Who had the highest gear you've ever seen for the dough?

boingo

Verified Member
From
San Jose, CA
only a fool plays on when their opponent is playing close to or better than they are. quit and play again another time when they may be dogging it for some reason.
if you put your ego into the match then you are starting out on the losing end with too much to make up.
Freddy's story about Fats and Richie Florence is a good example of that. The fancy phrase is "situational awareness".

Island Drive

Verified Member
From
florence, colorado
there is and has been a big hand full that could and did.
jacked up isnt really all that tough if you are stable and have played enough of it

Well, at my college age of 19, seeing someone running 8 and out back to back in the air I thought was not possible. I also remember over hearing Lassiter saying, I can only play 16 hrs straight, then I must get my sleep.

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
One pocket gambling, Janscos/Johnston City IL probably 1969 or 70 getting 8/5 on the money.
Ronnie Allen in a one pocket game, playing a wealthy cowboy from TX and givin' em weight (Ronnie had to play one handed ''in the air'').
For $800 a rack he ran 2 racks in a row ''In the air''.
I walked away shaking my head saying to myself, that's absurd.
I think his road game was 4 no-count one handed jacked up. Watched him beat a good local shortstop (Tony Ola) in L.A. with that game. The last rack he finished with two long banks for the cheese. Tony unscrewed.

beatle

Verified Member
play someone their own game you always lose unless you know something about it they dont and have a better counter to it.

anytime you are offered a bet that seems impossible that bet is the worst one you can make.

Reactions: lll

Jeff sparks

Verified Member
From
Houston, Texas
Who plays at that high gear all the time? Chohan plays great, but I think we would all agree that first session against Dennis in 2018, he was unconscious. Danny is a great player, but that match against Chip was supposed to last three days and it lasted two hours with Chip making four balls. Who plays at the highest gear all the time? Nobody does. The question was who has the highest gear for the cash? I pointed a few matches that I thought was the highest gear I ever saw for the cash. As far who plays the best for the cash consistently, it has to be Robocop. You don't earn that nickname unless you aren't human.
Not necessarily the greatest player but the player who could flip that switch when needed and play like godzilla to get the cash. The guy that can turn it on and play as good as he needed. Two guys stick out to me. Jose Parica and Danny Medina. Serial killers that could each reach a level of play that had to be seen to be believed.
An “on the square” gear, (no chemicals added) playing either 9 ball or one pocket and for about 20 years....
Jose Morales...better known as Efren Reyes... he got the cash... and was a gentleman all the while...

There have been countless examples of “Flashes of brilliance” performed by many of the top pros over the years, some with the aid of a pharmacist, some ala natural, however when calling the roll for who had the highest gear when it was needed to get the cash... Efren Reyes was the man...

OneRock

Verified Member
From
South Florida
With respect to all the great players in the past, My vote would be Sky. I've just witnessed too many times when he hits that switch in different games.
I was at JOB's during the midnight madness tournament the night he ran 3-10 packs. He was mad because he never ran a 11 in the race to 11 format.
I was also at the bank ring game race to 100 rails in the action room at DCC when towards the end he ran 25 in BTR banks to pretty much close it out on the other players. That's most likely the highest BTR run ever in an action match. Ray should really post that video clip up for public viewing.
On a bar table, he has the highest gear and is also, hands down the best bar table player in the world right now and maybe ever.
Same in Banks, except for maybe Billy and JB in his prime.
One pocket probably Scott, running 18 and out three times in one session for the huge cash against Dippy is something that will probably never be repeated. I also credit his high gear and aggressive style play into changing the game of one pocket into the more offensive style game as we know it today.
There's a bar table money match coming up between him and Dennis Orcollo. Who's the favorite, in your opinion?

timdog24

Verified Member
I was several generations after, but have always heard that Harold Worst was basically unbeatable for a time. Believe he passed away quite young.

The Beard always had very high praise for him.

BRLongArm

Verified Member
Just in case there are any doubters: Dennis went to Birmingham and won the one pocket, the nine ball event and the ten ball event. Swept all three events.

crabbcatjohn

Verified Member
From
Benton, Ky.
Just in case there are any doubters: Dennis went to Birmingham and won the one pocket, the nine ball event and the ten ball event. Swept all three events.
I'm looking to take the under dog on the upcoming match against Sky. I posted terms in the members section.

BRLongArm

Verified Member
Just asking what other folks say they are getting.
You're looking for 20 games. Good luck with that. I make Sky the favorite based on what he did to Alex. It was 10 ball, but he beat him 75-53. That's pretty convincing.