Who are the top 5 active regular posters?

CaliRed

Verified Member
From
Heart of the Midwest
I was thinking about this, this morning on the way to work.

Who are the top 5 players that are active contributing regulars here? List them in order 1 thru 5.

Now we're talking about TODAY. Not 5 years ago, 10 years ago, 20 years ago, or in the Duck's case, 89 years ago.:)

If you rounded up all the active regular posters and had them play a race to 5 for $2500, who do you think would come out on top? Second.. Third?... I think we all know the regular posters are. Now Shannon Daulton doesn't count, because he only came on once or twice to post. I mean people that are considered regulars, even if they joined recently.

The Ghost has the line on all the regular joe's. Let's use John Brumback as a litmus test. Where does he stand on this list?

How would the Ghost match up with John?

Or SJD/Freddy/Artie?

Or John Henderson?

Or Incardona?

I'm curious... This is not a ego thing, this is not to knock anyone.. it's just meant for all of us buddies here to speculate on who would win if they played a race to 5 for $2500 tomorrow. Who would between John Brumback and each of the regular active posters? If you pick a couple ahead of John, who would win if the people you pick played each other?

Just for fun... not for any bragging rights or anything.:D

SactownTom

From
Sacramento CA
Close very Close

Close very Close

Top posters as of Jun 8, 2011

Cowboy Dennis 5796
SJDinPHx 4926
lll 4094
Artie 3950
Freddie 3190

NHSteve 3154
GulfportDoc 3099
1pkt Ghost 2998
andRod 2446
WinCardona 1694

CaliRed 1538
John Henderson 1170
Me 648

John Brumback

Verified Member
Duh How would we ever really know?

Duh How would we ever really know?

Only way I can think of is to have a round robin type of tourny.
Sounds fun.I just don't see how anyone Is just going to guess,Red.
Interesting ? though,for sure.I know I'll be down the list some.
I can see the trophy now.."Master of One Pocket.Org"
Maybe The next DCC? I'll bet we could do It. John B.

petie

Verified Member
From
Citrus Springs, FL
Blind guess. The first problem is I don't know who belongs to all of the user names. Like, who is Newfosgatesucks? Many others spark my curiosity. Other than that, I don't know how the ones you mention rank. The thing that got John in, and I'm all for it, was the proviso that it be a Hall of Fame player. That would leave out the Ghost and most of the rest of your list. How good is Doc? How good is Rod? It would be hard for good old players to beat good new players. I'll go out on a big limb and say maybe Ghost beats John Brumbeck at One Pocket. No offense John, I really don't know what I'm talking about. Ghost beat Ike at DCC. That's pretty strong in my book. If Billy is healthy, I know he is very knowledgeable, good under pressure, and has fantastic cue ball control. That's a hard combination to beat. Artie is extremely knowledgeable but, according to his own words, doesn't play any more. Watch out for these types. Dick would likewise disqualify himself but I know he could be right back in the thick of it if he would invest a few months of practice. Very difficult question, Greg. Maybe we should have an all OnePocket.org tournament to decide.

This overlapped with John Brumbeck's post. Great minds.

John Brumback

Verified Member
petie said:
Blind guess. The first problem is I don't know who belongs to all of the user names. Like, who is Newfosgatesucks? Many others spark my curiosity. Other than that, I don't know how the ones you mention rank. The thing that got John in, and I'm all for it, was the proviso that it be a Hall of Fame player. That would leave out the Ghost and most of the rest of your list. How good is Doc? How good is Rod? It would be hard for good old players to beat good new players. I'll go out on a big limb and say maybe Ghost beats John Brumbeck at One Pocket. No offense John, I really don't know what I'm talking about. Ghost beat Ike at DCC. That's pretty strong in my book. If Billy is healthy, I know he is very knowledgeable, good under pressure, and has fantastic cue ball control. That's a hard combination to beat. Artie is extremely knowledgeable but, according to his own words, doesn't play any more. Watch out for these types. Dick would likewise disqualify himself but I know he could be right back in the thick of it if he would invest a few months of practice. Very difficult question, Greg. Maybe we should have an all OnePocket.org tournament to decide.

Good point about not knowing everyone.I had not even thought about that.
I take no offense at all. This Is going to be fun! That Is strong beating Ike!
Believe It or not I've ask Ike to play before,and he refused.I'm probably glad.lol Don't worry,I know I'm way down this list.Why don't people use their real names? Maybe They don't wan't to knock their action though,I guess.
John B.

CaliRed

Verified Member
From
Heart of the Midwest
petie said:

Thanks petie... yes I realize not everyone knows each others games... but I think most of us that aren't on the radar map of winning tournaments or even playing in some major tournaments, are not going to beat John Brumback. So lets rule out a lot of people right off the bat. Everyone has seen John play, whether it be banks or some onepocket. He's a straight shooting guy that's been putting balls in holes most of his life, he's going to make banks like you won't believe and he's used to puttting the rock where he wants after he banks.... he just might be lacking a bit in the overall strategy of the whole thing. Or getting out of traps and the finer things.

So people like Rod, Artie, SJD, Billy I, Ghost, John H. and and others (I'm in a hurry here) .. need to ask themselves if they played John, would they beat him. Not Can they beat him once, but do they think they could beat him overall.

Once again, this is us throwing things up in the air and it's not meant for anyone's ego to be bruised and people don't need to be sayng they can't beat anyone, if they think they can.... I'm just looking for a general idea.

We're not woofing here or barking, or posturing.... just overall--- who do you thinkk the top 5 are and in what order.

If Ghost thinks he can beat everyone on this site, then he should say so.

If Billy I says he can beat everyone except for John B.... then he can say that

If Rod thinks he could beat Dick and Freddy, but not Artie... then just say it..

I wonder if this can be done to honestly get a general idea of who plays the best on this site, that is a active regular poster.

or is everyone going to be in brag/bark/defend mode????? :D:D:D

I know that no one knows everyone else's games... I think most of us that we don't know who they are, probably are not good enough to beat guys that are active in the pro scene or strong local players. but if a bunch of us come up with 5 people that get mentioned the most as being the top players, then we can decide who amongst those, are best in order....

I think we all have a pretty good idea of where the top players games are. John H, we've seen on streams, John B on streams, SJD on streams... Billy I maybe from some action games.... You've seen Ghost play on Video .. there's 2 videos on my vimeo site... Ghost Bernie, John H all playing. Everyone knows how they might play against someone else.. from that we might make something out of it.

Last edited:

CaliRed

Verified Member
From
Heart of the Midwest
SactownTom said:

Cowboy Dennis 5796
SJDinPHx 4926
lll 4094
Artie 3950
Freddie 3190

NHSteve 3154
GulfportDoc 3099
1pkt Ghost 2998
andRod 2446
WinCardona 1694

CaliRed 1538
John Henderson 1170
Me 648

hehe.. I can see where you might have got that, just by reading my subject line..... but I want to know who plays the best onepocket... NOT who can hit the Send button the most :D:D:eek::p

hehe.. ya made me laugh there Tom!

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
I haven't seen most of the people mentioned here play.

I would imagine John B is close to the top player named.

SJD admits his pool has slipped. :(

Billy I is on injured reserve. But a few years ago he played very well.

I haven't seen the Ghost play, or Doc, or Dennis
I watched John H and Artie for about 3 hours in Galveston.
They're hackers like me, I could certainly compete with them. :)

The only guy on the site I've seen that could really play is Senor,
and he has quit.

Rodney (androd) Stephens

John Brumback

Verified Member
androd said:

and he has quit.

Rodney (androd) Stephens

Do you mean he has Quit playing or...do you mean he has quit In him?? lol
Thanks Mr. Stephens.John B.

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
greg
heres my 2 cents
in alphabetical order
artie,freddy,dennis sjd all claim to be not in their prime :eek:
billy I. is injured

it seems john h, and the ghost play fairly even (icbw)
they may be more savvy in 1p than john b.
BUT they are older:(

john b. still is actively playing against the top pros and winning
he has to be the favorite

to the other posters i cant comment on their games.

as for me
FORGETTABOUTIT:)
not even close:eek: :(

Jimmy B

Verified Member
Big Bad John B. Any game that you can name and any amount that you can count. Don't let his modesty and good nature fool ya. He's a killer

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
SactownTom said:

Cowboy Dennis 5796
SJDinPHx 4926
lll 4094
Artie 3950
Freddie 3190

NHSteve 3154
GulfportDoc 3099
1pkt Ghost 2998
andRod 2446
WinCardona 1694

CaliRed 1538
John Henderson 1170
Me 648
I guarantee all of you that from the time I joined this site in Dec. 2008 till today I haven't even spoken 5796 words in my life but I sure do write the hell out of a few:p . It would please many of you to no end to know that if we were in the same poolroom together you might go for days without hearing me say a word. I don't have much use for talkers, I went to a poolroom to play & to gamble at pool.

P.S. Tom, the post counters do not work properly anyway but I am still a blabbermouth on this site.

P.Ps. As far as playing ability goes the Dennis of 8 years ago could give me at least 9-7 and maybe 10-7 but I still have fun when I play and that's all that ever mattered to me, no matter what.

Dennis

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
Jimmy B said:
Big Bad John B. Any game that you can name and any amount that you can count. Don't let his modesty and good nature fool ya. He's a killer
JB,

Not to detract from John's great game at all but just to comment on your all-encompassing statement. I've heard many extremely good players make open-ended comments like this (woofing) and they felt real good about it until I pointed to the 5'X10' snooker table and said let's play some even-up one-pocket over there. Not one ever took the challenge and their woofing usually slowed down quite a bit, at least in my presence:) .

Dennis

petie

Verified Member
From
Citrus Springs, FL
androd said:

and he has quit.

Rodney (androd) Stephens

Rod,
For some reason until now I was thinking you were Rod Curry aka Surfer Rod.

Pete (petie) Saxton

Jimmy B

Verified Member
Cowboy Dennis said:
JB,

Not to detract from John's great game at all but just to comment on your all-encompassing statement. I've heard many extremely good players make open-ended comments like this (woofing) and they felt real good about it until I pointed to the 5'X10' snooker table and said let's play some even-up one-pocket over there. Not one ever took the challenge and their woofing usually slowed down quite a bit, at least in my presence:) .

Dennis

Oh yea. Gulp. I er forgot about that . Please excuse...............

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
From
Ghosttown
CaliRed said:
Thanks petie... yes I realize not everyone knows each others games... but I think most of us that aren't on the radar map of winning tournaments or even playing in some major tournaments, are not going to beat John Brumback. So lets rule out a lot of people right off the bat. Everyone has seen John play, whether it be banks or some onepocket. He's a straight shooting guy that's been putting balls in holes most of his life, he's going to make banks like you won't believe and he's used to puttting the rock where he wants after he banks.... he just might be lacking a bit in the overall strategy of the whole thing. Or getting out of traps and the finer things.

So people like Rod, Artie, SJD, Billy I, Ghost, John H. and and others (I'm in a hurry here) .. need to ask themselves if they played John, would they beat him. Not Can they beat him once, but do they think they could beat him overall.

Once again, this is us throwing things up in the air and it's not meant for anyone's ego to be bruised and people don't need to be sayng they can't beat anyone, if they think they can.... I'm just looking for a general idea.

We're not woofing here or barking, or posturing.... just overall--- who do you thinkk the top 5 are and in what order.

If Billy I says he can beat everyone except for John B.... then he can say that

If Rod thinks he could beat Dick and Freddy, but not Artie... then just say it..

I wonder if this can be done to honestly get a general idea of who plays the best on this site, that is a active regular poster.

or is everyone going to be in brag/bark/defend mode????? :D

I know that no one knows everyone else's games... I think most of us that we don't know who they are, probably are not good enough to beat guys that are active in the pro scene or strong local players. but if a bunch of us come up with 5 people that get mentioned the most as being the top players, then we can decide who amongst those, are best in order....

I think we all have a pretty good idea of where the top players games are. John H, we've seen on streams, John B on streams, SJD on streams... Billy I maybe from some action games.... You've seen Ghost play on Video .. there's 2 videos on my vimeo site... Ghost Bernie, John H all playing. Everyone knows how they might play against someone else.. from that we might make something out of it.

If Ghost thinks he can beat everyone on this site, then he should say so.

Yes, I do think that :eek:...as long as they give me 9-7...:)...

Seriously though, here's my opinion >>> I believe that between myself and the other handful of best players on the site, it's a close game - there may be at most, a 1/2 ball to a ball difference between some of us, and on any given day any of us might beat the other one.......also, fuggedabout John B. saying he's down the list :rolleyes: I'm just not sure if he's playing 'the modesty card', or the 'laying in the weeds to get action card', by saying that...;)...and as soon as he learns the game just a little more, he'll be the clear favorite on the site, since he's younger, and a much stronger 9ball and bank pool player than any of the rest of us.

- Ghost