who were/are your one pocket heroes?

evergruven

Verified Member
my dad introduced me to pool, but I'm not sure he was 'hip to 1p..
efren was/is another pool hero, and I credit him as much as anybody for inspiring me to give 1p a try
I also feel compelled to shout out the gang at accu-stats
even before I knew anything about the game (which wasn't that long ago)
I'd listen to commentators like billy and danny and be wowed by their knowledge..still am!

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
The two men who most influenced me were Grady Mathews and Artie Bodendorfer. I'd played some 1P in the late '60s in L.A., but I really didn't know what I was doing. In the '90s I got Grady's tapes on 1P, which really impressed me to where I wanted to play more and learn the game better. But in those days no one played 1P in Calif. except for a few top players. When I moved to Mississippi in 2000, I found lots of guys to play 1P with. I played Grady's Gulf Coast Classic event in 2004, the same year Steve started 1p.o. A few years later I met Artie in Galveston, where I had a good learning session with him, broken up only because they needed the table for a match. Later I hooked up with him at his home in Vegas.

cincy_kid

Verified Member
From
Cincinnati, OH
Some of this is in my intro thread in the member forums but once I was introduced to one pocket around the mid 90's, I pretty much only wanted to play it. I spent so much time (and money lol) playing the Carrelli brothers (Billy and Ricky) learning everything I could. I was lucky to have some real good players to watch, play with, learn from like my old buddy Gary Spaeth. He still takes the cake for me as far as just being amazed watching him play any game at all. When he was on, no human could touch him (banks, rotation, one hole, whatever the game was with a cue). The problem was, like most of us, he had good and bad days so he didn't always win. I also was able to play some with Steve Cook in his latter years. I also learned some from Grady's video that he put out back then and I tried playing anyone and everyone I could. That is probably more of an answer to "how did you learn one pocket or who were some of your mentors" but I think it still applies here. :)

HowardK

Verified Member
From
San Jose, CA
1968 Ronnie Allen.............at Janscos.
I agree, Ronnie Allen. I first saw Ronnie play at Caesar's Tahoe tournament in the '80s. He took 2nd in the 9 ball tournament losing to Mike Sigel. Ronnie was one of the most entertaining pool players I had seen. In addition, he made some spectacular shots. We later became friends and I learned a lot more about his one pocket game watching him play in action games and mini tournaments.

HowardK

Verified Member
From
San Jose, CA
John Henderson. I've known John for about 40+ years and have always considered him a good friend. Sometimes you don't realize how good a one pocket player he is until you watch him play against a great player.

Island Drive

Verified Member
From
florence, colorado
I wish I was around to see him play... one of the best ever I have heard...
At 19 yr old and the way he dressed, I called em our Jack Nicklaus of the pool world.
He dressed Sharp, flashy like a golfer often in bright pastel colors, spent time at the links too.
Was a Golf course right in that area.
Gamblin on both sides of the green felt. Day/night

jrhendy

Verified Member
From
Placerville, CA
In the 60’s, when I started moving around and gambling more, I was too dumb and proud to seek a mentor. I played just about anyone who wanted to play. Ronnie Allen, Billy Burge, Grady, and Marvin Henderson are a few. I mention them because they are in the Hall of Fame. There were dozens more over the years.

While I had played some one pocket, I became fascinated with it in the late 50’s/early sixties, at Hollywood Billiards, watching Sleepy Bob play Jack Perkins a few times. I would not call Ronnie Allen a mentor, because I could not match his style of play, but I watched him many times, and also played him over the years. He always chided me for not going for my hole enough.

I had more talent than brains, but what a wonderful game to be part of all these years.

Island Drive

Verified Member
From
florence, colorado
Just our small piece of pie in the sky....Some never get peace. see yah this yr.

And your quote Hendy....

''I had more talent than brains, but what a wonderful game to be part of all these years.''

Spot on
....now make sure they're all frozen ;).

Last edited:

mhilton777

Verified Member
From
Rosemount, MN
I was extremely lucky to learn the basics from Shannon D., Scott F., John Brumback and Mary K. (who taught me cue ball control), but Jason Moran has been my mentor/devil for the past 15 years...and yes I have seen him play better than the pros many times...
Funny thing is, when I was on the phone with Buster this morning, he asked how Jason has been and made the comment that he plays a lot better than he gives himself credit for and is one of the nicest guys he has met! I have always enjoyed playing Jason and have learned a lot from him over the last 5-6 years!

kollegedave

Verified Member
From
St. Louis, MO
Many of you know lfigueroa on this board.

I started playing against Lou when I was 14. I am 42 now. To the extent I ever do anything good playing one pocket (or even pool generally), a lot of credit has to go to Lou's willingness to share some of his knowledge with me. Lou has always threatened to write a book. If he does write a book and I know it is available for purchase, I would enthusiastically be the first to purchase one. After 25 years of friendly competition, I believe Lou is even more knowledgeable than even his biggest fans realize.

Over the years, he has shared with me extremely astute observations of other players' games and other ideas that I think hint at a creative and unique understanding of pool. Were he to share more with all of us, I think we would all be made better or it.

After Lou, I would add Shannon Daulton. When I was a kid, Lou told me to rent (we could rent Accu-Stats VHS tapes at the pool hall we played at) any tape with Shannon Daulton's name on. I did. At that time, (late 90's), I think Shannon Daulton may not have been the best at every aspect of 1 Pocket, but he certainly performed every aspect among the best. I thought he had absolutely no weaknesses in his game, and he was fun to watch. Every year I go to the DCC, I hope I draw Shannon Daulton.

kollegedave

unoperro

Verified Member
Many of you know lfigueroa on this board.

I started playing against Lou when I was 14. I am 42 now. To the extent I ever do anything good playing one pocket (or even pool generally), a lot of credit has to go to Lou's willingness to share some of his knowledge with me. Lou has always threatened to write a book. If he does write a book and I know it is available for purchase, I would enthusiastically be the first to purchase one. After 25 years of friendly competition, I believe Lou is even more knowledgeable than even his biggest fans realize.

Over the years, he has shared with me extremely astute observations of other players' games and other ideas that I think hint at a creative and unique understanding of pool. Were he to share more with all of us, I think we would all be made better or it.

After Lou, I would add Shannon Daulton. When I was a kid, Lou told me to rent (we could rent Accu-Stats VHS tapes at the pool hall we played at) any tape with Shannon Daulton's name on. I did. At that time, (late 90's), I think Shannon Daulton may not have been the best at every aspect of 1 Pocket, but he certainly performed every aspect among the best. I thought he had absolutely no weaknesses in his game, and he was fun to watch. Every year I go to the DCC, I hope I draw Shannon Daulton.

kollegedave
Shannon butting heads with Efren is as good as 1 pkt gets.

Grayback1973

Verified Member
Chris Gentile for sure. I got very lucky one night at the pool room that used to be on the corner of Harlem and Pershing called Cue Time Billiards.Chris was waiting for a guy to show up for a game and the guy basically stiffed him. I started chatting with Chris and eventually I persuaded him to play me some one pocketfor $10 a game. I told him I'd play him even with one condition....that he would analyze all of my shots and his shots and go through what he was thinking and what I should be thinking. The session lasted about 3 hours and my one pocket game went up 3 levels that night. The simplicity of his thought process was so eye opening and his willingness to give me that incredibly cheap lesson I am incredibly grateful for. I now love one pocket and enjoy playing in tournaments when I can. Unfortunately Covid has kept me out of pool rooms for the last few years:(

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
Chris Gentile for sure. I got very lucky one night at the pool room that used to be on the corner of Harlem and Pershing called Cue Time Billiards.Chris was waiting for a guy to show up for a game and the guy basically stiffed him. I started chatting with Chris and eventually I persuaded him to play me some one pocketfor $10 a game. I told him I'd play him even with one condition....that he would analyze all of my shots and his shots and go through what he was thinking and what I should be thinking. The session lasted about 3 hours and my one pocket game went up 3 levels that night. The simplicity of his thought process was so eye opening and his willingness to give me that incredibly cheap lesson I am incredibly grateful for. I now love one pocket and enjoy playing in tournaments when I can. Unfortunately Covid has kept me out of pool rooms for the last few years:(
Nice story about your session with Gentile. He's one of the few guys who most of us could learn something from by watching. He never rushes, is patient, and almost always chooses the right shot. OTOH watching Frost, Chohan, Alex, etc. is entertaining, but unless one has those CB and shot making skills there's not much to learn about the game.

Reactions: lll