What's the List of 3C players that played OP!

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
Locally -- meaning the Boston area -- you had Boston Shorty of course -- but you also had his contemporary (actually slightly older) Bob Ingersol. Ingersol played both. Also Paul Melnichuck was from Boston, later moving to Las Vegas and he played both.

mr3cushion

Verified Member
From
Cocoa Beach, FL
Locally -- meaning the Boston area -- you had Boston Shorty of course -- but you also had his contemporary (actually slightly older) Bob Ingersol. Ingersol played both. Also Paul Melnichuck was from Boston, later moving to Las Vegas and he played both.
In 69, went on my first road trip East with Paul Jones from Chi-Town, Charles 'Country' Monroe from NY sent for us to come East. One of our stops was, Olympic Billiards, (The Mines) in Boston. I had the pecking order of players I wanted. Charlie DeVall..., Paul, Ingy, then Shorty. 3 out of 4 were around at the time. Probably won around $1,000 -$1,500 from the front 3. Paul and Ingy played both games well. IMO, I think Ingy was 2nd only to Shorty in the area in both games at that time.

They had a, 'trick' 3c table at McGirrs that I got trapped on the first day, lost about $2K. Little Franky woke me up, the next day the PR emptied out on that player, this time on another table of my choosing, We charged them around $7,500! That's when they called Shorty in. He gave me 3 on 35, we played 4 games, we broke even.

Short one about, Paul. He came to a big 3C event at, 'Cushion n Cue' in the Detroit area, maybe 82-84. It was summer time, he showed up riding a motorcycle from, 'Beantown', with a, 'One piece cue' strapped to the cycle, like a flag pole!

Also, Paul had a sibling that played 3C too, John. He didn't play anywhere near Paul's speed in 3C.

Last edited:

12squared

Verified Member
From
Fort Collins, CO
Short one about, Paul. He came to a big 3C event at, 'Cushion n Cue' in the Detroit area, maybe 82-84. It was summer time, he showed up riding a motorcycle from, 'Beantown', with a, 'One piece cue' strapped to the cycle, like a flag pole!
He did the same thing in the mid 70s before I moved from Detroit area.

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
In 69, went on my first road trip East with Paul Jones from Chi-Town, Charles 'Country' Monroe from NY sent for us to come East. One of our stops was, Olympic Billiards, (The Mines) in Boston. I had the pecking order of players I wanted. Charlie DeVall..., Paul, Ingy, then Shorty. 3 out of 4 were around at the time. Probably won around $1,000 -$1,500 from the front 3. Paul and Ingy played both games well. IMO, I think Ingy was 2nd only to Shorty in the area in both games at that time.

They had a, 'trick' 3c table at McGirrs that I got trapped on the first day, lost about $2K. Little Franky woke me up, the next day the PR emptied out on that player, this time on another table of my choosing, We charged them around $7,500! That's when they called Shorty in. He gave me 3 on 35, we played 4 games, we broke even.

Also, Paul had a sibling that played 3C too, John. He didn't play anywhere near Paul's speed in 3C.
Everything you describe about these guys is dead on, from what I know or have heard from locals! Yes, I heard Paul M traveled to Johnston City with that one piece cue by bike as well!

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
Steve
Did bob busa play billiards too?
He may have, but I never saw that. In the Boston area there has been a long tradition of 3-cushion table availability along with the pool tables, so a lot of players around there dabble in both. Mazin Shooni's room "Amazin Billiards" in Malden -- has four gorgeous 3-c tables along with their 12 pool tables now for example. Good room candidate for our MOT in fact -- except only 11 or 12 pool tables and no Diamonds -- yet -- but I hear they are getting a couple. I hope that is true!!

chief1

Everything you describe about these guys is dead on, from what I know or have heard from locals! Yes, I heard Paul M traveled to Johnston City with that one piece cue by bike as well!
Yes I agree that was a great description of of the guys from Boston. I was very close to Shorty up until his death and Paul until he moved to LV. I played Paul 3 cushion hundreds of times at Bowl Haven, Goodtimes and the Town Line. Ingy played at Townline right up to when he passed away I believe. There was also a guy that was a 2 hundred ball runner and a top 3 cushion player from Somerville that placed high in several tournaments in NY, his first name was Chet, I forget his last name. Lots of short stop 3 cushion players but no-one hardly gambled at anything playing any game.

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
Yes I agree that was a great description of of the guys from Boston. I was very close to Shorty up until his death and Paul until he moved to LV. I played Paul 3 cushion hundreds of times at Bowl Haven, Goodtimes and the Town Line. Ingy played at Townline right up to when he passed away I believe. There was also a guy that was a 2 hundred ball runner and a top 3 cushion player from Somerville that placed high in several tournaments in NY, his first name was Chet, I forget his last name. Lots of short stop 3 cushion players but no-one hardly gambled at anything playing any game.
Welcome to the site, Chief! Glad to have you.