what's the best pocket size/dimensions for 1p?

cincy_kid

Verified Member
From
Cincinnati, OH
I have been contemplating that myself when I have my table set up someday. Although I have heard good points by various players, I think I will still end up going 4.5. Mainly so if friends and family play on it they will not get too discouraged lol. Plus that's the size Derby uses and it seems to work out ok. If I was creating a one pocket only table for action players, I would for sure say 4.25.

Reactions: lll

J.R.

Verified Member
From
Chicago, Illinois
I nearly always play on Diamond Pro Am tables or Brunswick Gold Crowns I, II, and III. The pocket sizes on the Diamond tables that I have played on are 4 1/8, 4 1/4, and 4 1/2-inch pockets. The pocket sizes on the Brunswick Gold Crowns I, II, and III that I have played on are 4 3/8, 4 1/2, and 4 5/8-inch pockets. I prefer to play one pocket on Diamond Pro Am tables with 4 1/4-inch pockets... so long as the table rolls straight.

Reactions: lll

Dennis "Whitey" Young

Verified Member
From
Klamath Falls, Or.
It depends on whether you like offense or defense. 4-1/4" pocket makes it easier to remove balls, harder on cut shots. On Diamond rails the corner pockets play soft so they have to go to smaller pockets to make them play a little tougher on ob coming down the rails.
On Brunswick Super Speed, not sure how tough their pockets play, and what size pocket should be recommended. But if you have a deeper shelf then that could effect the size pocket that is desired.

I like deeper shelf vs. keep making the pocket smaller. I believe a deeper shelf can be done pretty easily by using fiberglass resin. Although I have never done it. Deeper shelf combined with lively rails and 4-1/2" pockets works, can go smaller on pockets if you want to get use to aiming at a smaller target. Definitely smaller pockets with Diamond rails.

I think Diamond rails are angled cut at the pockets to allow the ball to be pocketed easier vs. the cut on Brunswick, but have no specific knowledge to offer up.
Whitey

johnnytronic

Verified Member
I would say 4 1/4" is probably the smallest on a diamond that you would need to go--Anything smaller may hinder hard strokes too much.
If the table and balls are dirty it will even appear to play tighter.
Playing rotation on 4 1/4" pockets is not very enjoyable. I have lost so many games because the pocket holds on to the ball and just allows the shooter to roll that shot in.

Whitey had mentioned that he felt it was easier to pocket balls on a diamond vs a Brunswick but I have to say IME it's the opposite. Brunswicks play longer and generally to get a tight pocket they utilize double shims or even triple--This has the pocket playing odd in a unique way. Additionally the shelf is not as deep and I believe has a deeper cut bevel or the edge of the pocket is more rounded. A diamond can be ordered w/ 4 1/4" pockets with no need to add extra shims which still allows for a crisp somewhat predictable point.

Hey you might find this video interesting: Shows close up of the pockets on a tight diamond and how to dig certain balls out.

beatle

Verified Member
its funny, everyone says hey lets do all this stuff to promote pool and one pocket.

then they try to get small tight pockets, so new players get discouraged and don't even begin to get interested.

when pockets were big and bad players could still make balls, pool rooms flourished.

now when i go to a room all the bad players are playing on the smaller tables which most have easy pockets and being smaller, balls are easy to make and pool is fun.
and the easy slop bar tables which used to not have so much play are full now.

johnnytronic

Verified Member
From what I'm hearing, the 7ft smart diamond revitalized pool. I know many league players that only play on them and go to events that are 7' based. It's not a bad thing, we can still get some of those players over to One Pocket. Any game or format that gets more players to engage is going to be good for the industry as a whole.

cincy_kid

Verified Member
From
Cincinnati, OH
its funny, everyone says hey lets do all this stuff to promote pool and one pocket.

then they try to get small tight pockets, so new players get discouraged and don't even begin to get interested.

when pockets were big and bad players could still make balls, pool rooms flourished.

now when i go to a room all the bad players are playing on the smaller tables which most have easy pockets and being smaller, balls are easy to make and pool is fun.
and the easy slop bar tables which used to not have so much play are full now.
That's my logic on going 4.5" and even at that size it's not like it's easy to pocket balls, it's what most tournaments use isn't it?

What size pockets at Griff's? Buffalo's? I know every pool room has 1 or a few special tighter tables for one pocket matches but for the regular table size on tournaments what are they using?

crabbcatjohn

Verified Member
From
Benton, Ky.
The way the good mechanics make a Brunswick tighter with a deeper shelf similar to a Diamond is to add rail extensions. In other words wider rails.. I'm not sure if you can order them off the shelf for a GC but Penguin makes extended rails for Valleys. My neighbors have 4-1/8 Penguin extended rails on their Valleys that we play on.. People pay to Diamondize their Gold Crowns to make them play tougher. But similar to Valleys, the shelf will still be a little shorter so they will be easier. Diamonds play tougher because of the deeper shelf, has nothing to do with the pocket angle...

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
The way the good mechanics make a Brunswick tighter with a deeper shelf similar to a Diamond is to add rail extensions. In other words wider rails.. I'm not sure if you can order them off the shelf for a GC but Penguin makes extended rails for Valleys. My neighbors have 4-1/8 Penguin extended rails on their Valleys that we play on.. People pay to Diamondize their Gold Crowns to make them play tougher. But similar to Valleys, the shelf will still be a little shorter so they will be easier. Diamonds play tougher because of the deeper shelf, has nothing to do with the pocket angle...
i had my goldcrown rails extended to make a 4 1/4 pocket
plays great
the gold crowns that are triple shimmed the rail near the point acts "funny" (it seems to have a divot )
and banks where you have to hit there are not reliable because of the inconsistent rebound
at least that has been my experience

BRLongArm

Verified Member
Most of us believe one pocket is best played on pockets where you can take out balls close to the pocket. So we like 4.25" pockets. The pros play on new felt and it's not much of a contest when everything slides in. I like to watch pro one pocket on worn in felt, 4.25 or 4.125 inch pockets. Otherwise, they make a mockery out of the game because they never miss.

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
4.5 seems to be the sweet spot these days for onepocket.
I agree. 4-1/2" is plenty tight for the average player, and that size is my favorite. I don't really care what the pros play on. They can play on 4 inchers if they like, although it would be boring seeing them miss so many shots...:)

What tickles me are the guys who constantly brag about how tight are the pockets they play on. It's as if it makes them a cut above-- a variation on how powerful their cars are, how much weight they can lift, or who has the biggest............ whatever...😄

I like to enjoy shooting one-pocket. 4-1/4" or 4-1/8" is too much work, and not a little frustrating.

crabbcatjohn

Verified Member
From
Benton, Ky.
I agree. 4-1/2" is plenty tight for the average player, and that size is my favorite. I don't really care what the pros play on. They can play on 4 inchers if they like, although it would be boring seeing them miss so many shots...:)

What tickles me are the guys who constantly brag about how tight are the pockets they play on. It's as if it makes them a cut above-- a variation on how powerful their cars are, how much weight they can lift, or who has the biggest............ whatever...😄

I like to enjoy shooting one-pocket. 4-1/4" or 4-1/8" is too much work, and not a little frustrating.
The 4-1/8 pockets with extended rails actually makes a valley play decent IMO. Its more about that than the size of the pockets. 9ft not so much fun that size for me ..

12squared

Verified Member
From
Fort Collins, CO
I will say that 4.75+" pockets are too forgiving and gives one an inflated sense of achievement, although fun when trying to play the ghost. But pockets that are too large changes the game of one pocket.

I'm in the process of having my pockets reduced to 4.25"...I may hate them but I'm looking forward to it. The good news is that my cloth should/will play like new for many months so that will help, and if they play too tight I'll simply keep the balls polished 😉.

I'll know more in a couple months.

LSJohn

Verified Member
From
monett missouri
I will say that 4.75+" pockets are too forgiving and gives one an inflated sense of achievement, although fun when trying to play the ghost. But pockets that are too large changes the game of one pocket.

I'm in the process of having my pockets reduced to 4.25"...I may hate them but I'm looking forward to it. The good news is that my cloth should/will play like new for many months so that will help, and if they play too tight I'll simply keep the balls polished 😉.

I'll know more in a couple months.
think 4.25 should work fine in the dry air you'll have most days.

How about this: 4.5 in the south, 4.25 in the north, the mountains, and the desert? But special setup for tournament play with new cloth, .25 smaller than each of those. Could the bottom corners be shimmed in a way that would allow the shims to be taken out after the tournament? Seems like that might come close to ideal.

LSJohn

Verified Member
From
monett missouri
Hey, Groover.

First, you want to specify how the pocket is to be measured.

Here's Diamond Billiards creator Greg Sullivan:

Diamond's standard is 4 1/2, the way Greg measures.
Sorry Sheldon... I think I took out my embarrassing giggle after you gave me a laugh.