Who's going to the derby?

FastEddieF.

Verified Member
Sorry, I won't be there this year Beard.

Too much stuff going on out here next month to fade a long expensive trip in January to the Derby. The Markulis Memorial, one pocket and nine ball in Sacramento, followed by the US Open in Reno, will give me all the pool I can handle.

I am pushing 75 and my narrow escape against The Ghost showed me my game has slowed down some.:(

I am not saying I would not play that game, but from now on the action can come to me. 70 degrees in Sacramento or 10 in Louisville, I will stay here. The old arthritis doesn't like the cold.

Hi jrhendy,I was looking to sweat out some of your matches and maybe give you a little action. I thought maybe you would play Tom Wirth a little onepocket, it would be a great match. I hope you change your mind. I will buy you dinner the first night, just a little incentive.

chicagomike

Verified Member
Sorry, I won't be there this year Beard.

Too much stuff going on out here next month to fade a long expensive trip in January to the Derby. The Markulis Memorial, one pocket and nine ball in Sacramento, followed by the US Open in Reno, will give me all the pool I can handle.

I am pushing 75 and my narrow escape against The Ghost showed me my game has slowed down some.:(

I am not saying I would not play that game, but from now on the action can come to me. 70 degrees in Sacramento or 10 in Louisville, I will stay here. The old arthritis doesn't like the cold.

Sorry to hear you won't make it...I think I might
owe you a drink from our last get together. Good luck at your other tournaments.

For everyone else I will be there from the 28th til end. (Could only get limited time off). Any tuff action I will send to the ghost...I will handle the rest:heh

jrhendy

Verified Member
From
Placerville, CA
Sorry to hear you won't make it...I think I might
owe you a drink from our last get together. Good luck at your other tournaments.

For everyone else I will be there from the 28th til end. (Could only get limited time off). Any tuff action I will send to the ghost...I will handle the rest:heh

You owe more than one drink for stealing my massage therapist a few years back.

She was in Sacramento last year and wouldn't give me the time of day. Something about a preference for young bald heads.:D

wgcp

Verified Member
From
long beach, mississippi
John

John

unfortunate that you are not going... I was looking forward to a night of drunken debauchery.... but oh well, that just leaves more Jack and cokes for me...

however should you change your mind, drinks are on me... hell it should only cost about as much as the whole trip.... but we only live once... you drink like a fish...

Bille

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
You owe more than one drink for stealing my massage therapist a few years back.

She was in Sacramento last year and wouldn't give me the time of day. Something about a preference for young bald heads.:D

I, for one, will be very disappointed at not seeing you again. You are a semi-hero of mine, aside from your choice of friends, WGCP not withstanding.

Beard

jrhendy

Verified Member
From
Placerville, CA
unfortunate that you are not going... I was looking forward to a night of drunken debauchery.... but oh well, that just leaves more Jack and cokes for me...

however should you change your mind, drinks are on me... hell it should only cost about as much as the whole trip.... but we only live once... you drink like a fish...

Bille

I have always liked Jack and Coke because I could drink a ton of them and I will miss seeing you guys and sharing a drink or twenty.

A few years ago, when they still had the US Open One Pocket in July in Las Vegas, I finished fairly high in the money. I owe this to Jack and Coke.

I had two wins and no losses going into the 2nd day. My first match on the 2nd day was Bernie P. The match took 6 1/2 hours and I won on the hill. I had to play my next match with Chris Gentile right away because of the long match with Bernie. Chris beat me four zip. I had him four balls to zero twice and couldn't hang on. Artie B. sweated the whole match and chewed me out for just going through the motions and not digging in and playing tough.

I could not help it, I was dead tired and brain dead and had the last match of the night coming up with Paul Song, who had just knocked out Jose Parica and had beat a former US Open winner right before that.

San Jose Dick and Frank The Barber took a look at me and took me to the bar. I had two quick jolts of Jack and took a fortified coke with me to the table for the match. Now, I never drank when I played, but this time it worked and I played a great match. The booze got the blood going in my brain and relaxed me enough to focus and play well. I beat Paul hill/hill and was in the final eight. I lost to Alex P. in the morning.

Since the Jack and Coke worked so well for me, I started carrying a flask around in my case. It never worked again but I keep trying.

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
I have always liked Jack and Coke because I could drink a ton of them and I will miss seeing you guys and sharing a drink or twenty.

A few years ago, when they still had the US Open One Pocket in July in Las Vegas, I finished fairly high in the money. I owe this to Jack and Coke.

I had two wins and no losses going into the 2nd day. My first match on the 2nd day was Bernie P. The match took 6 1/2 hours and I won on the hill. I had to play my next match with Chris Gentile right away because of the long match with Bernie. Chris beat me four zip. I had him four balls to zero twice and couldn't hang on. Artie B. sweated the whole match and chewed me out for just going through the motions and not digging in and playing tough.

I could not help it, I was dead tired and brain dead and had the last match of the night coming up with Paul Song, who had just knocked out Jose Parica and had beat a former US Open winner right before that.

San Jose Dick and Frank The Barber took a look at me and took me to the bar. I had two quick jolts of Jack and took a fortified coke with me to the table for the match. Now, I never drank when I played, but this time it worked and I played a great match. The booze got the blood going in my brain and relaxed me enough to focus and play well. I beat Paul hill/hill and was in the final eight. I lost to Alex P. in the morning.

Since the Jack and Coke worked so well for me, I started carrying a flask around in my case. It never worked again but I keep trying.

I will be carrying a flask also. I sure as hell aint going retail in the fukkin joint!

Beard

jrhendy

Verified Member
From
Placerville, CA
I will be carrying a flask also. I sure as hell aint going retail in the fukkin joint!

Beard

I took RA to the big tournament in Galveston a few years back. The prices there were brutal. When I checked out of the room the tab was $400+ more than I thought it would be, he had been charging drinks to the room all week at $8 a pop.

That was a bad trip for me. I lost 8k to Billy and Artie and $200 to The Ghost. You probably got jelly even though you were not there.:D

I was mad as hell at Ronny, but by the time we got to the airport I was buying beers and lunch and gave him another small bite.

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
I took RA to the big tournament in Galveston a few years back. The prices there were brutal. When I checked out of the room the tab was $400+ more than I thought it would be, he had been charging drinks to the room all week at $8 a pop.

That was a bad trip for me. I lost 8k to Billy and Artie and $200 to The Ghost. You probably got jelly even though you were not there.:D

I was mad as hell at Ronny, but by the time we got to the airport I was buying beers and lunch and gave him another small bite.

No Jelly. My crew insists you be on the premises. They never mail Jelly. I also buy cold cuts, bread, and snacks for the room. The food around there aint that good to begin with, and its too pricey. They had a 4 star breakfast spot in town that was closed last year. Brutal. 2 eggs, homefries, bisquits and a 1/2 inch thick, 8 inch pork chop for like a fin ($5). Excellent pancakes, etc. I can only hope that they have reopened.

Beard

jrhendy

Verified Member
From
Placerville, CA
No Jelly. My crew insists you be on the premises. They never mail Jelly. I also buy cold cuts, bread, and snacks for the room. The food around there aint that good to begin with, and its too pricey. They had a 4 star breakfast spot in town that was closed last year. Brutal. 2 eggs, homefries, bisquits and a 1/2 inch thick, 8 inch pork chop for like a fin ($5). Excellent pancakes, etc. I can only hope that they have reopened.

Beard

The Glenn's steered me to a spot in the little town down the road that was cafeteria style with a killer daily special. The fried chicken was great and whitefish on Friday that coveted the whole plate. Pete and his sons went almost every day.

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi

Well, at least you had ole Doc to chauffeur you around to the bank so you could load up...:D. Then Helfert got into my shorts with a bet on your contest with B & A! Still-- I thought that was a great venue, and was disappointed they couldn't put another one together after that year. Who the hell wants to play pool during an ice storm!:confused:

~Doc

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
The Glenn's steered me to a spot in the little town down the road that was cafeteria style with a killer daily special. The fried chicken was great and whitefish on Friday that coveted the whole plate. Pete and his sons went almost every day.

You remember where that was at? The breakfast spot that was closed last year is still closed this year. However, a Bob Evans has opened up in town and they have a Five Guys Burger place also. I don't know if Five Guys has made it out West yet. President Obama woke me up to Five Guys. Five Guys and killing Bin Laden are the only notches I have put in his gun so far.

Beard

jrhendy

Verified Member
From
Placerville, CA
You remember where that was at? The breakfast spot that was closed last year is still closed this year. However, a Bob Evans has opened up in town and they have a Five Guys Burger place also. I don't know if Five Guys has made it out West yet. President Obama woke me up to Five Guys. Five Guys and killing Bin Laden are the only notches I have put in his gun so far.

Beard

It is in New Albany, on or near the left side of the road heading back to Louisville. I cant remember the name. If any of the Glenn brothers are there, ask them. It was their favorite place.

Billy Jackets

Verified Member
I'm planning on being there Sat to Fri to play the one pocket only.

It looks like there are several fairly new members here that I have never met, so stop by and introduce yourself if you get a chance.

Thanks.

Bernie Pettipiece.

Bernies a great guy and a great player, he squeezes harder than an anaconda in heat.
extremely knowledgeable about the game and it's finer points.
I'll be there Sun and Mon and maybe Tues bud, hope to see you there.

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
It is in New Albany, on or near the left side of the road heading back to Louisville. I cant remember the name. If any of the Glenn brothers are there, ask them. It was their favorite place.

John, I am pretty sure that that is the joint that is now closed (and has been closed for over a year). The cook and owner was a very fat guy, he way have passed. I would just go there for breakfast, but I would have to bet that everything there was good.

It was on the left just as soon as you got into town. It was set back a little with a parking lot in front. That it?

Beard