? Well, this is the first time that I've posted on the All-Zaniness site but with a question this inane I'm certain that's where I am. To answer your very well thought out question: they call it one-pocket because that's what they call it.

Dennis

I would say that your answer is correct. That they call it one pocket. Because thats what its called.

I was courious abot why they called it one pocket. I realy never thought about it.

I just excepted the name what they called the game. And thats the way it is.

I guess it realy doesnt make a lot off sense trying too anialize it. Why the call it one pocket.

But like you said it is what it is. because thats the name they gave it. And I have herd it called various names.

Why try to figure everything out. Just use the name it has.

Fatboy

Verified Member
From
Vegas & LA
vapros said:

Barleycorn Utah was one hell of a spot, I remember my dad telling me about that town, one time Matt Dillon was on a wagon train headed to the Gold Rush in Cornhole Ca when the horses needed new shoes. They stopped off and Matt was not only the fastest gun in the west he was one hell of a one hole player, in dodge City Ks they called it "one hole", some of the criminal types and hustlers just called it ""Hole" for short, that was a dead give away a guy could really play if he just called it "Hole".

So Matt had to go to the black smith and organize the new shoes for the horses and got to talking to the black smith who was also a steer man, not a cow puncher steer man but a match maker steer man, he knew Matt would shoot him between the eyes if he gave him a bum steer so he out of fear and respect put Matt Dillon into a game with Freddy the Beard(except back then Freddy was kinda young and didnt have his beard yet) they broke out even. Dick was there too, but he was just Dick-because he hadnt traveled to San Jose yet that was to happen about 50-60 years later. Cardone was still on the nipple so he wasnt involved at all, on this particular day.

The black smith put Matt Dillon in the box with Fats, but Fats wasnt fat yet, you see there wasnt much to eat in Barleycorn Ut except barley and corn and its hard to get over weight on a vegan diet. You can see things were different Beard didnt have a beard, SJD was just Dick, Cardone was on the nipple and Fats was skinny. It was a different world thats for sure. Fats ate Matts cue and Matt decided he liked how Fats talked and ate at the same time so he let go. Matt knew Fats was ok.

Since Matt Dillon is a US Marshal in Dodge City Ks his name is known but back then people had more gamble they played Pharaoh cards at the saloon and they didnt post up, if you air barreled someone you handled it like gentlemen do you go outside and shoot it out and kill the guy who stiffed you, Sometimes it went wrong and the wrong guy would get shot, live by the gun die by the gun.

Matt wanted more action and someonee softer than no-beard Freddie(puberty was 3 years away for Freddy). Since Fats ate his cue, he had to borrow dicks cue, Dick was a stand up sort of guy, he stood up often, sometimes too often like in church;) and he loaned Matt the Stiffest cue he had. Matt liked a good stiffy. So Matt was steered into in a game of hole with some coal miner who had 3 buffalo skinners staking him for $500/game. The coal miner had the worst of it, because there was no coal in Utah back then, but he had good steak horses so if he could beat Matt Dillion he could make a big score, there were 5 strong boxes on the wagon train full of cash that was going to San Frisco to the banks. It was just flash money anyways, if Matt loses he would just shoot the coal miner anyways, who has a faster gun than Matt Dillon? nobody. The buffalo skinners didnt want any either.

Matt busted them all that night, got the horses shawed up and they hit the wagon trail. And kept heading to Ca. As you can see by this story that some of the greatest one pocket players had it rough growing up and thats perhaps why they like to play one pocket so much, they are not happy unless they are miserable playing a seemingly impossible game. ;)

Thats how It was told to me, dont shoot the messanger,

Eric

Last edited:

Deeman

Verified Member
Maybe we should rename it,

6-4 pocket, Two Hole Chess, 1/3rd Banks?

Artie Bodendorfer

Verified Member
Deeman said:
Maybe we should rename it,

6-4 pocket, Two Hole Chess, 1/3rd Banks?

People use too call it One hole. I even herd it caled. side apeace. Oe pocket apeace. Thier were a lot off different names.

But we all no what One pocket means.

And the even played last pocket nineball..Or back pocket one pocket. But it is a interesting and exciting game.

Jimmy B

Verified Member
Fatboy said:
no body liked my 1P story?:eek:

Yes indeed. I enjoyed it quite a bit. A great imaginative tale. I could never think up something like that, without getting sidetracked four or five times. You should be able to play great one pocket with an imagination like that if you work at it. Good luck on mastering those wet tables. How did you make out wi the rounder with that 8 ball game a while back? I hope you put him to hurting. I don't like rounders too much but which you said he was ok so Im sure he was. later..............

Fatboy

Verified Member
From
Vegas & LA
Jimmy B said:
Yes indeed. I enjoyed it quite a bit. A great imaginative tale. I could never think up something like that, without getting sidetracked four or five times. You should be able to play great one pocket with an imagination like that if you work at it. Good luck on mastering those wet tables. How did you make out wi the rounder with that 8 ball game a while back? I hope you put him to hurting. I don't like rounders too much but which you said he was ok so Im sure he was. later..............

Thanks, I been working hard on my writing for the past couple years now. However most writing is legat BS to lawyers or posts on forums that are advice or recounting something I saw/did, nothing creative or fictional. there was a guy on a Body building board who about once a month would write a short story similar to mine above, about this fictional body builder and his driver-he had a Rolls Royce; it was about their travels, 100% fiction and about 3-5 times longer than what I wrote, it gave the one above 15-4. that was my second attempt, I tried about 2 years ago and it was aweful.

I like this board and If I could write a funny story about 1P, fiction, nothing too long, I'd love to do it. I 100% dont want to pollute this site with non-sence, I took a chance the other night. My goal is to write a story every 4-6 weeks with a theme, same charcters and make it humorous and 1P related. I want it to be good enough that when I do write one most players enjoy it. I mite poke fun at some of out great champions here, but in a respectful way. I'm gonna give it a shot again in a month or 2. It think it will add more entertainment to this board, I dont post much here, I read/learn-and if I disagree I keep my trap shut because, I have to much to learn to correct any of the regular posters here.

so thats my goal, if it flops then I wont do it, this last one was choppy, i need better transitions and more depth to put the reader in the pool room, like that body builder did, I had his storied all saved but lost the hard drive they were on-this was 10 years ago. they were great anyone who went to the gym loved them. He devloped the charcters over time and had them mixed in with real body builders, I could do the same here. and the players I use would appreciate it, I know enough players and some things about them to poke a little fun at them in a respectful way. for example we might have Artie winning a spelling bee in a story, you get the point. and Matt Dillion kicks ass I watched 100's of episodes of Gunsmoke.

I hope it works, i'm going to really work on one, post it and take a poll. I really hope I do good enough to entertain those who who have helped me play 1P, its a payback(giving them a smile), good for my writing and good for the board. If its junk I wont waste the time ot pollute the board..

sorry for the long post i just woke up and am not 100% yet.

--------------------------------------------------------------

Cotton played great on Danny D last night, I know I been on that end lots of time. He reminds me of Alex, he is just damn hard to beat. I was thinking about it and I have spent more hours playing Cotton than any other player alive. I just dont have a great 1P brain, 8 ball comes natural to me for some reason. Rotation games fascinated me for a few years until I learned correct pattern play, I rarely see a player play a different road map than me.

Pls dont take this the wrong way, i'm 14% the 9,10 ball player Alex is, but I never really saw him play much. at Hardtimes the other night he played a guy from Japan who played a style like buddy-the CB was on a short leash and with perfetion, Alex was down 5-3 or 6-2 and hit him with 5 in a row. the thing I noticed is his pocket choices and mine were 995 the same, sure there were shots I cant execute he did and he plays 100000 times better than me, but our pattern play is very very similar, if a ball has 2 or 3 pockets he would play the same shot I would. Only on few real hard shots did he do something different than me, That made me feel real good. Just thought I'd share that. Now if I had his speed control-watch out!! LOL I'm way down on the list, ut its cool to see his style was very different than the Japan man, I'd never play the patterns the Jananese guy did, he reminded me of buddy, tang hoa argreed when I mentioned it, the rest of the rail did as well.,

Sorry for the long post, Kelly is away and i'm home alone board. I hope you liked it. i dnt often make long posts here,

my best to everyone, enjoy the warm weather,

your man in the trenches,

Eric/Fatboy:)

PS: I hope you feel better Billy, I am waiting fora call back. i'm gonna email today, its a back pain guy who works with patients and matches them up with Drs, he is good and I really want to see Billy out there sooner than later. He is a great man whom I have the highest respect for, I'm doing my best to help him. He was a BIG influence on me since i was 18, i'm 44. nuff said.:)