Who had the highest gear you've ever seen for the dough?

Trebor

Verified Member
From
Action, USA
Not necessarily the greatest player but the player who could flip that switch when needed and play like godzilla to get the cash. The guy that can turn it on and play as good as he needed. Two guys stick out to me. Jose Parica and Danny Medina. Serial killers that could each reach a level of play that had to be seen to be believed.

baby huey

Verified Member
I do agree about Parica in the early 80's and onward but not so with Medina. I never felt Medina could handle tough games for long periods with the best. Don't forget Keith McCready who may have had the highest gear of all.

BRLongArm

Verified Member
Most of the one pocket players of today think Dennis has the highest consistent gear, but they'll tell you Danny Smith has the highest gear when he's on. And Tony has a frightening gear as well.

12squared

Verified Member
From
Fort Collins, CO
Not do old school, I always though Kim Davenport was the strongest for the money in tough games. I only saw him in action 2 or 3 times but he sure left an impression.

Last edited:

Billy Jackets

Verified Member
Not do old school, I always though Jim Davenport was the strongest for the money in tough games. I only saw him in action 2 or 3 times but he sure left an impression.
I knew his twin brother Kim , he played pretty good too. :love: :geek::poop:(y):eek:

Last edited:

Island Drive

Verified Member
From
florence, colorado
I always thought Ronnie Allen's game in the sixties....played the best for the Big Dough, along with what I heard about the Rack/Detroit and Cornbread Red.
Then you had players like Matlock, with the Big Heavy Cue ball on the bar table, his mental game was also unfold able.

Island Drive

Verified Member
From
florence, colorado
I do agree about Parica in the early 80's and onward but not so with Medina. I never felt Medina could handle tough games for long periods with the best. Don't forget Keith McCready who may have had the highest gear of all.
Having known/played Danny through his prime yrs, his high gear was pretty unstoppable when he got rollin'.
But tough games, for long periods I agree.

Never did see him lock horns for 15 hrs.
In match play at anY event, he was tough for ANY player to get past.
Few knew, he first learned to play on the bar tables, then saw the big money was on the 9', and switched, late seventies.
And when he got to doing that snake/Lecky thing with his tongue, he was ''in cue''.

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
When I first started getting out to major One Pocket tournaments and side action in the early 90's, I was very impressed with the young Shannon Daulton. At that time, about 20 years old, he played with quite the flair and fearlessness!

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
Eddie Taylor told me the best money player without a doubt was Marcel Camp.
Said he would play one game for all he had, however much and play his top speed.
He said he though Cornbread was second for playing high.

As for me, I played Macready 10 hours and he never missed a ball.

crabbcatjohn

Verified Member
From
Benton, Ky.
With respect to all the great players in the past, My vote would be Sky. I've just witnessed too many times when he hits that switch in different games.
I was at JOB's during the midnight madness tournament the night he ran 3-10 packs. He was mad because he never ran a 11 in the race to 11 format.
I was also at the bank ring game race to 100 rails in the action room at DCC when towards the end he ran 25 in BTR banks to pretty much close it out on the other players. That's most likely the highest BTR run ever in an action match. Ray should really post that video clip up for public viewing.
On a bar table, he has the highest gear and is also, hands down the best bar table player in the world right now and maybe ever.
Same in Banks, except for maybe Billy and JB in his prime.
One pocket probably Scott, running 18 and out three times in one session for the huge cash against Dippy is something that will probably never be repeated. I also credit his high gear and aggressive style play into changing the game of one pocket into the more offensive style game as we know it today.

mr3cushion

Verified Member
From
Cocoa Beach, FL
For the, 'Cheese', the High Gear players were, Cole Dickson, Louie Roberts, Keith McCready, playing 9 ball! Of course, back then, they were all, 'chemical' players! And Mike Carella.

BRLongArm

Verified Member
I saw Danny Smith beat Chip Compton a 7 ahead one pocket set in two hours and two minutes. Chip made four balls in the entire match. Tony's day one versus Dennis in California's "The Big One" match was pretty amazing. Alex's run at Derby City in 2015 or 2016 was pretty phenomenal. The best domination I ever saw, though, was Danny Smith giving Billy Thorpe 9-7, 8-7 in Buffalos in 2019 or so. They started the match with Billy getting 8-7. Then it went to 8-7, 9-7 and the last six hours was 9-7. Danny beat him 30 ahead. They played about 30 hours and Danny beat him for 30K. There was literally nowhere Billy could put him to get safe. It was otherworldly how good Danny played for hour after hour. He would make a three ball combo and run out, a multi-rail bank and run out, and the balls were seemingly out of play. Danny's play is high variance, and you don't know which one you are going to get, but when he's on, nobody wants any.

BRLongArm

Verified Member
Who plays at that high gear all the time? Chohan plays great, but I think we would all agree that first session against Dennis in 2018, he was unconscious. Danny is a great player, but that match against Chip was supposed to last three days and it lasted two hours with Chip making four balls. Who plays at the highest gear all the time? Nobody does. The question was who has the highest gear for the cash? I pointed a few matches that I thought was the highest gear I ever saw for the cash. As far who plays the best for the cash consistently, it has to be Robocop. You don't earn that nickname unless you aren't human.

Last edited:

BRLongArm

Verified Member
This was LSJohn's comment after the Danny vs. Chip match:

Just got home from Memphis.

I've watched hours and hours of Efren, Alex, Scott, JJ, Shannon, SVB, T-rex, Hall, Busty, Buddy, Grady, Ronnie, etc...... but last night I watched the strongest 7 games of 1P I've ever seen. In my opinion, Danny would have beaten anyone who ever played the game last night. I only remember Chip missing one ball and two safeties, both safe/escape attempts played from nightmare positions.

I'm lucky no one wanted to let me have Chip at 5/4 because I would have thought I had a good bet. :eek:

Anybody want to guess the total ball score in the 7 games? I think I know it exact but I could be off slightly. (If ya know, don't mention it at least for a few hours.... let anyone who wants to take a guess have at it.)